[net.kids] diapers

lenh@azure.UUCP (Len Hayward) (10/08/84)

-----
	My wife and I have our first child on the way and we would like
	to know how you rate the different disposable diapers (features,
	materials, price, whatever).

	I will summarize responses to the net.

	Thanks in advance.

	Len Hayward
	Tektronix Microprocessor Development Products
	Beaverton, OR
	...!tekmdp!lenh

pking@uiucuxc.UUCP (10/10/84)

In having three childern over a period of ten years
I have used practically ever disposable diaper ever made--
When my first child was born, Pampers were the best and
the cheapest, that was still true when my second child
came along two years later.  There were a few more on
the market, but Pampers were still about the best for
the money. Shortly after my daughter out grew the need
for diapers more appeared, Huggies (by Kleenex), Luvs
(Luvs were on the market many years ago but were not
available where I lived), and "generic" brands began
to appear in discount stores (K-Mart, etc.), my opinion
is the generic ones are AWFUL, they are not absorbent,
nor do they stay fastened and while they are cheaper,
the child uses more of them.

When my third child came along, I was given samples of
all the current big name disposables when I left the
hopsital, so I had a chance to try them all.  I would
still use Pampers again today if I had another child,
as all three of mine used them.  I have had friends
who would swear by Huggies or Luvs, particularly now
that Huggies have the refastenable tapes, and I have
also had friends whose babies developed rashes from
certain brands of disposables.  Huggies and Luvs are
by far more expensive, ie they come fewer to a box
for more money, and do not have a wide a range of
sizes, ie Pampers come in Newborn, Daytime, Overnight,
Extra Absorbent Daytime, Toddler, and a new size for
heavier toddlers.  All the disposables come now with the
stay dry gathers and I would feel certain all will come
with the refastenable tapes if these catch on.  All three
of the major brands come in small boxes and what they call
convenient boxes of somewhere from 48 to a box to 90 to a box
(the 90 to a box is for Pampers newborns, this will usually
last roughly 2 weeks, depending on the child, figuring
a newborn is changed six times a day if fed every four hours).

Hope this helps.

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (10/12/84)

> -----
> 	My wife and I have our first child on the way and we would like
> 	to know how you rate the different disposable diapers (features,
> 	materials, price, whatever).

For the past year or so, with a toddler, we have just bought the
cheapest we could.  This usually means large quantities in big brown
boxes at the supermarket and Toys R Us.  With an infant we found
that the cheapest didn't do a good job in the quantity-of-liquid-held
area, but that any brand name not advertising solely on the basis
of cheapest price did fine.

--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

greg@olivej.UUCP (Greg Paley) (10/16/84)

We've found we don't like Luvs for two reasons:
	(1) We've noticed a higher incidence of diaper rash
	    with them.
	(2) Even when they're straight out of the box they
	    have what we find an unpleasant smell.  (Hard
	    to tell "at a whiff" if the little one needs
	    changing).
We find the leg gathers to be a plus (found on Huggies,
the newer Pampers, and some "house" brands sold in various
stores).  The re-useable tabs are OK, but we've not found
sufficient use for them to make them a significant factor.

	- Greg Paley

brahms@spp2.UUCP (10/16/84)

>We've found we don't like Luvs for two reasons:
>	(1) We've noticed a higher incidence of diaper rash
>	    with them.

For us, we have had better luck with Huggies and Luvs than Pampers.  The
two times we have used Pampers on our son, he has developed a rash.

>	(2) Even when they're straight out of the box they
>	    have what we find an unpleasant smell.  (Hard
>	    to tell "at a whiff" if the little one needs
>	    changing).

We can usually tell by the look of the diaper if it is wet or not.  If it
is wet, the outside of the diaper is not as smooth as it was orig.

Then again, we only use disposables when we are going some where.  At
home, he uses normal cloth diapers.  A diaper service runs about the same
as disposables.  Also, remember, it is illegal to dump the diaper in the
trash.  The disposable part is supposed to go down the toilet.  In fact,
there is a growing problem because people do not put the diaper down the
toilet.

