[net.kids] Lay off the goats!

kaiser@jaws.DEC (Pete Kaiser 225-5441 HLO2-1/N10) (02/18/85)

.
[Substitute here 13 levels of recursive quotation about the milk of several
species of mammal.]

Chris Grevstad:
>I also have heard that [goat's milk] smells terrible.

You may be confusing goat's milk with goats, which DO smell ... distinct, par-
ticularly the male ones, at times.  The goats are the ones with the hair.  :-)

Seriously: we have friends, both pediatricians, who keep goats and always have
fresh milk, butter, and cheese.  Goat's milk and butter made from it are sweet
and delicious (the cheese is a matter of taste; I happen to love fresh goat's
cheese, which is a delicate soft white cheese.)  Unfortunately, there's no such
thing as inexpensive commercial goat's milk.

The kind of allergy at issue here is often, as I recall, allergy to lactose,
the characteristic sugar of cow's milk; and some persons who can't digest
lactose can digest galactose, the sugar characteristic of yogurt made from
cow's milk.  Do consult your pediatrician or a medical nutritionist for solid
information, keeping in mind that if it's worth the time and trouble, you can
probably have your child tested very specifically for the nature of the sensi-
tivity.

---Pete

Kaiser%JAWS.DEC@decwrl.arpa, Kaiser%BELKER.DEC@decwrl.arpa
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-jaws!kaiser
DEC, 77 Reed Road (HLO2-1/N10), Hudson MA 01749		617/568-5441

chris@byucsa.UUCP (Chris J. Grevstad) (02/20/85)

Pete Kaiser writes:

   >Chris Grevstad:
   >>I also have heard that [goat's milk] smells terrible.
   >
   >You may be confusing goat's milk with goats, which DO
   >smell ... distinct, particularly the male ones, at times.
   >The goats are the ones with the hair.  :-)

I am not confused.  I have heard the above to be true.  The
person(s) (un-named and now unknow) may well have been confused
when they told me these atrocious mistruths.

   >Seriously: we have friends, both pediatricians, who keep
   >goats and always have >fresh milk, butter, and cheese.
   >Goat's milk and butter made from it are sweet and delicious
   >(the cheese is a matter of taste; I happen to love fresh goat's
   >cheese, which is a delicate soft white cheese.)  ....

I, too, love goat cheese, but the norwegian gjetost.  Sweet, caramel
flavor.  Very good sliced thin on top of fresh home-made bread.

--

	Chris Grevstad
	{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!byucsa!chris

	If things don't change they will probably remain the same.