[net.kids] Waking behavior in under-3 year olds

peg@linus.UUCP (Margaret E. Craft) (06/07/85)

The question was why not just take the not-quite-trained kid to the bathroom
when I go to bed, instead of asking her and then diapering if she doesn't
respond.

The answer:  it's pretty hard to get her to wake up enough to pee (unless she
is already awake enough to tell me she wants to go) without setting off a
crying spell.

Anyone else have young kids (under 3) who are very unhappy when woken up
before they want to be?  Joellen is particularly unhappy when she's been
asleep for less than an hour (i.e., fell asleep in the car) and cries without
undertanding why.  I feel sure it's not a "voluntary" fit of crying - she
starts crying before she's fully awake and can cry for 10 to 15 mintues before
getting herself under control.

This behavior has lessened as she gets older, so I wonder if it's some kind of
age dependent thing.

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (06/10/85)

> Anyone else have young kids (under 3) who are very unhappy when woken up
> before they want to be?  Joellen is particularly unhappy when she's been
> asleep for less than an hour (i.e., fell asleep in the car) and cries without
> undertanding why.  I feel sure it's not a "voluntary" fit of crying - she
> starts crying before she's fully awake and can cry for 10 to 15 mintues before
> getting herself under control.
>
> This behavior has lessened as she gets older, so I wonder if it's some kind of
> age dependent thing.

I know exactly what you're talking about.  My daughter, Anne, is 3 1/2 and
still does that.  I think it has something to do with completing a sleep
cycle.  I know when I take a cat-nap for less than two+ hours (the approximate
length of a sleep cycle) I wake up with a nasty headache and am really
punchy.  I think this must be the problem with Anne, but all she knows is that
she doesn't feel right and the only way to tell me is to cry.  I just hold her
until the crying fit goes away (or just let her kick the floor if that seems
to be what she needs.  It's a little noisy, but I don't think there's much
else I can do.  Usually, if I try to do something about it, it only gets
worse.  Sometimes I tell her that she is welcome to cry (don't negate the
feelings) but that she must do it in her room so that she doesn't disturb the
rest of the family. Her response to that is usually to go in her room, cry for
about a minute longer, and then come out and join us.

Sarah E. Dugan

--
                                        Sarah E. Dugan
																				(a friend of Dr. Bob and Bill W.)

steven@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/13/85)

In article <415@linus.UUCP> peg@linus.UUCP (Margaret E. Craft) writes:
>Anyone else have young kids (under 3) who are very unhappy when woken up
>before they want to be?  Joellen is particularly unhappy when she's been
>asleep for less than an hour (i.e., fell asleep in the car) and cries without
>undertanding why.  I feel sure it's not a "voluntary" fit of crying - she
>starts crying before she's fully awake and can cry for 10 to 15 mintues before
>getting herself under control.
>
>This behavior has lessened as she gets older, so I wonder if it's some kind of
>age dependent thing.

We have two children: Sarah (4) and Matthew (2).  Neither of them EVER
likes being waken up before s/he is good and ready.  However, we have
chosen (generally) to accept the cost at bed time rather than in the
middle of the night or early morning.

Since both kids are now potty trained, we find that the only times they
have nighttime accidents are those evenings when we've chosen not to
wake them and take them to the bathroom.  In fact they also cry in the
same involuntary fashion as Joellen.  The crying stops about 10 seconds
after they are back in bed (unless fully woken in which case I recommend
heading for the next county to avoid the cranks and whines).  Again, the
cost is easier to take when we're conscious rather than in the wee
hours.

Parenthood is probably the greatest charge available!
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation  *  (415) 940-6300

kaiser@jaws.DEC (Pete Kaiser, HLO2-1/N10 225-5441) (06/14/85)

Mireille is 3-1/2, and if she falls asleep, we don't wake her to pee, for the
same reason mentioned in the original note: she wakes up "hard", particularly
when she hasn't been asleep long.  So we just diaper her or put her on a
waterproof pad, without awakening her.

Perhaps this is commoner among small children than I used to think.  It wouldn't
have occurred to me, because I awaken easily and undramatically.  That's not
true for my (older) sister Sue, though, so maybe it's not age-dependent.

Anyhow, linus!peg, you're not alone.

---Pete

Kaiser%JAWS.DEC@decwrl.arpa, Kaiser%BELKER.DEC@decwrl.arpa
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-jaws!kaiser
DEC, 77 Reed Road (HLO2-1/N10), Hudson MA 01749		617/568-5441

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (06/17/85)

Our 3-almost-4-year-old needs to be carried to the bathroom almost
every night for a pee around midnight, else the bed gets wet.
She wakes up about half way as I pick her out of bed, I kneel down with
her on the toilet and stroke her back and coo, and then carry her back
to bed.  She is out like a light instantly every time.
	-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (06/18/85)

.
>> I've got three children , the oldest is 4.5 years a girl.
>> The boy is just over 2 and a 3 mopnth old baby. I guess I'm
>> lucky. The girl has been trained fortwo years now and the
>> boy in in the process of training himself in the daytime.(he
>> grabs my hand and quietly says POOOOOOOTY.
>> Training at night was pretty easy. We have a night light in the
>> bathroom so as not to wake the kid, I slid in picked her up,
>> and headed for the bathroom. Once on the commode Gently say
>> something like "potty time" after a couple of times the term
>> penatrates the sleep barrier and your done.
>> I dont know, it worked for me and Jennifer never had a problem
>> good luck.

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (06/18/85)

Our little Heidi (3 1/2 now) always hated being got up to go potty.  What
was interesting was that she didn't mind being awakened (more or less) to
and instead of making the poor thing wake up and walk to the bathroom,
she picked her up like we do coming home, and carried her to the potty
chair.  No problem.  When she was done, she'd walk back to bed under her
own power.  She now makes it through most nights, so we aren't doing the
"potty in the middle of the night" thing, but the carrying is what did
the trick in our case.  Apparently waking up to go potty is much less of
a strain to the psyche than waking up to walk somewhere and go potty.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall