[net.kids] Baby - short review

cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) (04/21/85)

In article <tekecs.5258> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:

>There are very few "family" movies produced these days.  While I don't have
>children myself, and at this stage in my life prefer to see "adult contempory
>movies" (how's that for a broad categoy), I am glad to see a movie such
>as "Baby" produced as an alternative for children to such movies as
>"E.T.", "Gremlins", and "Star Wars."  I appreciate the dilemma faced by
>many of my friends with children who have trouble finding movies that
>won't either scare them or fill them with a lot of questions they don't
>particularly feel like answering that day.
>
>                        -- Walt Tucker
>                           Tektronix, Inc.

The problem is that "Baby" *does* scare them and fill them with questions
like "why are they riddling the daddy dinosaur with bullets?  why are they
riddling each other with bullets?  why are they blowing up an entire town?
why does everybody look so happy riddling each other with bullets?".  The
whole movie is nothing but a war.

I was *FURIOUS* because I had called the theater beforehand and asked how
violent the movie was.  The manager assured me that it was fairly tame as
such things go - "there is a little gunplay".  A LITTLE????????!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm out of touch but I expect that when I take my 2 and 3 year-olds
to a G movie I expect not to have to hold them and cover their eyes during
the movie!  It was even upsetting to my 11yr old although he denied it.
We probably should have left the theater, but we had played the movie up
to them so that it would have been really upsetting to them to leave in the
middle.  Thinking back on it we should have left.  It's hard to always make
the right choice!

In sum, do NOT take you kids to "Baby" unless you also let them watch
"A Team" on TV, in which case they won't be learning anything new.

It really floors me to see what movies, TV, etc. are teaching our kids!
Take an active role against this brainwashing!  (I guess that is ultimately
what really has me upset - I try to monitor what they are exposed to and
then I get tricked into a situation like the above.)

					Chuck Mosher
					UNC Computer Science
					Chapel Hill, NC
					!decvax!mcnc!unc!cm