[net.kids] How to discipline short of spanking

jam@ho95b.UUCP (Joe Malecki) (01/02/85)

We have a little girl who is now 2 years, 3 months old.  She has a will
of iron.  The problem we have usually occurs at bedtime and nap time
when we want her to go to sleep, but the issue of getting her to do
something she doesn't want to do is a general one.

At bed/naptime, she tries anything in order to get out of going
to sleep. She is very verbal, and is the best negotiator I have ever
met.  Well, we decided we can't let a two-year old tell us when she is
going to bed, so we inform her that she is going anyway.  Screaming is
the usual reply.  We tell her that she doesn't have to sleep, that she
can read books, play with toys, or whatever, as long as she stays in
bed. She will have no part of going to bed, preferring instead to stay
with Mommy and Daddy (nothing wrong with that, really, but she DOES
need to sleep sometime).

We read books endlessly to her sometimes, and then she will stay in her
bed, but if we leave, the screaming begins.  After one night when we
continuously put her back in bed as soon as she crawled out screaming,
(this going on for a solid hour) she doesn't dare get out of bed.
But she sits at the foot screaming, crying, pleading, demanding, etc.
continuously.

The situation is now similar to our general discipline problem.  When
we send her to her room because we've tried everything short of
hitting her, she refuses to stay in the room, and screams and yells.
She tries to force her way out of the room, and a couple of times
we've closed the door on her (which tears me up to do that, but we're
at our wits' end.)  If we don't lock her in, she just gets
out of the room, and hasn't been disciplined. If we let
her sit on the edge of the bed screaming, she is also pretty much getting
her own way.

We've been told by many people that a good spanking is what she needs.
But the couple of times we've reluctantly done so, she tells us,
"Don't hit me.  You shouldn't hit me!" which is precisely what we tell
her when she hits us. It's tough to argue with that.

Does anybody have any suggestions, anecdotes, etc., which might be of
help?

Joe Malecki
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Room 4K-223
Holmdel, NJ 07733
201-949-4847
{ihnp4, allegra, cbosgd}!ho95b!jam

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (01/03/85)

First of all, are you sure she really needs as much sleep as you think? Like
adults, children's sleep requirements vary. It's pretty easy to tell when
they're tired at that age: they start getting crabby, rubbing their eyes, etc.
Don't pay any attention to her verbal statements: my 3 year old has been known
to deny that he's tired, then, two minutes later, be asleep sitting up on the
sofa!

I don't think that not sleeping is a "spanking offense". While I'm not
ideologically opposed to spanking, I've never had to resort to it either.
Isolation has always been a sufficient deterrent for my son.
You are doing the right thing, basically. Instead of telling her that
it's "nap time", tell her that it's "quiet time", and that she has to go
up to her room, and stay there. Get a digital clock for her to watch, and
(sorry all you flamers about kids' not learning to tell time).
Then do your best to ignore her until the designated time. Be persistent,
and don't respond to her anger with more anger, or with placation.
Don't be reluctant to confine her to the room - if she wants to scream, that's
her privilege. Remember that unrewarded behavior is eventually extinguished.
Kids need to learn that there are some things in life that they just have to
put up with, like sitting at the table during meals, going to sleep at
night, etc. A few things that comprise normal civilised human behavior.
--
  ______			Russ Herman
 /      \			{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh

garys@bunker.UUCP (01/03/85)

Our daughter is 2 years, 1 month old, and we have simlilar
problems getting her to bed.  General discipline we don't
seem to have as much trouble with.

Something that works well for us in getting our daughter to
bed at night is for one of us (almost always my wife, but
I have done it, too) to lie down with her until she goes
to sleep.

The title of your article suggests that you've already decided
on the kind of answer you want to hear.  But I recommend a good
spanking, if nothing else works.  And I don't mean a reluctant
one, where she is able to make you feel ashamed for disciplining
her.  The rules for adults are different from the rules for
children (which gradually change as the child gets older, until
the children become adults and the rules match).

(If anyone argues that the rules for two-year-olds should be
the same as for adults, tell me how the two-year-old you
have in mind earns a living.)

Anecdote:  When the second child of some friends of ours, a girl,
was 2, she started a practice of waking up in the wee hours of the
morning and screaming for an hour or two.  After several nights of
attempting to discover the problem, (Are you hurt? scared? etc.)
one night the mother informed her that if she didn't go back to
bed, she would be spanked with a wooden spoon.  The girl proceeded
to get up; she was spanked, and put back in bed.  Immediately she
got up again and was spanked again.  This process was repeated several
times that one night, before the girl stayed in bed.  The next night
it happened exactly once, and after that it didn't happen again.

Yes, you feel rotten when you have to spank your child.  And the
child knows that, and will exploit the fact to try to make you
feel more rotten so you won't do it again.  But who's training
whom?

In our own case, we haven't had to resort to such severe punishment.
(But if we have to, we will, and I think our daughter knows that,
since we have spanked her before.)

An interesting observation the same friend had was that our daughter
would go to bed without any fuss for her when she wouldn't for us,
so we know that it is simply a matter of asserting her will.

I hope this is helpful; I also hope I don't sound like a know-it-all;
I can only say what seems to work, and why I think it does.

Gary Samuelson
ittvax!bunker!garys

reza@ihuxb.UUCP (Reza Taheri) (01/03/85)

   My daughter is younger than yours (19-months old), so I don't want
this to sound like the definitive voice of experience.  The thing that
seems to work with her is consistency.  We had problems with putting
her to bed for about six months, starting at when she was 9-months old.
She would gladly go to bed some nights, and stay up crying for over an
hour other nights.  This went on until I decided I had had enough.  She
was put to bed exactly at 8 pm every night, even if she was being a "good
girl."  After about one week she adjusted to the new schedule and we
haven't had any problems ever since.  She may even stay up as late as
9 pm if she is obviously not tired; but as long as it does not become
a habit.

