[net.misc] Yet Another Net Slogan

kaufman@uiucdcs.UUCP (09/06/84)

#N:uiucdcs:10600171:000:274
uiucdcs!kaufman    Sep  6 14:49:00 1984

Netnews:  Where men are real men, women are real women, wombats eat real
          mangoes, and the users are nervous that somebody else will ask
          how many programmers it takes to change a lightbulb.

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

BTW, it's a hardware problem :-)

kaufman@yale.ARPA (David H. Kaufman) (09/17/84)

Then there's always the Chinese (I think) saying:

    "There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent."

The Punfighter

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (09/20/84)

[ ------ ]

>From: kaufman@yale.ARPA (David H. Kaufman)

>Then there's always the Chinese (I think) saying:

>    "There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent."

>The Punfighter

I don't know about the true origin of the saying, but Hunter S. Thompson
(aka Dr. Gonzo) used it in one of his books (_The Great Shark Hunt_?)

Or, gee... was it Uncle Duke that said it?

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (09/27/84)

> [ ------ ]
>
> >From: kaufman@yale.ARPA (David H. Kaufman)
>
> >Then there's always the Chinese (I think) saying:
>
> >    "There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent."
>
> >The Punfighter
>
> I don't know about the true origin of the saying, but Hunter S. Thompson
> (aka Dr. Gonzo) used it in one of his books (_The Great Shark Hunt_?)
>
> Or, gee... was it Uncle Duke that said it?
>
> Lewis Barnett

	Why, that was a comment made to Uncle Duke by his Chinese
hosts while he was ambassador to China.

	The exchange was between Duke and Li.

	Duke: You know, Mr. Li, Mr. Teng's speech left me
	      baffled, what exactly was he getting at?

	Li:   "There is great disorder under heaven, and
	      the situation is excellent."

	Duke: I see ..., I'd heard that.

	Li:   Are you enjoying your dinner?

	Duke: Huh? Oh, yeah, especially the vegtables --
	      I love your vegetables.

	Li:   Ah, yes -- the vegetables.

	Duke: Speaking of which, how's chairman Dong?

	Li:   "There is chaos on earth, and his pulse is normal."

Next strip:

	Duke: Tell me, Mr. Li, how does the foreign ministry view
	      normalization now?

	Li:   The chairman has a saying pertinent to your question.

	Duke: Well, I thought he might.

	Li:   It is this: "In a suitable tempreature, an egg
	      becomes a chicken, and there are no chickens born
	      of stones."

	Duke: Fascinating .. really very facinating.

	Duke: You realize, of course, that it makes no sense whatsoever.

	Li:   Well, you know, I've always wondered about that.

With such a profound blessing as a comment from Uncle Duke that it
makes no sense whatsoever, perhaps the slogan for the net should
be

	"Usenet: There are no chickens born of stones."
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382