[fa.laser-lovers] Canon CX toner cartridges

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (08/07/85)

From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.arpa>

The summary of the messages below is "yes my site interchangably uses
Apple, HP, and Imagen cartridges in our Canon CX-based laser printer"
and "the Canon laser printer and the photocopier are quite different
machines."

I believe that I will now refrain from forwarding further votes of
confidence on this subject to the list.  It clearly is accepted
practice in many places (including here) to mix and match the toner
cartridges for the various CX-based laser printers.

					--Rick

                ---------------

   1)  6-Aug Alan Parker          Re: Toner cartridges for LaserWriters
   2)  7-Aug starkweather.pa@Xero Re: Toner cartridges for LaserWriters
   3)  7-Aug starkweather.pa@Xero Re: canon toner cartridges

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 85 22:01:39 edt
From: Alan Parker <parker@nrl-css>
To: LASER-LOVERS@WASHINGTON
Subject: Re: Toner cartridges for LaserWriters

The HP Laser-Jet, Apple Laser-writer, and Imagen 8/300 all use the
exact same toner cartridges.  We feed all three here from the same
supply and have a various times had cartridges from HP, Apple, and
Imagen.   We get fastest delivery from a local Apple store (DC).

-Alan

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: 7 Aug 85 09:28:17 PDT
From: starkweather.pa@Xerox.ARPA
To: bierma@nprdc.arpa (Larry Bierma)
cc: laser-lovers@washington.arpa

I have used HP LaserJet cartridges in my LaserWriter with no apparent
difference. I cannot see why Canon would tool a different cartridge for
a vendor when it is the economies of scale that make these printers cost
effective. The cartridges for all LBP-CX based printers should be
identical.

Gary Starkweather

Message 3 -- ************************
Date: 7 Aug 85 09:32:35 PDT
From: starkweather.pa@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Re: canon toner cartridges
To: king@Kestrel.ARPA (Dick King)
cc: laser-lovers@washington.ARPA

The toner cartridges for the copier and the printer are quite different.
The copier series is a positive to postive imaging device, white copies
as white etc. The laser printers use a negative to positive process
(laser ON=black marks). The xerographic drums and materials packages
would be quite different and the laser would most likely not even expose
the copier drum since the laser is infrared and the copier light sources
cannot be in the IR in general (for copyability of colors).

Gary Starkweather
-------