[fa.laser-lovers] PostScript restore and strings

FURUTA@WASHINGTON.ARPA (10/31/85)

From: "Cambridge Phoenix - CAM.PHX@CAM.ENG-ICF" <CET1%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa>

A little while ago, Brian Reid suggested in an article in this bulletin
board ('dvi2ps and LRU font management' circa 11 September) that one
could use the fact that string contents are not restored by 'restore'
to get some useful effects. It all sounded pretty good stuff. But now
I read in the PostScript Language Reference Manual (footnote, p.44)
> In the current PostScript design, "restore" actually does not undo
> changes made to the elements of strings. We consider this behaviour
> to be a defect, and do not recommend that PostScript programs take
> advantage of it.
Hmmm. Is this just an exhortation to clean living? It doesn't sound as
if Adobe have plans to make a PostScript implementation that doesn't
have this "feature", but one never knows.

Chris Thompson
CET1%PHX.CAM.AC.UK@UCL-CS

'PostScript' is a trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated
'PostScript Language Reference Manual' is a book by Adobe Systems
     Incorporated, published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc.