[net.kids] How to stop thumb-sucking?

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/13/85)

This is how I was induced to stop sucking my thumb.  I am reporting this
without judging the technique one way or the other.

My mother and I went to the supermarket one day.  I don't know exactly
how old I was at the time, but I was probably around four or five.

The owner of the store was a good friend of my mother, and the two of
them were talking about something (at the time, of course, I couldn't
have cared less exactly what) when I started sucking my thumb.

When the store owner saw this, he became quite upset and showed me his
thumb, which was all black and blue.  He said that this was what would
happen to my thumb if I kept on sucking it.

I never sucked my thumb again.

It wasn't until a long time later that I figured out that the grocer had
gotten his multicolored thumb from hitting it with a wayward hammer or
slamming a door on it -- NOT from sucking it as a child.

Curiously, I never felt any kind of betrayal or resentment over having
been "lied to" in connection with this incident.
--
Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA

atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) (04/16/85)

I had a similar experience.  My mother took me to the dentist.  He explained
that if I continued to suck my thumb it would result in crooked permanent
teeth, after my baby teeth fell out.  True or not, I stopped sucking my thumb.

Is this true, sucking your thumb past a certain age causes too much stress
on the permanent teeth?

dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) (04/22/85)

In article <1152@opus.UUCP> atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) writes:

>I had a similar experience.  My mother took me to the dentist.  He explained
>that if I continued to suck my thumb it would result in crooked permanent
>teeth, after my baby teeth fell out.  True or not, I stopped sucking my thumb.

My mother told me that if I chewed with my mouth open my teeth would
fall out.

I stopped chewing with my mouth open.

--
-- Either Argle-Bargle IV or someone else. --

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts