[net.kids] Avoid Velcro toddler shoes

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (11/28/84)

Avoid toddler shoes (or sneakers) which are secured by Velcro.  They look
real nice at first and are very easy.  But, before long, the Velcro gets
old and the shoes start to come off (or be taken off) all the time.

Alan Silverstein

charliem@hammer.UUCP (Charlie Mills) (12/03/84)

In article <hpfcla.32700021> ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) writes:
>Avoid toddler shoes (or sneakers) which are secured by Velcro.  They look
>real nice at first and are very easy.  But, before long, the Velcro gets
>old and the shoes start to come off (or be taken off) all the time.

We haven't had that experience at all.  The velcro shoes (we got Nike's,
expensive!) were a revelation.  She can dress herself completely without
help!  Maybe there are cheap brands that fall apart.  And maybe if the
kid is very young you want to lock the shoes on so they don't get lost.
Otherwise, I recommend them.

	-- Charlie Mills

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Flaming Asteroid) (12/03/84)

> Avoid toddler shoes (or sneakers) which are secured by Velcro.  They look
> real nice at first and are very easy.  But, before long, the Velcro gets
> old and the shoes start to come off (or be taken off) all the time.

My kids (Aged 5 and 3) are growing too fast to wear out the Velcro!  I
haven't had any problems with the Velco sneakers since we started buying
them for the kids.  Of course, they don't wear them ALL the time!
--
Frank Dibbell  (408-746-6493)          ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!canopus

[The views expressed herein are not necessarily the views of my
employer, or myself, for that matter]

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (12/05/84)

	I have found Velcro great for my 10-month olds shoes.
	He outgrows them far quicker than he wears them out.
	I suppose he would like having some shoe laces to play
	with, but it is difficult to hold him still long enough
	to fasten the velcro let alone trying to tie laces!

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

stanwyck@ihuxr.UUCP (Don Stanwyck) (12/06/84)

In article <hpfcla.32700021> ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) writes:
>Avoid toddler shoes (or sneakers) which are secured by Velcro.  They look
>real nice at first and are very easy.  But, before long, the Velcro gets
>old and the shoes start to come off (or be taken off) all the time.

As noted by others, we have not had any problems with the Velcro closings.
Our 2 yr old can take his shoes off, and does so after asking or upon
being requested to do so.  The Velcro has never (to our knowledge) come
undone on its own.  We usually get the cheapest pair we can find at K-Mart
(he outgrows them before we can get them home, or so it seems) and have
no reason (yet) to alter our practice.
--
 ________
 (      )					Don Stanwyck

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (12/07/84)

Here is another vote FOR velcro shoes.  My daughter thinks they are just
great - do your kids also call them 'rip shoes'?  In fact Katie now refers
to velcro as rip and also the action of closing or opening a velcro fastener
as ripping.  Just another cute kid story..
					  .
					   .

Peter Barbee

sofo@ihuxm.UUCP (Terry Bermes) (12/10/84)

    While I understand the advantages and opinions in favor of Velcro
fasteners on shoes, when the time comes, my daughter is going to learn
the basic motor skill of tying shoelaces. This is almost as bad as remote
control t.v..
                                     Terry Bermes