[net.kids] Ratio of gender, babies born during war

dennisg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Dennis E. Griesser) (04/24/85)

In article <5205@fortune.UUCP> brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard brower) writes:
>>  During wartime, people marry at a younger age.  The young mothers, being
>>  strong and healthy, provide fertilized ova -- the greater number of which,
>>  as said before, are male -- a good chance for implantation and survival.
>>  So they tend to give birth to a higher percentage of males.  Furthermore,
>
>Women do not produce fertilized ova, it takes a man to fertilize an ova.  The
>sex of the child is determined by which male sperm fertilized the egg, and not
>by any characteristic of the egg.

Were you trying to act dense, or did you just luck out?

I have re-read that quote several times and the meaning seems quite clear.
Nobody said anything about which parent's contribution determined the gender of
the zygote.  The quote merely said that once fertilized, more turn out male
than female.