   The same goes for a method of discipline.  You need a form of
discipline that you use very rarely and every time you have used it
you have made sure your wishes have been fully carried out.  Then that
will be your ultimate weapon.  The problem is that people overuse
the punishment that works to the extent that it becomes useless.  If
you tell your kid to go to his/her room 50 times a day, then the phrase
has been heard so much that it loses its effects.  You want a form of
discipline that the child knows you use only when you are very serious and
every time it has been used, you (the parents) have won.  Unfortunately,
spanking perfectly fits this scenario, that's why it works.

   Try a new kind of discipline and the first few times that you use it,
see to it that it gives positive results.  Then only re-use it on special
occasions.  It does not have to be a harsh punishment.  For example,
instead of sending the kid to her room when she does something bad,
force her to sit WITH you.  That is, she has to sit next to her parents
while they are reading a book and aren't talking.  She'll be bored out
of her mind.

H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
(312)-979-7473

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (01/04/85)

> We've been told by many people that a good spanking is what she needs.
> But the couple of times we've reluctantly done so, she tells us,
> "Don't hit me.  You shouldn't hit me!" which is precisely what we tell
> her when she hits us. It's tough to argue with that.

When my wife and I had our son, Adam, we had two things we were NEVER
going to do. One was to use a pacifier(sp?) and the other was to
spank him. Well, we didn't use the pacifier.

Adam borders on the hyperactive. He started the "terrible twos" at
age 1&1/2 and is now just starting to get "under controll" at age
four. We finally have to break down and spank him on occasions.
When we do, we try to let him know that he is being punished, and
why. I think this only serves to relieve our guilt, but it also
gives us time to think before we hit him. After a while, the threat
of a spanking was usually enough to get the desired results. We say
"If you dont XXXXX by the count of three, I will have to punish you
 ONE (he ignores us), TWO (he starts to try to justify his actions,
 or to start begging), THREE! (8 times out of 10, he will go do, or
stop doing whatever it was we wanted). I often wonder if I am
doing the right thing, as when I was a child, I lied alot to avoid
being spanked. But this has been the only method of controlling
him at times.

Your other problem seems to be that you are trying to reason with
a two year old. This only works in favor of the child!
An example:
                  Me: Do good boys do XXXXX?
                Adam: No.
                  Me: Did you do XXXXX?
                Adam: Yes.
                  Me: Are you a good boy?
                Adam: Yes.

On the nap and sleeping situation...We finally had to give up on
naps. It became so much work and screaming and fighting to get
him to nap, that we just said forget it. He still needs one alot
of times, so my wife will do her shopping, etc in the afternoon
and Adam will often fall asleep in the car (hopefully on the
way home).

All I can say is hang in there! It does get better.

                               Dave Lowrey

"GORT...Klatu borada niktow"

                                   ...!{nsc,sun,hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Flaming Asteroid) (01/04/85)

> We've been told by many people that a good spanking is what she needs.
> But the couple of times we've reluctantly done so, she tells us,
> "Don't hit me.  You shouldn't hit me!" which is precisely what we tell
> her when she hits us. It's tough to argue with that.

This is a tough one... but in relation to bed/naptime, what we have done
is just cut out the naps.  Makes the kid a little crankier by evening,
but generally willing to go to bed (8 PM at our house for a 5 and a 3
year old).  You might also try taking the kid to a park for an hour or
so for some intense physical exercise (running around, etc).

Discipline is a very tough issue to address, since each child responds
uniquely to it.  Some kids can be reasoned with, some can't.  Punishment
for our kids is confinement to the bedroom for a period of time.  We
handled the inevitable tantrums, screaming, and general property
destruction as follows:  We tell them that if they want to scream and
cry, it's OK as long as they confine it to their room.  We tell them
that we do not tolerate emptying the contents of the dresser onto the
floor, nor the smashing of toys.  This seems to work, though screaming
and crying will carry on for as much as 15 or 20 minutes (which can
seem like an eternity).  It is important to use a tone of voice when
saying this that means business (picture Darth Vader: "You WILL pay
for your lack of vision").

We have never REALLY spanked, although unacceptable behavior is usually
met lightning fast with a single swat on the bottom (and a quick trip
to the bedroom when feasible).  This element of shock/surprise for us
has always worked.  I realize it is negative reinforcement, but my
experience with children has led me to the conclusion that a little
aversion therapy works wonders!
--
Frank Dibbell  (408-746-6493)    ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!canopus
[R.A. 6h 22m 30s  Dec. -52d 36m]

[Generic disclaimer...]

charliep@v1.UUCP (Charlie Perkins) (01/06/85)

I have to come out in favor of spanking.  We resort to this only
rarely (every month or two) -- and it is usually in response to
some obviously defiant behavior.  Since our first line of discipline
is sending our daughter to bed, spanking usually happens there, too.
We try to overcome the bad associations of bed by reading stories, etc. there.
Someone mentioned that screaming was their daughter's right.  I think
there is merit to this idea, but when I want to sleep, I cannot
allow our daughter to scream on and on.  Besides which, I really
think that she sometimes is crying out of meanness.  So, if sending
to bed does not work, and screaming persists, a spanking is first
threatened and (if necessary) carried out.

My wife was until recently a preschool teacher, and she is convinced
that one of the things that would have been most helpful for the
kids is an occasional spanking!  Really, the things she told me would
make you want to spank the kids too -- like when they come to her and
kick her on the shins.  If you knew my wife, you would know that she
is sinfully meek, so that I am sure she does not provoke such attacks.

{ Aside: BE SURE to check out sanitary conditions, toys, and other stuff
	if you decide to place your child in a preschool.  There are
	such schools that are poorly managed and dangerous for children.
	The danger can be either physical or emotional; for instance,
	a rowdy class might encourage your child to pick up bad
	habits, and an unsanitary school can send your child to the
	hospital with meningitis or something. }

I agree with the parent who said that discipline should be used
sparingly.  For us, usually an explanation or a warning will be all
that is required.  But (and this has been a surprise of sorts for me)
kids AREN'T always rational!  And, I really agree with everyone who
mentioned that empty threats (of whatever nature) are damaging to
the parent-child relationship.

