[fa.laser-lovers] MacPaint and Apollo screens in Scribe

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (07/14/85)

From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.arpa>

An earlier message asked about including MacPaint pictures in Scribe
through Scribe's @picture command.  John W. Peterson supplies an
answer in the following two messages.  The mentioned files, available
for ftp from the Arpanet, will be posted directly to fa.laser-lovers.

                ---------------

   1) 12-Jul John W. Peterson
   2) 14-Jul John W. Peterson     MacPaint and Apollo screens in Scribe

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: Fri 12 Jul 85 19:40:10-MDT
From: John W. Peterson <JW-Peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA>
To: alan%cucca@COLUMBIA.ARPA
cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA, laser-lovers@WASHINGTON.ARPA,
    JW-Peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA

At Utah, we developed some custome PostScript code that allows you to stick
MacPaint pictures into Scribe documents.  The results look excellent.  This
is not a version of AppleDict, that is, it only knows about MacPaint, and
doesn't do smoothing.  But it is pretty easy to use with other bitmap
formats, for example, we've gotten it to work with Apollo GMF files.

If anybody is interested, I could probably post it.
-------

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Sun 14 Jul 85 01:33:57-MDT
From: John W. Peterson <JW-Peterson@utah-20.arpa>
Subject: MacPaint and Apollo screens in Scribe
To: furuta@washington.arpa
Cc: laser-lovers-request@uw-beaver.arpa

I've bundled up the routines we've developed for putting MacPaint pictures
into Scribe documents.  It has essentially three parts:  A PostScript
program that takes a standardized bitmap format (based on MacPaint's
compression scheme) and generates the bitmap for the scribe run, and
two C programs.  The first program converts MacPaint programs to this
standardized format, the second coverts Apollo bitmap formats.  Both
of these C programs automaticly prepend the PostScript header to their
output.  Both programs have all sorts of options for controlling the
size and position of the resulting picture.

If you anonymous FTP to Unix host utah-cs, the files are in
	pub/scribepic.shar

Thanks go to Jim Schimpf for developing the Apollo code.

[PS - If you find there's demand, feel free to post this to net.sources]

jp
-------
-------