			-- Brad brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

peg@linus.UUCP (Margaret E. Craft) (10/23/84)

I used cloth at home and disposables at sitters.
Kid got only 2 rashes in 2 years.

But a point in favor of cloth diapers:
For night time, you can pin two on, getting enuf
absorbtion to get thru the night - even when my
daughter was still nursing once or more a night,
i didn't bother to change the diaper - she didn't
sleep any worse (i did experiment), and in fact seemed
to sleep better without the extra wakefulness induced
by the diaper changing...

david1@aluxe.UUCP (nelson) (10/24/84)

My wife and I tried cloth diapers when our son was born 3 years ago.  We
used 1 once and quit.  When he wet it was like he was wearing a sopping wet
rag.  It was disgusting.  With disposables, much of the wet is better
absorbed.  Unless one changes a cloth diaper IMMEDIATELY, I would recommend
disposables.

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (10/26/84)

In article <458@aluxe.UUCP> david1@aluxe.UUCP (nelson) writes:
> My wife and I tried cloth diapers when our son was born 3 years ago.  We
> used 1 once and quit.

Large statistical sample...

> When he wet it was like he was wearing a sopping wet rag.  It was
> disgusting.

Not quite as disgusting as peeling off the stuff you get when the disposable
has sucked all the moisture out of a dirty diaper.

> With disposables, much of the wet is better absorbed.  Unless one changes
> a cloth diaper IMMEDIATELY, I would recommend disposables.

You mean you let the poor kid sit in it?  Just because the "wet" is not
directly against their skin doesn't mean it's producing any less ammonia.
I realize that when one has made a big investment in a disposable diaper
one is reluctant to put it into the "loss" column, but that's like driving
around a 250K mile "beater" with the excuse that it was a expensive car
in '61.  And now that disposables are refastenable...

Look, a kid yells when uncomfortable.  I'd rather have my kid yelling
*now* because he's uncomfortably wet than *2 hours from now* because he's
uncomfortably ammoniated.

Besides, it's nice to be able to grab a normal diaper when you have an
emergency need for a "burp" rag.

Larry Wall, "Committee for the Straight Poop on Diapers"
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

robbin@trwrba.UUCP (Robbin J. Brahms) (10/29/84)

[]

>Look, a kid yells when uncomfortable.  I'd rather have my kid yelling
>*now* because he's uncomfortably wet than *2 hours from now* because he's
>uncomfortably ammoniated.
>
>Besides, it's nice to be able to grab a normal diaper when you have an
>emergency need for a "burp" rag.

A person of my own heart.

Robbin Brahms
{decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwrba!robbin

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (10/30/84)

Furthermore, cloth diapers (dry) breath better, and create less diaper rash.
And since they ARE uncomfortable when wet, our 2-year-old is learning about
how to recognize the signs of impending, uh, activity, and my wife asserts
this will aid toilet training at the right time.

Finally, DON'T leave the poor kid in wet diapers!  When he cries because his
diapers are wet, and nothing happens, it teaches him that 'Mommy and
Daddy don't care'.

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

bmt@we53.UUCP ( B. M. Thomas ) (10/30/84)

re: cloth diapers vs disposables...

...AND they don't make a lot of wasteful trash to throw away,
...AND they are the best rags around when they finally wear out.

As a father of three, two of whom were in diapers at the same time,
I must say that I much prefer the extra work of maintaining the
diaper pail and washing the diapers (even when I do it!) over the
horrendous EXPENSE and MESS (not to mention WASTE) of disposables.  With
newborns we did use disposables for a while, but we preferred the diaper
service.  It's frequently cheaper, although it has its own hassles.

paul@msdc.UUCP (Paul Manno) (10/31/84)

My wife and I have been using cloth diapers for 16 months now
and we have yet to detect more than 1 rash (at 2mo). However,
I will point out that the disposables are invaluable for trips
and grandmothers...

	Paul Manno
	...{akgua, gatech, mcnc}!msdc!paul

P.S.  I'm still enjoying my daughter after 16 months!