[fa.laser-lovers] Existence of translator from TeX or Troff to ATEX

laser-lovers@uw-beaver (10/22/85)

From: "Roger C. King" <RCKing@MIT-MULTICS.arpa>

I have been asked to inquire if anyone is aware of converters from
either TeX, Troff, or other similar output, to ATEX?  Not sure on the
spelling of ATEX.  It is a language used by a photo typesetter that
produces output for the Optical Society of America.

Roger King

FURUTA@WASHINGTON.ARPA (10/22/85)

From: "Roger C. King" <RCKing@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

FURUTA@WASHINGTON.ARPA (10/25/85)

From: Michael C. Berch <mcb@lll-tis-b>

> I have been asked to inquire if anyone is aware of converters from
> either TeX, Troff, or other similar output, to ATEX?  Not sure on the
> spelling of ATEX.  It is a language used by a photo typesetter that
> produces output for the Optical Society of America.

There is an ATEX system here at the Laboratory used by another
department. I've never used it, but I understand it is simply a
proprietary composition system on a dedicated mini that is connected
to a typesetter (in this case, an APS Micro 5). According to one of the
staff there, you can do TeX on it by simply bypassing the ATEX
composition system and feeding DVI that has been prepared for the APS
directly to the typesetter. The composition system itself seems to be
rather archaic and apparently uses a proprietary mark-up language.
He is not sure whether the ATEX supports typsetters other than the APS.

This may not help you if you really need to translate to the ATEX
format for further editing and composition, but it should work if you
just want to print something on their system.

Michael C. Berch
Control Data Corp. / Lawrence Livermore Natl. Laboratory
mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb