[net.kids] Rights and Rosen: Rebuttal to Adam <alb@alice>

liz@umcp-cs.UUCP (Liz Allen) (08/24/84)

First, let me say that I think there are two things that are distinct
but have been confused in this discussion.  Those are character and
personality.  I think T. C. Wheeler has been talking mostly about
moulding character -- not personality.  Now I realize that without
character (in the good sense of the word), personality can be effected
negatively.  But being a sensitive, responsible individual can fit in
with almost any personality type.  So, it would seem to me that
moulding character is a positive thing in child rearing, but forcing a
foreign personality type on a child would not be (to say the least!)

> From: alb@alice (Adam)
>
> I claim that T. C. Wheeler is absolutely wrong when he says that
> how one rears one's child is none of anybody else's business.  It
> most certainly is.  When that child grows up, he will become an
> integral part of the world which we all must share.  We will all
> feel the effect that he has upon the society.  I'm exaggerating?
> Look at such radical groups as the KKK, Moral Majority (OK, radical
> and reactionary groups), etc.  Why do they continue?  Why don't they
> just die out with their generation?  Because their members raise
> their children to believe what they do.  The members of the KKK
> actually BELIEVE other races to be inferior.  They cannot understand
> why others do not.  Why?  Because they are narrow minded and were
> brought up under STRONG parentage.

Since Paul Dubac has already addressed the main point here by saying
that the alternative of allowing the state to decide what parents
cannot teach their children is much worse, I'll address a slightly
different point.

I see an underlying assumption here that if you teach your children
what you believe that you are not allowing them to think for
themselves.  Some insecure parents may indeed be afraid to allow their
children to question their beliefs, but teaching your children what you
believe is not necessarily the same thing as teaching them not to think
for themselves.  Let's look at T. C. Wheeler's example again.  Now, he
*is* telling his kids what he believes, telling them when he thinks
they are wrong in their opinion and disciplining them as he sees it is
necessary.  Yet, I don't see him telling his kids not to think or not
to take any initiative.  Instead, I see him teaching them to think for
themselves by teaching them to read newspapers and watch the news where
they can learn what is going on in the world and what other people
think about it.  Now, he didn't say this, but I would be surprised if
he didn't also listen to their opinions and take them seriously.  I
also see him encouraging them to take initiative in projects and jobs.
(I guess part of what I'm saying here is to please stop flaming at him
for the way he's raising his children; from what he's said, I think
he's doing a good job.)  It *is* possible to teach your beliefs about
what is wrong and still teach them to think for themselves, etc.

I guess part of what I'm saying here is that a young child can't yet
understand why you believe what you do, but once he or she is old
enough and starts asking questions, I think you need to start answering
them.  If your beliefs are really worth having (are really right?),
they should be able to stand on their own without you forcing them on
your children...

Well, I could say more, but those are my main points.  As far as my own
experience goes, I am not a parent, but up until a couple weeks ago, I
had a roommate who is a single mom and (because of the situation) I
found myself needing to learn a bit about parenting.  Anyway, I've
tried to keep this to mostly observations about parenting rather than
telling you folks who have kids what to do...  Though I suppose any
time you state your values you say something about what should or
should not be done...