[fa.laser-lovers] HP LaserJetPlus

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/02/85)

From: jp%a@LANL.arpa (James Potter)

I have been contemplating upgrading my LaserJet to the LaserJetPlus
but the local HP people don't know it the thing will do vector
graphics.  From the lack of information in their literature and
extrapolating from their LaserJet,  I would guess that the bit map
must be down loaded completely.  They do offer an optional parallel
interface with the new model.
Does any one know any details about the LaserJetPlus??

Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/03/85)

From: starkweather.pa@Xerox.arpa

I have an early LaserJet. According to a quick phone converation with
HP, the new LaserJet (+) has more user memory. The new unit comes with
512K bytes of which 384K is usable. The old unit had 59k Bytes of user
memory. The only major change is therefore more user bit map area in the
machine. The is some additional font capability but no high level
processing etc. as it was described to me. The 128K between 512 and 384
is for fonts as I understand.

Gary Starkweather

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/05/85)

From: phr@ucbernie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin)

Pardon me for asking, but are the people at HP complete idiots?
They upgraded the amount of user memory from 59k to 512k, because
there wasn't enough for a decent sized bitmap before.  But had
they put in 1M, then it would be possible to print a full page
bitmap.  At least it has downloadable fonts now.  If anyone knows
whether it should be possible to support TeX on it in a reasonable
way, I'd like to hear about it.

P.S. Does anyone know the price of the new printer, and that of the
upgrade if one is available?  The additional memory chips cost HP
maybe $50.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/05/85)

From: starkweather.pa@Xerox.arpa

You can upgrade an old LaserJet to a new one viz. 59KB to 512KB for ~$1500.

Gary

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/05/85)

From: jp%a@LANL.arpa (James Potter)

Yes, the old printer has dropped to $3000 and the new on is $3999.
I personally think that they blew it.  I am going to try to pursue
my plans to make a smart graphics adapter that intercepts the serial
data, builds a 1MB bit map and OR's in the graphics bits with the
normal stuff.  I bet I can make such a gizmo to sell for less than
$1K.  We'll see.

Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/05/85)

From: cornell!vax135!houxm!link!piggy!twitch!tjt@uw-beaver.arpa

I contacted the local HP sales office about the LaserJet Plus upgrade,
and the person I talked to said that it consisted entirely (and only)
of memory, expanding the memory in the machine to 512K, with no change
in the command set of the machine.  He said you could then do full-page
graphics at 150 dots per inch, and a half-page of 300 dots per inch.
I'm slightly annoyed that they limited the upgrade so it couldn't produce
full-page 300 dpi.  It's not like the memory would cost that much.
At $1500 for the upgrade, they're making quite a profit.
        ...Tim Thompson...AT&T Bell Labs/Holmdel/NJ...ihnp4!twitch!tjt...

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/08/85)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

The LaserJet Plus is probably the old LaserJet hardware with re-done
firmware and with the 64Kb RAM chips replaced by 256Kb chips, giving
four times the memory.

> ... The only major change is therefore more user bit map area in the
> machine. There is some additional font capability ...

There is at least one other major change:  downloadable fonts.  It also
appears, from the price list I have, that HP is making the bitmaps for
its current fonts available.  More when I know more.

Oh yes, there *is* a field upgrade for existing LaserJets.  Installation
is supposed to be fairly simple, although with the usual caveat that if
you do it yourself and foul something up, neither your warranty nor your
service contract covers it.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/08/85)

From: ihnp4!ulysses!gamma!pyuxww!pyuxv!rruxa!rruxo!rruxu!rruxc!rruxr!rruxp!rruxff!tony@uw-beaver.arpa

I talked to the local HP rep and he claims that upgrading pass 512k
breaks the power supply.  if we refuse to buy this half-assed upgrade
maybe their marketing types will check with users who understands
the proposed specs first (i know, fat chance...)
     tony kwong   inhp4!bellcore!rruxff!tony

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/08/85)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

> Pardon me for asking, but are the people at HP complete idiots?
> They upgraded the amount of user memory from 59k to 512k, because
> there wasn't enough for a decent sized bitmap before.  But had
> they put in 1M, then it would be possible to print a full page
> bitmap...

The probable reason for the specific numbers is that 512KB is what you
get if you upgrade a 128KB machine (which is what the LaserJet is) from
64Kb chips to 256Kb chips.  Changing the number of chips present is a
significantly more complex and more expensive operation.  (Personally I
think it should have been done; I understand their reasons but don't
agree with the final result.)

The LJ+ is a much better machine for text than the LJ, because of the
font downloading, but it's still not a graphics engine.	 Note that this
is a legitimate decision, not necessarily a sign of idiocy.  A wrong
decision, yes, but not incomprehensible.  What fraction of text-based
applications need a full-page bit map?  Few.  What fraction of the
potential customers really must have graphics?  Maybe not all that large
a fraction, if the intended customers are the people who are after cheap
typesetting rather than heavy graphics.  At LaserJet prices, it is not
all that ridiculous to buy it as a text-only machine.  I think HP is
limiting their market unnecessarily, but maybe they feel that the extra
market is not large enough to justify the cost.

> P.S. Does anyone know the price of the new printer, and that of the
> upgrade if one is available?  The additional memory chips cost HP
> maybe $50.

The change of memory chips unfortunately has to be done as a board swap,
as is usual with such things.  The chips are not socketed, sensible for
a volume-production consumer machine, and desoldering is not something
that you trust Joe User to do right.  This runs the price up a lot, especially
since the old board has little commercial value (it is secondhand and thus
cannot be used in something sold to another customer as "new").  What is
irritating is the substantial price difference between the LJ and LJ+ when
bought new, which can't be much more than a marketing ploy.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/09/85)

From: phr@ucbernie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin)

	"...Changing the number of chips present is a significantly more
	complex and expensive operation..."

Given that they're doing the upgrade as a board swap and charging the
obscene difference that they are between a new LJ and LJ+, the incremental
trouble of going to 1M doesn't sound like all that much.  That they limited
their market by crippling the machine while not saving a significant
amount of money in the process is surely a sign of idiocy.

I would think that all serious TeX users would want to be able to load
full page bitmaps, in order to be able to use an unlimited number of
different fonts on a page if necessary.

It is standard practice to install reconditioned boards in machines sent
in for repair.

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/11/85)

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@uw-beaver.arpa

> Given that they're doing the upgrade as a board swap and charging the
> obscene difference that they are between a new LJ and LJ+, the incremental
> trouble of going to 1M doesn't sound like all that much.

Actually, I agree, unless they ran out of room on the board or something
like that.  (The cost function for electronics jumps sharply at board
boundaries.)  I hoped for better from HP.

> ... they limited their market by crippling the machine ...
> I would think that all serious TeX users would want to be able to load
> full page bitmaps, in order to be able to use an unlimited number of
> different fonts on a page if necessary.

*FLAME ON*
TeX users are well-known for having no taste or sense of graphic design;
the only people worse in this respect are MacWrite users.  The *need* (as
opposed to desire) for vast numbers of fonts on a single page is very rare.
Remember that many phototypesetters do not support such eye-rot either.
*FLAME OFF*

For the vast majority of applications, the LJ+ is probably good enough.
I decline to defend HP's decision as right, since I don't think it was,
but it's a nuisance rather than a disaster.

> It is standard practice to install reconditioned boards in machines sent
> in for repair.

If HP has done its job properly -- and our experience with LaserJets does
suggest this -- then this will be a very small market for old boards.  The
electronics just do not fail that often.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology