[net.kids] Formula to homogenized milk

alexl@tekred.UUCP (Alexander R. Lopez) (02/04/85)

Have you hugged your kid today!

I have an 8 mo old son and I've been trying to change him from formula
to 2% homogenized milk.  When he gets a taste of the 2% he won't take
any more from the bottle or a cup.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this transition easier?
Also has anyone ever mixed formula and homogenized milk together
to get him used to the taste slowly.  I have him on Prosobee
which is soybean formula.
					joan (alexs wife)

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (02/05/85)

	We made the transition first from breast milk to formula at about
	4 months. That was the hardest!

	At about 11 months, we made the transition from formula (SimLac or
	similar, anyway it was milk based) to 2% at 11 months.  We mixed
	the two together first in a 3/1 ratio for 3 days then in a 2/1
	ratio for a couple of days and then full-strength.

	We did not make the transition in steps because of any resistance
	from the baby.  We were just watching for adverse reactions
	( diahhrea, upset stomach, other allergic reactions); fortunately,
	there were none.

	The baby was quite happy with the real milk.  I doubt if we could
	switch him back to formula.

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (02/06/85)

In article <222@tekred.UUCP> alexl@tekred.UUCP (Alexander R. Lopez) writes:

>I have an 8 mo old son and I've been trying to change him from formula
>to 2% homogenized milk.  When he gets a taste of the 2% he won't take
>any more from the bottle or a cup.

With all the talk about milk allergies, maybe you should not convert him
to milk.  Maybe it is not just the taste that puts him off; maybe he
can sense the danger :-)

Personally I am not too sure about this milk allergy thing.  Does any one
have any experiences to share?  (When replying please change the subject to
milk allergies.)  Sorry Joan, I don't have any help - our kids just love
cow milk (and so does dad).

ac4@pucc-h (Tom Putnam) (02/07/85)

Everything I have read suggests that you shouldn't change your child
over to cow's milk until s/he is at least 12 months old.  As a local
doctor put it: "Cow's milk is very good for baby cows, but it is
very hard to digest for baby humans."
--
Tom Putnam
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:ac4

pking@uiucuxc.UUCP (02/07/85)

I have never heard of mixing formula and milk -- particularly
not soybean formula --

Two of my three children, the first and the last were on
soybean formula's until they were nine months old, then
their doctor said I could try giving them milk -- prior to
this time however, they had milk products, cheese, ice cream,
etc. just to make sure they were not milk allergic --
i tended to warm the milk a little, just to take the cold
edge off of it before giving it to them, much as I did with
formula --

I tried giving them milk at meal times at first, rather than
formula with their food -- gradual introduction worked well,
because according to many responses I've heard, milk tastes better
than formula -- also, I never relied too much on milk for the
children -- the two on soybean formula tended (and still to this
day, one is 10 and one is 3) not to care much for milk, so I
pushed milk products, putting milk on their cereal, and things like
that rather than forcing them to drink it -- I did make sure they
were getting the needed vitamins, etc from other food so milk
was not an absolute necessity --

Try gradually daily giving him milk, maybe on his favorite
hot/cold cereal or mix it with scrambled egg -- it may be
he'll be one of those people who don't like to drink milk --

janr@tekecs.UUCP (Jan Rowell) (02/11/85)

I don't have suggestions about how to do it, but I do
have a concern. Our pediatrician (and the American
Academy of Pediatrics) sez kids under a year should be
on formula or breast milk. Even at a year, when they
switch to milk, it should be whole milk because they still
need the fat in their diet. So you might want to hold
off a couple more months.