[net.music] A Unique Sound Experience

Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA> (01/15/85)

I just had to buy one when I read the box...

The LP VIBRA-SLAP (pat. no. 3439572)

A Unique Sound Experience!

Latin American - Classical - Rock

Designed and patented by Martin Cohen, founder and president of
Latin Percussion, to serve as a durable and reliable replacement
for the jawbone of an ass.  Unlike its natural counterpart, VIBRA-SLAP,
properly used will give years of trouble-free, dependable service.

Goes great with my flexatone.

-Ron

Christopher A Kent <cak@PURDUE.ARPA> (01/15/85)

Yup, it's a wonderful toy. I bought a Vibra-slap as my first foray into
the world of percussion toys -- but the flexatone came quickly
thereafter.

Cheers,
chris
----------

Joe Pistritto <jcp@BRL-TGR.ARPA> (01/16/85)

Ok, just what is a Vibra-Slap?  I have seen a Flexi-tone, is it similar?

							-JCP-

Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA> (01/16/85)

There's one in the office.  It looks like a bent piece of metal with a ball
on one end and a little wooden horn on the other.  What I really need now
is the Jawbone of the Ass.

-Ron

The Home Office of <abc@BRL-TGR.ARPA> (01/16/85)

Isn't a Vibra-Slap something that they sell in those kinky shops in San
Francisco and Washington?

Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL-VLD.ARPA> (01/16/85)

"Isn't a Vibra-Slap something that they sell in those kinky shops in San
Francisco and Washington?"

Well, bless my soul, there's something wrong with me
My hands are shaking like the leaves on a tree
I'm in love
I'm all shook up

Christopher A Kent <cak@PURDUE.ARPA> (01/16/85)

For those that don't have access to Ron's office, a flexatone is a large
piece of spring steel mounted in a frame, with a smaller piece of steel
with a ball on the end. Imagine a Y. You hold the base of the Y in your
hand. The large piece of steel is attached across the top, free at the
bottom; you can move the bottom end in and out of the frame with your
thumb. The small piece of steel is also attached at the top of the Y,
such that the ball strikes the large piece when shaken. By changing the
thumb pressure, you change the pitch.

You've almost certainly heard a flexatone used -- probably in the 70s,
if not more recently. (Same goes for the vibraslap, which is popular in
latin music, and had a small, deranged following in the disco scene.)
It's the sort of sound that one might expect a flying saucer to make
when lifting off in a 1950's SF movie...

chris

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/23/85)

In article <7390@brl-tgr.ARPA> The Home Office of <abc@BRL-TGR.ARPA> writes:
>Isn't a Vibra-Slap something that they sell in those kinky shops in San
>Francisco and Washington?

Naaah, you must be thinking of Tonga Plugs.
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900