[net.kids] Pregnancy and flying

grl@charm.UUCP (George Lake) (05/08/85)

I have a job offer and my wife and I want to look the place over.
Airlines won't allow pregnant women after the 32nd week.  My wife
is just about there, but looks like she's only 6 months pregnant.
We've read that there is no problem flying at this point, the
airlines just want to avoid in-flight births.  Does anyone
have the real story?

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (05/10/85)

> I have a job offer and my wife and I want to look the place over.
> Airlines won't allow pregnant women after the 32nd week.  My wife
> is just about there, but looks like she's only 6 months pregnant.
> We've read that there is no problem flying at this point, the
> airlines just want to avoid in-flight births.  Does anyone
> have the real story?

Where did you hear this restriction about flying after the 32nd week?  I flew
several times in my last month of pregnancy and I was VERY PREGNANT.  No one
gave me any hassle at all.  I checked with my doctor and she said that there
was no problem.  (I had had a completely uneventful pregnancy up to this
point.)  It may depend on what airline you fly.  I can't remember which one I
was on.  You might want to check around and ask several different airlines.
Ultimately, however, you should follow your doctor's advise.  Good luck.

                                        Sarah E. Dugan
                                        (no clever lines)

twb@hoqam.UUCP (BEATTIE) (05/17/85)

> I have a job offer and my wife and I want to look the place over.
> Airlines won't allow pregnant women after the 32nd week.  My wife
> is just about there, but looks like she's only 6 months pregnant.
> We've read that there is no problem flying at this point, the
> airlines just want to avoid in-flight births.  Does anyone
> have the real story?

Labor can be triggered by a drop in barometric pressure, which is the case with
airplanes. If you want to take a chance it's up to you!
Tom.

charliem@shark.UUCP (Charlie Mills) (05/21/85)

In article <141@hoqam.UUCP> twb@hoqam.UUCP (BEATTIE) writes:
>Labor can be triggered by a drop in barometric pressure ...

Can anyone document that?  Sounds like baloney to me.

	-- Charlie Mills
UUCP: ..{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!shark!charliem
CSNET:	shark!charliem@tektronix
ARPA:	shark!charliem.tektronix@rand-relay
USMail: M/S 61-277
	Tektronix, Inc.