[net.kids] open letter to mhuxv!segs

torcsl@utzoo.UUCP (Jason P. Venner) (01/16/85)

>From uucp Tue Jan 15 01:36:39 1985
>>From mhuxv!segs  Mon Jan 14 10:13:24 1985 remote from ihnp4
>Date: 14 Jan 85 10:13:24 CST (Mon)
>From: ihnp4!mhuxv!segs
>Apparently-To: !utzoo!torcsl
>
>Yes, yes. I'm sure you are painfully sincere about your wish for all the
>children of the world to be secure, etc., by virtue of having been in physical
>contact with their parents twenty-four hours a days until who knows what age.
>Nonetheless it sounds awfully flaky to me. Parents are people, too. (I hear
>you clucking your tongue at my unfitness already.) And need to have their kids
>peeled off them.
>Thank goodness your immaturity is neither fatal nor permanent. Have fun growing
>up.

What I am talking about is that it seems to me that the present system
(norms of it anyway) seem to be turning out people who are painfully
insecure.  I am trying to explore alternatives which will prevent/lower the
rate of this.  I was thinking that some alternate method than normal
isolation,  with punishment being the reward (of attention) for being 'bad'
would perhaps help.  I am hoping to provoke discussion of this also.
--
			Jason P. Venner @ U of Toronto Zoology
			{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax,watmath}!utzoo!torcsl