My mind is still open though.  I'd really like to hear about methods
of discipline that REALLY work as alternatives to spanking.  I would
much prefer to remove that technique from my repertoire.  I cannot help
but believe that children build up resentment somewhere after they
have been spanked -- or else that they think they are intrinsically
bad.
--

Charlie Perkins, IBM T.J. Watson Research
philabs!v1!charliep,  perk%YKTVMX.BITNET@berkeley,  perk.yktvmx.ibm@csnet-relay

carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Carlton Hommel) (01/06/85)

In article <286@ho95b.UUCP> jam@ho95b.UUCP (Joe Malecki) writes:
>But the issue of getting her to do something she doesn't want to do
>is a general one.
>We've been told by many people that a good spanking is what she needs.
>But the couple of times we've reluctantly done so, she tells us,
>"Don't hit me.  You shouldn't hit me!" which is precisely what we tell
>her when she hits us. It's tough to argue with that.

As a governess, I've seen this problem twice.  Good to excellent results were
achieved by the following:
    Define the problem.  The real problem is not sleep.  It is control.  Your
child is learning to manipulate you, and while this may be useful if they are
planning on running for public office, it is not appropriate inside a family.
    Decide what dicipline is in your own minds.   Emotionally, it is far more
harmful for both _you_ and the child to have her sit and  scream then to have
her spanked.
    Talk to your child. When she states "Don't hit me. You shouldn't hit me!"
assert that _you_ are the parent.    You did not run for the office, and you
are not goverened by a majority rule.  As a parent, you have certain
responsibilities.  Curbing this behaivor is one.
    As far as spanking goes,  make sure that is done privately.  Humiliation
is not healthy.  It should be done calmly, and the anger should be
dissasociated from the physical hitting.  Carefully explain that you are not
hitting her because you feel like it, but to provide punctuation to your
stand.
    Children to not need their parents to be "buddies."  Parents do not live
by the same rules as their 2 year olds.   Your child must grow secure in the
knowledge that you will stop her _before_ she makes a huge mistake,  and not
make her deal with issues she has no resources to handle.
   This approach has worked for me with two girls in two different families.
Both children learned to assert themselves in other ways. (Which cake mix to
make, what present to get for mommie, where to visit on vacation, etc)  Rest
assured, you are not stifling their growth.  Best of luck.

	Alana Hommel
		(for Carl Hommel)
Husband:  I don't wanna eat my brussel's sprouts!
Wife:  Then its off to bed with no dessert.

elt@astrovax.UUCP (Ed Turner) (01/07/85)

Discipline is a toughie.  Here are a few things my wife and I have noticed in
the course of raising our own and watching our friends raise theirs.

1) You should ALMOST NEVER (i.e., once a year at most) back down on something
you have said, whether it is telling a child not to do something or
threatening a specific punishment.  The reason is obvious; how is the child to
know in the future whether you mean it or whether you don't.  Some people get
into an awful trap this way.  They place some act or behavior off limits, but
their child persists, and eventually they relent and allow it.  Next time they
hold their ground longer, but the child still wins out in the end.  The next
time it takes even longer and so on.  Unconsciously, the parents are teaching
the child that he/she need only draw out the issue long enough to have a chance
of getting their way.  Soon even the smallest issues of discipline take hours
or even days to resolve.  Conversely, if you always mean what you say, the
child soon learns to take your word for it.

2) Try no to nag your child and constantly be correcting its behavior on
relatively minor points.  Forbid behavior that is dangerous or really
unacceptable but try not to be authoritarian about things that are merely
annoying.  The main reason for this beyond not overly suppressing the child's
self expression is that children easily learn to "tune out" too frequent
nagging.  Then they almost literally don't hear you when the issue is more
important.

3) Some children (or maybe all children at some age) respond positively to
what their parents consider negative reinforcement.  They so love to be the
center of attention that they prefer being punished to being ignored.  This
can be a particular problem if the child is not getting enough other attention
from the parents; even spankings can be preferable to what is in their eyes
neglect.  In this case ignoring bad behavior and responding strongly with
attention to good behavior can sometimes work wonders.

4) Try to have rules that the child can understand and punishments that are
applied consistently and uniformly.  If the child cannot predict what behavior
will displease you and how it will be punished, he/she is likely to see it as
merely capriscious harrasment on your part.  Problems of this sort can easily
occur for small children who, for instance, cannot easily see why acceptable
behavior at home is unacceptable in a restaurant or at grandparents' house.

5) Spanking (assuming it is not brutal) is not particularly more effective or
more extreme than other punishments except perhaps for very small children
who may not understand what other forms of punishment are all about.  Parents
who spank regularly may still fall into all of the traps described above (and
no doubt others) and have as bad a discipline problems as parents who don't
spank.  Just switching from a no spanking to a spanking policy will not usually
solve your problems.

6) Love your children and let them know they are loved as much as you can. This
will cause them to *want* to please you.  This is the easiest and in the long
run the most effective "discipline".

7) Remember none of this or indeed anything works all the time or for all
children.

Ed Turner
astrovax!elt

P.S. - Please excuse me if this article sounds a bit arrogant or "know it all"
ish.  We have had our discipline problems too.

plw@drutx.UUCP (KerrPL) (01/07/85)

I had to chuckle at Russ Herman's "quite time" for the
phrase "nap time". My Mother changed her "Nap for 1 hour"
to "Quite time for 60 minutes" from as long as I can remember.
(Of course I was the fourth kid in my family).

My daughter had her nights for staying up much earlier than
most of the stories I have been seeing. The only one that
would work for us is the same ole saying, "Let them scream it
out". During the day, the punishment was a corner. If she peeked
out of the corner, she would stay in another 5 minutes.

		Patti Kerr

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (01/08/85)

Boy, this one sure got us going!  And, by and large, the responses have been
outstanding.  Ken Arndt, in particular, gets kudos, as does Henry Mensch and
just about all you others.

