[net.kids] circumcision vs. infection

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (04/02/85)

["You beast!  Take your cap off when you meet a lady!"]

> > Grown men can get nasty infections and end up needing to be circumcised.
> Can anyone document this one?

It happened to an elderly relative of my wife -- the infection, not the
circumcision.  No, he didn't keep it clean.  She says most men (in her
experience, such as it's been) don't.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (04/04/85)

In article <gloria.1071> colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>["You beast!  Take your cap off when you meet a lady!"]
>
>> > Grown men can get nasty infections and end up needing to be circumcised.
>> Can anyone document this one?
>
>It happened to an elderly relative of my wife -- the infection, not the
>circumcision.  No, he didn't keep it clean.  She says most men (in her
>experience, such as it's been) don't.
>--
>Col. G. L. Sicherman
>...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

Let me add that circucision is probably no more painful than ear-piercing.
Probably less so, since circucision only cuts skin, while ear-piercing
goes completely through the flesh.

If you reject circumcision because of its pain, you probably should not
pierce your daughter's ears, either.

	Frank Silbermann

cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) (04/04/85)

In article <unc.317> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:

>Let me add that circucision is probably no more painful than ear-piercing.
>Probably less so, since circucision only cuts skin, while ear-piercing
>goes completely through the flesh.
>
>If you reject circumcision because of its pain, you probably should not
>pierce your daughter's ears, either.
>
>	Frank Silbermann

     It is roughly equivalent to lopping off your earlobe, except that
there are a lot more nerve endings.

     Frank, I wish you would confine your responses to those areas in
which you have *some* knowledge, and be very careful about posting
to a group which is generally concerned with discussing one's children
and related issues, since you are single and presumably don't have any
children (at least you never bring them to school :-) ).

rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP (Rick Sellens - Mech. Eng.) (04/09/85)

In article <317@unc.UUCP> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:

>Let me add that circucision is probably no more painful than ear-piercing.
>Probably less so, since circucision only cuts skin, while ear-piercing
>goes completely through the flesh.
>
>If you reject circumcision because of its pain, you probably should not
>pierce your daughter's ears, either.
>
>	Frank Silbermann

I'm not sure which would be more painful, but most civilized people would
not pierce their daughter's ears until the daughter said she wanted them
pierced. I think the question is more concerned with trauma than pain.
If you want something done then the pain is reduced to simple annoyance.

Rick Sellens
UUCP:  watmath!watdcsu!rsellens
CSNET: rsellens%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  rsellens%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

paulsc@tekecs.UUCP (Paul Scherf) (04/10/85)

In article <1223@watdcsu.UUCP> rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP (Rick Sellens - Mech. Eng.) writes:
>I'm not sure which would be more painful, but most civilized people would
>not pierce their daughter's ears until the daughter said she wanted them
>pierced. I think the question is more concerned with trauma than pain.
>If you want something done then the pain is reduced to simple annoyance.

Now wait a minute! I was circumcised when I was very young
(without being asked first (-: ), and I don't even remember the
pain. (I don't even remember remembering the pain when I was
younger. (-: )

How many men on net.kids, who were circumcised when they were infants,
remember anything about the circumcision?

Paul Scherf, Tektronix, Wilsonville, Oregon, USA, paulsc@tekecs.UUCP

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) (04/11/85)

 > How many men on net.kids, who were circumcised when they were infants,
 > remember anything about the circumcision?

How many men on net.kids, who were circumcised when they were adults
remember anything about the circumcision?

Can you spell PHIMOSIS? :-)
--
Joe Presley (mhuxm!presley)

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (04/14/85)

In article <watdcsu.1223> rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP (Rick Sellens) writes:

>>Let me add that circucision is probably no more painful than ear-piercing.
>>Probably less so, since circucision only cuts skin, while ear-piercing
>>goes completely through the flesh.
>>
>>If you reject circumcision because of its pain, you probably should not
>>pierce your daughter's ears, either.
>>
>>Frank Silbermann

>I'm not sure which would be more painful, but most civilized people would
>not pierce their daughter's ears until the daughter said she wanted them
>pierced. I think the question is more concerned with trauma than pain.
>If you want something done then the pain is reduced to simple annoyance.
>
>Rick Sellens		UUCP:  watmath!watdcsu!rsellens

I do see many infant girls with pierced ears.  In any case,
compared with the trauma of birth, the trauma of circumcision
is minor (unless, perhaps, an incompetent doctor botches the job).

	Frank Silbermann