[fa.laser-lovers] catimp/catdvi for suns

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/01/85)

From: Steve D. Miller <steve@tove.umd.edu>

   I've been trying (albeit intermittently) for a while to bring the latest
Imagen 4.2BSD software release up on our suns, and while most of it works,
the catimp program (the one that used to be catdvi) persistantly dumps core.
I've twiddled around with it here and there and been unable to figure out
what is going wrong, and before I launched a full-scale attack, I thought
it would be best to see if anyone else out there has it running.  This is
the Imagen software release that accompanied our version 2.1 Imagen
engine floppies, and we are running Sun Unix 1.3 (though we should soon
be running 2.0).  Any hints, diffs, or source postings would be greatly
appreciated; mail to me, and I'll try to get it posted somehow/somewhere
or another.  Thanks in advance.

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller 	ARPA:	steve@mimsy.umd.edu	Phone: +1-301-454-4251
CSNet:	steve@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!steve
USPS: Computer Science Dept., University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/05/85)

From: ihnp4!seismo!hao!pag@uw-beaver.arpa (Peter Gross)

> From: Steve D. Miller <steve@tove.umd.edu>
>
>    I've been trying (albeit intermittently) for a while to bring the latest
> Imagen 4.2BSD software release up on our suns, and while most of it works,
> the catimp program (the one that used to be catdvi) persistantly dumps core.
> I've twiddled around with it here and there and been unable to figure out
> what is going wrong, and before I launched a full-scale attack, I thought
> it would be best to see if anyone else out there has it running.

Try this fix (I tracked it down when the program bombed on a Pyramid):

*** /tmp/,RCSt1020157	Thu Oct  3 02:26:56 1985
--- catimp.c	Thu Oct  3 02:26:07 1985
***************
*** 367,373
  		ffs[numffs++].fam_name = getcpy(line);
  	}

! 	if (strncmp(ffs[0], CATAB_MARK, 5) != 0) {
  		fprintf(stderr, "%s bad format\n", filename);
  		GoAway();
  	}

--- 367,373 -----
  		ffs[numffs++].fam_name = getcpy(line);
  	}

! 	if (strncmp(ffs[0].fam_name, CATAB_MARK, 5) != 0) {
  		fprintf(stderr, "%s bad format\n", filename);
  		GoAway();
  	}

--peter gross
UUCP:	{hplabs,seismo}!hao!pag