But of course Noisy here (me) can't resist putting in his two bits worth.  As
with many, it hits close to home.  My crisis came at about 2 AM one night,
when I couldn't get Alyssa to go potty.  So I spanked her.  She stiffened her
body and refused to sit on the toilet.  Ever try to get a stiff three-year-old
onto a toilet?  Doesn't work.  So I spanked her harder.  So she got stiffer.
So I spanked her harder.  Needless to say, it didn't work.

At that point I realized I was way too close to hitting her as hard as I could,
and I just wasn't going to win.  I walked out and turned her over to her
mother, who comforted her and cajoled her into going potty.

I'm not sure I've spanked a kid since (not that I've ever been much of a
spanker).  A friend who has taught me most of what I know about the B-word
(I'll define it later) summed it up quite simply:  "You can't get somebody to
do something by punishing them.  You can get them to *not do* something with
punishment, but it is almost impossible to encourage a behavior by punishing
its absence."

(I should mention here, in case people think its relevant, that Alyssa isn't
mine and I no longer live with her, my worse luck.)

If you want to know how I have given up spanking (well, not 100% -- it's just
that I've been fortunate enough to avoid any really horrible situations
lately -- but it's been two years), I have a book to recommend for you.  If
I remember the title correctly, it's called "Anyone can have a Happy Child."
It's a cheap, readable paperback.  You should be able to find it in "Books
in Print."  I found it to be outstandingly helpful.  I was pretty good with
handling Alyssa before I read it, but the tricks I learned from it are the
reason I could stop spanking entirely.

The best thing I learned from that book is that the best punishment is
boredom.  Take the child and sit him/her in a kid-sized chair, facing a blank
wall.  Explain to them that they will be allowed to leave the chair as soon
as they stop screaming/crying.  If they try to leave the chair, firmly but
impersonally put them back.  Repeatedly.  If you have spanked a lot in the
past and have a defiant child, you may find yourself resorting to spanking to
keep them there.  That's fine (at first), if it works.  As soon as they stop
crying or whatever, go to them, hug them, and tell them that you love them.
At first you will probably have to settle for only one or two seconds'
silence, but you should work up to a goodly amount of time, like a minute.  I
have found this one to be a remarkably magic wand.  Alyssa is *considerably*
more impressed by the threat of "the chair" than she used to be by the
occasional spanking.  It is important, though, that there be *nothing* to
do -- no knicknacks within reach.  If they try to talk to you (I've had two
brothers each try to justify their side of the story), ignore them.  Don't
*tell* them your are going to ignore them and so they should shut up, because
then you've validated them a bit and they will press their case further.
Just ignore them completely.

By the way, I don't recommend telling them to think about what a bad thing they
did or what bad kids they are.  The latter unnecessarily strikes deep into
their self-confidence (and I doubt they *are* "bad" kids, in most cases).  The
former gives them something to think about and dwell on, which defeats the
prime goal of boring them.  I think the boredom is why it works so well.  A
spanking gives you an opportunity to feel sorry for yourself and wallow in
tears, which isn't much fun but it's a lot better than being bored.

An advantage of "the chair" over sending the kid to her room is that
sending to the room makes the room a place associated with punishment, so that
it is harder to get her to go there to play when you need some *QUIET*.  And
the room has toys to play with, so that the punishment can become an
unintentional reward.

With respect to her sitting on the bed screaming, Joe, I wonder what's her
payoff?  Why does she do that?  My theory is that even adults don't do many
things unless they are getting *something* out of it, and kids essentially
never do.  My suspicion would be that the payoff is attention from her
parents.  After half an hour or more, your head is ready to split, so you
decide to try something else -- which means you just proved to her that
screaming works, because *eventually* Mommy or Daddy will notice you did it.
Sure, they spanked you again, but maybe next time they'll give in early.
And you know they are paying attention to your screaming.

With behaviors that are 100% attention-getting, the best way to suppress them
is to not give them what they want.  Ignore them.  Be stoic.  Then be more
stoic.  I remember one night when Alyssa was sent to her room (this was before
I learned about chairs).  There was a loud crash from the room.  Her mother
jumped up, dashed into the room, and (calmly) asked Alyssa if she was all
right.  A dresser drawer was scattered all over the place.  Alyssa said she
wasn't hurt;  mom said "OK," it the most matter-of-fact tone imaginable,
turned around and went back to her crossword.  Alyssa stopped crying shortly
thereafter, and after things had been well forgotten she had to pick up most
of the mess by herself.  Hasn't happened again.  Mom made sure she didn't
have a hospital problem, and then didn't provide any other payoff.  A smart
lady;  I'm still learning things from her.

One final thing that may help is to profusely recognize the nights when she
*does* go to bed quietly.  There must be some of those -- maybe once a month
or less, but at least some nights she must be too sleepy to put up a fight.
On those nights, don't say anything, but give her an extra long hug (by the
clock if you can) or some other small non-awakening warmth.  In the morning,
(here I'm paraphrasing the book so bad I'm almost plagiarizing, because I
had to damn near memorize this part to get it right), go to her and tell her
how pleased you were that she went so quietly.  Something like this:

    "Honey, I wanted to let you know how proud I was of you last night.  You
    went to bed all by yourself, and you went right to sleep with your
    teddy bear [make it as vivid as possible].  I was really pleased because
    you were so grown-up.  You sure are a nice little girl, and I'm sure glad
    I get to be your Mommy/Daddy."

A little later (NOT right away), go to her and spend some time with her doing
something she likes.  The idea is to do is soon enough that she develops
an unconscious association between the praise (which is associated with
behaving) and the time spent.  But you don't want to do it so soon that she
figures this out consciously, or she will start to expect it.  And you don't
want to get trapped into doing this forever -- when she starts behaving, you
should get more and more intermittent until she is "weaned" on this issue.

