[net.kids] Wanted: Baby Arrival Checklist

rcn@hou2d.UUCP (R.C.Newberry) (06/27/85)

My husband and I are expecting our first in August.  We need a checklist
of essentials to have on hand before the baby arrives.  Now that we
have the baby's room wallpapered and furnished we need to go buy all
those little things from sheets to diapers to baby powder.  I have
seen lists in magazines many months ago, but none lately when I really
need it.

Thanks in advance,

--
  Rosemarie Newberry
  AT&T-BL, Middletown, NJ

mcburnet@topaz.ARPA (Roe McBurnett mcburnet@topaz.uucp) (07/03/85)

In article <572@hou2d.UUCP> rcn@hou2d.UUCP (R.C.Newberry) writes:
>My husband and I are expecting our first in August.  We need a checklist
>of essentials to have on hand before the baby arrives.
>  Rosemarie Newberry
>  {ihnp4!hou2d!rcn}

Try looking in P. Leech's book "Your Baby and Child".. this is an excellent
book for a 1st baby.  Indeed it is excellent for a 2nd child which we are
preparing for now.  There are many such lists ..not only for what to buy but
also for what to look for in day care(if that is your bag) what to tell the
baby sitter,  and many games, activities and etc to do with your child.

She writes a good book and I recommend it highly ( We were very nervous with
our first and bought or were given about 5 books of the same type. Her's was
the best)

Regards and good luck

--
Roe McBurnett		{ut-sally,astrovax}!topaz!mcburnet  or
Hill 521 x4273				       \-> !ru-green!mcburnett

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/04/85)

In article <256@tove.UUCP> mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) writes:
||Three things come to the minds of my wife and I as things we had never
||experienced pre-child but consider necessities post-child.
||	puddle pads 	(these are cloth covered rubber sheets that you
||			can cut to any size and shape.  We were never without
||			one.)

YES! Where we bought them they're called "Dry-Downs". They're
not available in too many places, so you may have to hunt around.
But they're well worth it. Get the ones which have cloth on both

sides so you can turn them - the rubber stops and wet from going through.

Dave Sherman
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (07/06/85)

Three things come to the minds of my wife and I as things we had never
experienced pre-child but consider necessities post-child.
	puddle pads 	(these are cloth covered rubber sheets that you
			can cut to any size and shape.  We were never without
			one.)
	Desitin		(This is a rash ointment, one of many, just happens
			to be my favorite.  Babies are always getting
			strange but harmless rashes.  We never used powder).
	Frozen Casseroles	(These are only so necessary the first week
			or so.  You'll be too tired for real meals and
			too messy to go out.)
Good luck.
	-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

pc@hplabsb.UUCP (07/12/85)

For brand new, on-the-way-home babies:
1. LOTS of changes of "swaddling" if you use cloth diapers
	(those changes reduce to near zero if you use disposables)
	swaddling are those nice, soft, small flannel "receiving blankets"
	that help the newborn feel snug-- as it was in the womb,
	and help as the newborn's primitive thermal feedback system
	gets adjusted
2. Spitup cloths (cloth diapers are perfect, if somewhat unaesthetic)
	once the little one gets the hang of eating, there are still the
	mechanics of keeping the air out & the milk where it belongs;
	and some kids just get bubbles under the milk, so burping brings
	up air & milk.
3. Penelope Leach's _The First Five Years_ which will reassure you, answer
	the questions you're likely to ask, and give the recovering mom
	something of high interest to read while she's resting
4. The carseat-- Century 200 wins my vote hands down as the safest, easiest
	to use model

	Have fun!

						Patricia Collins

--

					{ucbvax|duke|hao|allegra}!hplabs!pc

rws@gypsy.UUCP (07/16/85)

On puddle pads:  If you keep looking, you can buy the material in  a large
sheet, at least a yard square.  Use it that way for mother during the last
few weeks of pregnancy, in case her water breaks at home.  Then cut it up in
appropriate sizes for baby.

On ointments and powders:  our favorite ointment was zinc oxide, which
doesn't smell like fish and seems to come out of the diaper a little more
easily.  Our favorite powder was corn starch.  I think you can even buy
"baby corn starch" now, but I don't know if it is any different from the
laundry aid.  Don't use talcum powder!  It's bad for everyone's lungs.

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/19/85)

In article <27100033@gypsy.UUCP> rws@gypsy.UUCP writes:
||On ointments and powders:  our favorite ointment was zinc oxide, which
||doesn't smell like fish and seems to come out of the diaper a little more
||easily.  Our favorite powder was corn starch.  I think you can even buy
||"baby corn starch" now, but I don't know if it is any different from the
||laundry aid.  Don't use talcum powder!  It's bad for everyone's lungs.

We have always just used Vaseline whenever Ariela developed any
rash or redness. Works wonders. I always wonder whether the ointments
and powders can have something in them which does more harm than good.

Dave Sherman
Toronto

--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/19/85)

>  Our favorite powder was corn starch.  I think you can even buy
> "baby corn starch" now, but I don't know if it is any different from the
> laundry aid.  Don't use talcum powder!  It's bad for everyone's lungs.

Yes, you can buy corn starch "Baby Powder". We got a free sample
of it at the hospital. We definately prefer it over the talcum powder.
You can shake it on (no problems with it getting into little
lungs), and it doesn't have that God awfull perfume!
                               Dave Lowrey

"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question....
 ....or is it?"
                                ...!(<sun,cbosgd,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (07/25/85)

> On ointments and powders:  our favorite ointment was zinc oxide, which
> doesn't smell like fish and seems to come out of the diaper a little more
> easily.
]
] We used an ointment made by Vick (not Vicks). It is made in Ontario,
] Canada. It cannot be sold or brought across the border into the U.S.
] and dont ask me why, it makes no sence at all. Anyway we snuck some
] in - My God talk about self incrimination. Am I in the same class
] as gun runners?-. Really tho if you can get some the stuff is great.
] A BAD rash will last two days using this stuff. Blue and white label.