[net.kids] The Circumcision Decision !!!

faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) (03/27/85)

Circumcision is commonly done the day after birth, due
to it is very painful at an older age.  Many boys that
have not had this, can develop many infections or foreskin
to tear (normally happens as a man).  This becomes very
painful and can result in needed the Circumcision to be
done anyway (very painful).  My decision was to have my son
Circumcisized to avoid him any problems in the future.  His
Daddy agreed with this, due to he is not Circumcisized and
has had many problems.

Although another opinion in which a girlfriend of mine had
decided on, was to not have her boys Circumcisized due to
their Daddy was also not, and wanted them to be able to relate
with what their father has.

The choice is yours to decide, a Doctors opinion will also may
help in your decision....

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (03/29/85)

Is there something I'm missing?  I keep seeing these assertions
that circumcision doesn't hurt if you do it right away.

Surprise!  Babies perceive the same sensations that older people do.
Being cut with a knife hurts.  Kids just can't verbalize what's
hurting them when they scream.
--
'And I will do all these good works, and I will charge nothing!  My
 only reward will be a tombstone that says "Here lies Gomez Addams --

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (03/29/85)

If you intend to circumcize your son, it may be better to wait
at least a few days.  I've heard that some newborns have problems
with blood clotting during the first few days after birth.
(That may be why Jews wait one week).

In article <decwrl.1350> faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) writes:
>Circumcision is commonly done the day after birth, due
>to it is very painful at an older age.  Many boys that
>have not had this, can develop many infections or foreskin
>to tear (normally happens as a man).  This becomes very
>painful and can result in needed the Circumcision to be
>done anyway (very painful).  My decision was to have my son
>Circumcisized to avoid him any problems in the future.  His
>Daddy agreed with this, due to he is not Circumcisized and
>has had many problems.
>
>Although another opinion in which a girlfriend of mine had
>decided on, was to not have her boys Circumcisized due to
>their Daddy was also not, and wanted them to be able to relate
>with what their father has.
>
>The choice is yours to decide, a Doctors opinion will also may
>help in your decision....

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (03/29/85)

	Actually, I'm not sure how important it is for a kid to
be 'like daddy' in this respect.  At least in my case, when I got
to the point of knowing what circumcision was, (and that I was),
I had to ask my father whether he was.  (My parents didn't walk
around the house sans clothes, is this unusual or something???9

						-JCP-

charliem@shark.UUCP (Charlie Mills) (03/31/85)

In article <1350@decwrl.UUCP> faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) writes:
>to it is very painful at an older age.  Many boys that
>have not had this, can develop many infections or foreskin
>to tear (normally happens as a man).  This becomes very
>painful and can result in needed the Circumcision to be
>done anyway (very painful).  My decision was to have my son

This is hogwash.  Ask your pediatrician.  There is no medical or health
benefit from routine circumcision of infants.  And there are lots of
reasons NOT to do it.  The operation is just as painful and traumatic
for babies as it is for older boys or men, probably more so.  Except
your baby can't do anything but scream about it, and his parents
usually aren't listening.  Circumcision is irreversible.  And contrary
to popular opinion, the foreskin does have a useful function.

The only reasons I can think of for circumcising your baby are:
religious ritual, tradition, or because you don't want his peers to
tease him because he's different.  I believe this last reason will not
be important, now that American pediatricians are recommending against
circumcision.  Circumcision will soon become the exception here, as it
is in Europe and everywhere else in the world except Israel and the
Moslem countries.  I don't understand being worried about son looking
different from father.  Son doesn't have all that hair down there
either.  Tell him he is lucky that the he didn't lose his foreskin like
his father did.

	-- Charlie Mills
...{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!shark!charliem

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/17/85)

> If you intend to circumcize your son, it may be better to wait
> at least a few days.  I've heard that some newborns have problems
> with blood clotting during the first few days after birth.
> (That may be why Jews wait one week).

Vitamin K (blood clotting agent) hits its peak about 7 days after
birth.

Must be coincidence!
--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

Science is Dead.                                                    |

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/19/85)

> > If you intend to circumcize your son, it may be better to wait
> > at least a few days.  I've heard that some newborns have problems
> > with blood clotting during the first few days after birth.
> > (That may be why Jews wait one week).
>
> [Me]
> Vitamin K (blood clotting agent) hits its peak about 7 days after
> birth.

My statement above is not *quite* correct.  Vitamin K is synthesized in
the intestinal tract by bacteria.  The Vitamin K is then used by the
liver to make prothrombin, which is a plasma factor essential for blood
coagulation.  So, while K hits its peak then, it is not (directly) the
clotting agent.

Injections of Vitamin K are given to newborns to prevent 'hemorrhagic
disease of the newborn' - bleeding in the first few days after birth
which results from immature liver function and an inadequate supply of
blood platelets.

--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

"Danger signs, a creeping independence"                             |

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (04/26/85)

>> That may be why Jews wait one week [to perform circumcision].
>
>Vitamin K (blood clotting agent) hits its peak about 7 days after
>birth.
>
>Must be coincidence!
>
>Paul DuBois
>
>Science is Dead.

No, Jews probably noticed that circumcisions performed at one week
healed the fastest.

Must be scientific!

Merlyn Leroy

Paul is Dead (old Beatles rumor).