Some don'ts:  don't be negative, especially when you are trying to be positive.
My rule is to avoid the word "didn`t".  In other words, DON'T say "you were
so good last night, you *didn't* do this bad thing, you *didn't* do that
bad thing."  You don't want to remind them of the misbehaviors, and you don't
want them to feel like they are irretrievably bad.  In fact, at this point you
don't want them to feel bad at all -- you are trying to reinforce a good
behavior by making them feel good.  Far better to be lavish.

And don't contract with the kid.  The classic mistake is "if you go to bed
tonight, I'll buy you an ice cream cone tomorrow morning."  Now you've
established a price.  One quiet bedtime buys one ice cream cone.  Next comes
raising the ante...

Those are my basic rules.  There's a lot more in the book, and in other books
by (and for) people who don't get excited at the B-word, but those are the
ones I remember and live by.  I expect I will spank a few more kids before I
die, but I don't expect there to be many.  You gotta be incredibly stoic at
first, but just keep asking yourself "what's the payoff?"  There always is
one.  In young kids, it's usually attention, positive or negative, which is
neat for you and me because it's easy to take away.  If you can effectively
take away the payoff, that is frequently enough to get rid of a bad
behavior.  If not, find a payoff for a behavior that is incompatible with the
bad one (by this I mean rewarding something that is truly incompatible in the
sense of swimming and riding a bicycle simultaneously, not an "if you don't
misbehave you'll get rewarded" double-negative contract).

Enough.  I've bent your ears too long already, and half of you are probably
wondering what this guy with no kids of his own and not even living with any
anymore is doing shooting off his mouth like this.  I wonder myself, in fact.

Oh, yes -- the B-word, which strikes terror into the hearts of weak men:

    Behaviorism.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff

allenm@ittvax.UUCP (Allen Matsumoto) (01/08/85)

I think discipline is very much a matter of personal choice.  There is
certainly no agreement on cause/effect relationships for types of
punishments or rewards.  But there is a lot in this article which
bothers me, so I am trying to respond to this calmly.

To make my position explicit, I am opposed to spanking.  I don't believe
spanking is good for raising children.  I don't see how it could avoid
encouraging violence.  The occasional use of spanking must be tempered
with copious amounts of love (if violence has to be resorted to at all).

> I have to come out in favor of spanking.  We resort to this only
> rarely (every month or two) -- and it is usually in response to
> some obviously defiant behavior.

I don't consider "every month or two" to be even close to "rarely."  I
have hit my eldest once when she was 3 and was about to run into the
street without looking.  The one spanking was a quick swat, and it
achieved more surprise than pain; she was really astounded that I
actually hit her.  The surprise was the most effective part of the
entire affair.  I haven't spanked either of our other children (yet?).

It seems to me that anyone who thinks monthly is rare, must have a
frightening belief of what "normal spanking" would be.  Obviously we
aren't talking about child abuse, but that's still a lot more spanking
than I would have imagined parents have to resort to.  Am I completely
unrealistic in this?  I don't think once a year would bother me (much),
but once a month?

> Since our first line of discipline is sending our daughter to bed,
> spanking usually happens there, too.  We try to overcome the bad
> associations of bed by reading stories, etc. there.

This makes sense to me.  What about the bad associations of being hit at
all, though?  Don't all kids display "obviously defiant behavior"?
Isn't that just part of growing up?  You, the adult, are supposed to
do better than she.  Don't just react to her behavior.

> Someone mentioned that screaming was their daughter's right.  I think
> there is merit to this idea, but when I want to sleep, I cannot
> allow our daughter to scream on and on.  Besides which, I really
> think that she sometimes is crying out of meanness.

Doesn't this tell you something?  (You imply below you don't think kids
are inherently "mean".)  You think there is meanness in screaming in bed.
Doesn't your child think there is meanness in your hitting her?  What
are her choices in this kind of situation?  She can do exactly what you
tell her meekly, or she can oppose you in the only way she currently
knows.  What will happen when she grows up?  She'll have learned to do
what she is told, or she'll learn more extreme ways of opposing you.
Would you like either of those?

> My wife was until recently a preschool teacher, and she is convinced
> that one of the things that would have been most helpful for the
> kids is an occasional spanking!  Really, the things she told me would
> make you want to spank the kids too -- like when they come to her and
> kick her on the shins.  If you knew my wife, you would know that she
> is sinfully meek, so that I am sure she does not provoke such attacks.

I agree all kids need firm discipline.  This does not necessarily mean
spanking, though.  Again, adults have other ways of dealing with kids
than resorting to physical punishment.  We are not just bigger than
they, are we?

> I agree with the parent who said that discipline should be used
> sparingly.  For us, usually an explanation or a warning will be all
> that is required.  But (and this has been a surprise of sorts for me)
> kids AREN'T always rational!  And, I really agree with everyone who
> mentioned that empty threats (of whatever nature) are damaging to
> the parent-child relationship.
>
> My mind is still open though.  I'd really like to hear about methods
> of discipline that REALLY work as alternatives to spanking.  I would
> much prefer to remove that technique from my repertoire.  I cannot help
> but believe that children build up resentment somewhere after they
> have been spanked -- or else that they think they are intrinsically
> bad.

Two good points here.  The issue is control, not punishment.  Don't lose
control of your kids, or of yourself.  What kind of people so you want
your children to become?  It's easy to do the simplest reaction that you
think of first.  If you think kids need to be hit every month or two to
acquiesce to your rules, you will be more likely to spank.

I think that kids are eager to please their parents, when they know what
to do.  They sometimes don't think about what they are doing.  They
sometimes test the limits of the rules.  They sometimes think only of
themselves.  Our most frequent response is a request to be more
civilized, i.e., to think of the effects of their actions on the others
around them.  Our most frequent punishment is quick, but short,
deprivation of whatever seems to be the immediate cause of the problem.
Lastly, we send them to their rooms for a fixed length of time - 10
minutes, or "until you stop <whatever>".  It really never occurs to me
to hit my kids.

> Charlie Perkins, IBM T.J. Watson Research
> philabs!v1!charliep,  perk%YKTVMX.BITNET@berkeley,  perk.yktvmx.ibm@csnet-relay

Not hopeful,
Allen
--
			Allen Matsumoto
			ITT Adv. Tech. Center, Stratford, CT 06497

greg@olivej.UUCP (Greg Paley) (01/09/85)

I thought Ed Turner's article on discipline was excellent.  The
point about the necessity of being consistent cannot be overemphasized.
Some of the worst brats I've seen (excuse the expression, but I
don't know any other way to put it) have been the result of parents
who laugh at a particular offense at one moment and heavily punish
the same thing at another, or, alternately, who continually spout
a stream of empty threats.

I'm not going to go into the argument of whether or not spanking
is an effective means of discipline (we do it, but it takes a
major offense, potentially harmful either to the child himself
or someone else, to warrant it) but I have no hesitation in saying
that if you threaten to spank and then, despite this, the child
persists in whatever he shouldn't be doing, you have to go ahead
and carry out the threat.

Otherwise the child loses all respect for you and your authority
and, worse, loses his self respect since it will appear that his
actions have no particular importance one way or the other.

	- Greg Paley

earl@tymix.UUCP (A. Christie Earl) (01/09/85)

> My mind is still open though.  I'd really like to hear about methods
> of discipline that REALLY work as alternatives to spanking.  I would
> much prefer to remove that technique from my repertoire.  I cannot help
> but believe that children build up resentment somewhere after they
> have been spanked -- or else that they think they are intrinsically
> bad.
>
> Charlie Perkins, IBM T.J. Watson Research

I have a daughter who just turned 12.  Jennifer is very bright and is
a child who ALWAYS tests authority.  (I believe her motto in life must
be 'QUESTION AUTHORITY')  I've tried many ways of discipline, including
spanking (I HATE spanking)  I've had the best results with consistancy
(teachers, etc, using the same methods), Timeout methods, Reward System
and Natural consequences.  I agree that discipline should be used sparingly.
I also believe that results are best if you can discipline without alot
of drama and emotion.   Do it, get it over with, and don't dwell on it.
I've seen people ruin a kids whole day because of spilled milk at the
breakfast table.

Jennifer was once in an afterschool care program that had the best discipline
system I've ever seen, and a quite effective one.  If you misbehaved:
first occurance: Name on the board
second thru fourth occurance: checkmark and 5 minutes timeout
fifth occurance: Note home to parents
Those are per day occurances, and I'd imagine getting checkmarks
is a pretty horrible thing.  The kids all know the rules beforehand
and know exactly what to expect.  They are always carried out.

On the other hand, they would go around and give kids warm fuzzies
for just doing what they were supposed to be doing.  Children
quietly coloring during coloring time would be given a 'raffle ticket'
with their name on it.  I think you get an extra one for not having
you name on the board at the end of the day.  Then I believe there would
be a weekly raffle of several prizes.  The more you'd been good, the better
your chances of winning things like a face painting, or having your
polaroid picture taken, or some little thing like that.  Seems to
me that you could also save up your tickets over a week and 'buy'
priviliges.  This program was used more for the Preschool thru Third
grade ages, although I believe it could be easily modified for
use with the younger ones.

Jennifer is now doing quite well.  Whether she outgrew the problems,
or she realized that being 'good' is in her best interest, I don't
know.  But I believe these methods (especially timeout) helped
us over the rough spots.

Children want to know what the limits and boundries are. As a parent
prividing those limits is the loving thing to do.  Two year olds are
defiant, and I agree, parents don't live by the same rules.  You don't
have to be buddies, but be loving and show your love to your children.

Well, I hope that helps.
--

                      -Christie Earl
		      {...sun!ios ...hplabs|fortune!oliveb}!tymix!earl

  186,000 miles per second.  It's not just a good idea...
      It's the law!!

jug@whuxlm.UUCP (Grauman Joseph) (01/09/85)

Many of the responses had proposals on disciplining a child who didn't
want to go to sleep at bedtime.  It is important, however, to try to
identify the cause or source of such behavior which appears to be quite
common.

In reading your posting I found two possible causes.  First, you
mentioned that when you send your child to her room as punishment.
This makes her room an undesirable or bad place to be - to take it
to an extreme example, like jail.  Secondly, you mentioned that in order
to get her to stay in her room at bedtime you allow her to engage in play
as long as she remained in bed.  This defeats the purpose of being in
the room in the first place - to go to sleep.  It might also be wise to
consider keeping a child in the crib (with the sides raised) until they
are older.  I am happy to say that we never had such problems with
our 2 children since we followed what I said in this paragraph.

When you examine young children's behavior problems closely you will
find that in most cases they can be traced to the way their parents
dealt with them initially.  Not everyone knows what to do in every
possible situation, but consistency, purpose, and firmness can go a
long way toward correcting bevior problems early.

Joe Grauman
AT&T-Bell Labs
whuxg!jug or whuxlm!jug

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (01/12/85)

In article <194@masscomp.UUCP> carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Alana Hommel) writes:
>Emotionally, it is far more
>harmful for both _you_ and the child to have her sit and  scream then to have
>her spanked.

The tone of the spanking discussion has been sounding good to me:
"Spanking should be rare, there are other forms of discipline just as
good, no physical abuse."  It sounds like we are all pretty good
parents.  But the above statement stopped me cold.  If there is some
actual evidence for it I'd like to hear it.  I think exactly the
opposite--it is best if I can stand to be with my children while she sits
and screams at bedtime.  Sometimes I am just not up to that, and I do
something to stop the screaming (usually read a story or do some other
distracting activity).  But I don't feel as good after that, and
neither does she.

When our children show emotions of any kind they encouraged to (a)
express that emotion non-destructively, and (b) not act on the emotion
but rather wait for calmness to decide what to do.  Similarly we do not
respond to the emotional outburst as if it is a demand for anything,
but simply as an expression that says: "I feel X", where X is sad, or
mad, or whatever.  Sometimes it can be hard to feel SO MAD or SO SAD
all alone, so we will sit with her (we have two girls) while the
outburst finishes (sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 60 minutes).
But no special attention is given because there happens to be a lot of
emotion, and we try for lots of attention to them at other times.

--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

peter@tmq.UUCP (Life gets very Weird) (01/13/85)

I notice that a common thread in this discussion is "Hyperactivity" or
"Not wanting to sleep".  Drugs and chemicals found in the diet of
most children (sugar, caffeine, food dyes, etc.) will cause radical
mood swings and will upset a child's sleeping cycle.
After spending most of my childhood addicted to Twinkies, Coca-cola, etc.
I was considered "Hyperactive" and fed a variety of amphetamines,
tranquilizers, etc. to control it. (Dad was one of those internal medicine
types who had a strong faith in chemotherapy).
I wonder how different my relationship with the world as a kid would
of been had I not been out of my mind on a rainbow of upper/downers of
various forms.

Anyway, my sister prohibits her children from eating processed foods.
This seems to keep them a lot calmer. They have sweet, tractable dispostions,
free from temper tantrums, screaming fits, etc. She *rarely* has to
spank them, even her 2 and 4 year old boys.

Hitting a kid seems to be a last resort to be used only when there
is a total breakdown in communication with them.
I would say when faced with a problem with your kids, treat the
cause, not the symptom.

P.S: I would appreciate hearing via mail from people who were
hyperactive children on drugs, or who are parents of one
--
	Peter Kerrigan -- ..!ihnp4!tmq!peter

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (01/15/85)

> Your other problem seems to be that you are trying to reason with
> a two year old. This only works in favor of the child!
> An example:
>                   Me: Do good boys do XXXXX?
>                 Adam: No.
>                   Me: Did you do XXXXX?
>                 Adam: Yes.
>                   Me: Are you a good boy?
>                 Adam: Yes.

This is a good example of why exclusive reason/rationality with
a child doesn't work.  Sure, it's nice to be able to explain to
the child why to do something, and then have him do it.  But
their logic isn't ours!  "You mean Daddy can buy all the lollipops
he wants to, and he doesn't buy any?"  Daddy must be nuts, right?

And when they grow up, they aren't always going to be given a logical
reason why they should do such-and-such anyway.  Best to learn
that sometimes you just have to do it.
--
Paul DuBois	  {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"And the streets shall be full of boys and girls playing	  --+--
in the streets thereof..."					    |
				Zechariah 8:5			    |

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (01/15/85)

> To make my position explicit, I am opposed to spanking.  I don't believe
> spanking is good for raising children.  I don't see how it could avoid
> encouraging violence.  The occasional use of spanking must be tempered
> with copious amounts of love (if violence has to be resorted to at all).
>
> This makes sense to me.  What about the bad associations of being hit at
> all, though? ...
>
> Doesn't this tell you something?  (You imply below you don't think kids
> are inherently "mean".)  You think there is meanness in screaming in bed.
> Doesn't your child think there is meanness in your hitting her?  What
> are her choices in this kind of situation?  She can do exactly what you
> tell her meekly, or she can oppose you in the only way she currently
> knows.  What will happen when she grows up?  She'll have learned to do
> what she is told, or she'll learn more extreme ways of opposing you.
> Would you like either of those?

You're not being mean by spanking, though.  At least, I hope not!
If we spank just because we're mad, then the child knows that.
But we need not do so, and indeed ought not to do so.  If a child
hits me, it's because of anger (almost always).  I am not going
to spank for that reason, but for the *child's* welfare.  I do not
believe this causes resentment, because kids aren't dumb, they'll
sense why they're being disciplined (although it's definitely best
to explain it explicitly as well, of course).

Spanking != violence.	(can be, but that's abuse, not discipline)
--
Paul DuBois	  {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"And the streets shall be full of boys and girls playing	  --+--
in the streets thereof..."					    |
				Zechariah 8:5			    |

robbin@spp3.UUCP (01/15/85)

[]
I haven't gotten to the age of reason but my sister has a son 5 and her
husband (second, therefore not the boys father) shares in the discipline.

He does not believe in spanking but Jason does push too far.  His way of
dealing with it, which I have not seen or hear of, is to have Jason get on
his knees on the floor and hold his hands out straight for some length of
time until he says he is sorry or won't do whatever again.

I thought this was an interesting way of dealing with the punishment.

Just wanted to post for anyone interested.

Robbin Brahms
{ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!spp1!spp3!robbin

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (01/17/85)

In article <110@spp3.UUCP> robbin@spp3.UUCP writes:

>I haven't gotten to the age of reason but my sister has a son 5 and her
>husband (second, therefore not the boys father) shares in the discipline.
>
>He does not believe in spanking but Jason does push too far.  His way of
>dealing with it, which I have not seen or hear of, is to have Jason get on
>his knees on the floor and hold his hands out straight for some length of
>time until he says he is sorry or won't do whatever again.

Have you ever tried this position yourself?  Especially for a child with
partially-developed muscles, it becomes painful very quickly.  In that sense,
it is no different than spanking.  But it's actually far worse than spanking,
because it is slow, growing torture.  Spanking is quick;  it is a sudden and
definite punishment that is over with.  I think that this approach is quite
cruel.  I also feel that it is unfair, since you are basically torturing the
child until he breaks, as opposed to delivering a swift (painful!) and fair
consequence of misbehavior.

But probably the worst aspect of the approach is that it teaches the child to
be able to deal with the pain and endure it.  I bet that the more your
sister uses this technique, the longer Jason will be able to stand it.  This
is a route to uncontrollability.  (Think about it:  how would you go about
teaching a child to be able to stand any punishment and still be willing to
defy you?  Gradually increasing dosages of pain are a very effective way).
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (01/17/85)

In article <ittvax.1587> allenm@ittvax.UUCP (Allen Matsumoto) writes:
>To make my position explicit, I am opposed to spanking.  I don't believe
>spanking is good for raising children.  I don't see how it could avoid
>encouraging violence.  The occasional use of spanking must be tempered
>with copious amounts of love (if violence has to be resorted to at all).

According to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, violence is defined as
"exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse."  Now I would not
suggest that there are occasions where parents become abusive in their
treatment of children, however, I would not catagorize all types of
physical discipline as violence.  I believe there are appropriate times for
spanking for the proper discipline of children.

>It seems to me that anyone who thinks monthly is rare, must have a
>frightening belief of what "normal spanking" would be.  Obviously we
>aren't talking about child abuse, but that's still a lot more spanking
>than I would have imagined parents have to resort to.  Am I completely
>unrealistic in this?  I don't think once a year would bother me (much),
>but once a month?

Why spank at all, even once a year, if you are so opposed to it?  Obviously
you don't spank with any well-thought-out intentions of changing the
child's behavior.  In your case it would seem to be both callous and
capricious.

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

janr@tekecs.UUCP (Jan Rowell) (01/18/85)

> He does not believe in spanking but Jason does push too far.  His way of
> dealing with it, which I have not seen or hear of, is to have Jason get on
> his knees on the floor and hold his hands out straight for some length of
> time until he says he is sorry or won't do whatever again.

Am I weird? This one really gives me the creeps. I'd much rather see
an emphasis on discipline/guiding children that doesn't focus so much
on punishment and displays of power (yours over theirs). I'm not saying
that power isn't an issue (esp with 2 year olds), but an emphasis on
power obscures all the more benevolent aspects of discipline.

A book on this topic that I liked when I read it a few years ago is
"Without Spanking or Spoiling." It's practical and fairly eclectic.

mostek@ihnp4.UUCP (James Mostek) (01/18/85)

My parents made us kneel in a corner facing the corner when we were bad.
Spanking occurred when we did something very very wrong (i.e. covered the
porch with mommy's cold cream), maybe a couple times a year.

The kneeling made you think about what you just did and feel pretty bad
about upsetting your parents.
Anyway, I've followed the same basic concept with my kids (after they reached
about 3 or 4).
When they disobey or do something wrong, they are instructed to sit in a
chair or on the floor for a stretch of time (usually 5 or 10 minutes).
Their instructions are to sit still and make no noises.
If they disobey, the time is increased (depending on the infraction) usually
around 5 to 10 minutes extra.
At the end of the silent period, they must appologize.
This discipline usually works, but there are occasions when I do spank.

I try to be extremely loving with the children.
Lots of hugs and kisses and the like.
This is the best discipline.
It creates an atmosphere where the kids don't test responsiblity or
try to aggravate. Rather, they go out of their way to try to make us happy.

Don't get me wrong, our home life has problems like most.
We loose tempers, aren't always patient, ...
But, we keep trying to improve.

Parents aren't always "good" (they loose tempers, don't listen to
their children, and on some very infrequent occasions deserve spankings).
Parenting is one of the toughest careers around, especially when it's done
part-part-time.
--
          James Mostek, Bell Labs @ Naperville, ihnp4!mostek

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (01/20/85)

In article <110@spp3.UUCP> robbin@spp3.UUCP writes:
>He does not believe in spanking but Jason does push too far.

Who says?  This is commonly what the people in power say of the people
out of power.  The Nazi's were constantly saying of the Jews in the
30's that "they push too far".  When I here someone say that about
anyone, it just means to me that they have stopped thinking and started
reacting.

>His way of
>dealing with it, which I have not seen or hear of, is to have Jason get on
>his knees on the floor and hold his hands out straight for some length of
>time until he says he is sorry or won't do whatever again.

This sounds as bad, or worse, than spanking to me.  Sheesh, the tortures
that people put other people through.
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark
USPS: Computer Science Dept., University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

susan@vaxwaller.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (01/21/85)

*Mothering* magazine has several articles on discipline without spanking
in their current issue.

allenm@ittvax.UUCP (Allen Matsumoto) (01/21/85)

Sorry if I used the wrong word.  If you're going to quibble about the
particular word "violence" as defined in your dictionary, you're bound
to miss the point of the article.  What is the proper word for "exertion
of physical force NOT to injure or abuse"?  (Or didn't you have any idea
of what I meant?)

> In article <ittvax.1587> allenm@ittvax.UUCP (Allen Matsumoto) writes:
> >To make my position explicit, I am opposed to spanking.  I don't believe
> >spanking is good for raising children.  I don't see how it could avoid
> >encouraging violence.  The occasional use of spanking must be tempered
> >with copious amounts of love (if violence has to be resorted to at all).
>
> According to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, violence is defined as
> "exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse."  Now I would not
> suggest that there are occasions where parents become abusive in their
> treatment of children, however, I would not catagorize all types of
> physical discipline as violence.  I believe there are appropriate times for
> spanking for the proper discipline of children.

About the following, I'm sure you're being unfair, if you can read.
(Can you read?)  Obviously you don't read "with any well-thought-out
intentions" of understanding the article.  I said in my original article
that I don't spank, I don't believe in spanking, and I don't like
spanking.  Is that clear now?

> >It seems to me that anyone who thinks monthly is rare, must have a
> >frightening belief of what "normal spanking" would be.  Obviously we
> >aren't talking about child abuse, but that's still a lot more spanking
> >than I would have imagined parents have to resort to.  Am I completely
> >unrealistic in this?  I don't think once a year would bother me (much),
> >but once a month?
>
> Why spank at all, even once a year, if you are so opposed to it?  Obviously
> you don't spank with any well-thought-out intentions of changing the
> child's behavior.  In your case it would seem to be both callous and
> capricious.
>
> Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
> 			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

What is the point of deliberately misinterpreting my article?  Does it
make you feel better to challenge other people's postings?  Do you like
"correcting" people enough to go out of your way to mis-read them?

You bet I'm defensive when unfairly attacked!

--
			Allen Matsumoto
			ITT Adv. Tech. Center, Stratford, CT 06497
			203-385-7218
			(decvax!ittvax!allenm)

<generic disclaimer>:  Any opinions expressed are my opinions.