[net.kids] The Perils of Nutrasweet

mwg@petrus.UUCP (07/11/85)

++
> ...concerns nutrasweet and pregnant women. I was told that a physician
> at Emory has stated that nutrasweet may be harmfull to the unborn
> baby. My question is twofold: 1. Why wasn't this studied earlier?

There was a longish article last year in Common Cause magazine about
nutrasweet.  The claim was that nutrasweet was pushed through the FDA
very quickly (and not without substantial pressure from some chemical
company which makes almost all of it), with a minimum of studys and
testing.  They failed to show, conclusively, any harmful side-effects.
This was related to the fact that they failed to show *anything*
conclusively.  The product was raced through approval to demonstrate the
Reagan administration's desire not to tie up 'progress' with too much
red tape.  The main interviewee of the article was an MD (from Emory if
I remember) who said that nutrasweet was the type of thing that plays
with a class of vital bodily fluids which exist and function in extremely
small quantities (hormones or neurotransmitters or some such).  Therefore
a small quantity of neutrosweet may affect your mood, disposition or other
psychological and neural brain functions in subtle, difficult-to-measure
ways.  I avoid the stuff like the plague.

If you would like, I can dig up the article and post quotes or send you
a hard copy. (Send mail.)
-Mark

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/12/85)

> The claim was that nutrasweet was pushed through the FDA very quickly
> (and not without substantial pressure from some chemical company which
> makes almost all of it), with a minimum of studys and testing.
----------
I'm reasonably sure that aspartame was reported in _Science_ in 1973.
Time to FDA approval is, therefore, about 11 years.  This is a rush?

--
scott preece
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/13/85)

I vaguely recall reading something about a conflict of interest concerning
the allegations concerning Nutrasweet.

I also remember that it was the Sugar industry that sponsored the "research"
that led to the banning of Cyclamates.

Unfortunately, the laws are such that Sugar, which is a more damaging
substance, is not regulated in any significant way as far as adulterating
food with it is concerned.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

claus@inuxd.UUCP (David Claus) (07/15/85)

> Unfortunately, the laws are such that Sugar, which is a more damaging
> substance, is not regulated in any significant way as far as adulterating
> food with it is concerned.

Is there any proof to this allegation?  As far as I have heard
the only harm eating sugar has is an increase in dental caries.

What else does sugar do to give it such a bad reputation.

Dave Claus
AT&T/Indy

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/16/85)

In article <780@inuxd.UUCP> claus@inuxd.UUCP (David Claus) writes:
>> Unfortunately, the laws are such that Sugar, which is a more damaging
>> substance, is not regulated in any significant way as far as adulterating
>> food with it is concerned.
>
>Is there any proof to this allegation?  As far as I have heard
>the only harm eating sugar has is an increase in dental caries.
>
>What else does sugar do to give it such a bad reputation.

One who makes comments such as the above desperately needs some information
about sugar, and not from the sugar industry or its apologists.

One of the best references is "Sweet and Dangerous" by Dr. John Yudkin
Ph.D..  This book is available at most larger bookstores, and contains
its own bibliography.

--

pamelam@orca.UUCP (Pamela Morton) (07/16/85)

> > Unfortunately, the laws are such that Sugar, which is a more damaging
> > substance, is not regulated in any significant way as far as adulterating
> > food with it is concerned.
>
> Is there any proof to this allegation?  As far as I have heard
> the only harm eating sugar has is an increase in dental caries.
>
> What else does sugar do to give it such a bad reputation.
>
> Dave Claus
> AT&T/Indy

I tend to agree with Dave Claus -- despite the effects that sugar may have
on SOME people, dental caries are the most significant long-term health
risk attributable to eating sugar.

This month's Atlantic has an excellent article on the potentially harmful
effects of sugar and nutrasweet.  The article points out that PKU syndrome
occurs only when there are two defective genes.  Some 4 million Americans
have one PKU gene, and they are considered "carriers".  Pregnant women who
are PKU carriers are more likely to be carrying a baby with full-blown PKU
syndrome, and putting that baby at greater risk when they drink Nutrasweet.
And the big problem is that most carriers have never been
screened -- they don't know who they are.

As I recall when my children were born (2 years ago, and 6 months ago),
they were screened for PKU syndrome at birth, then again at the one-week
checkup.  In Oregon, the state actually does the test, and I think that the
test is required by law.  Our pediatrician just put a blood
smear on a card that was mailed to the state department of
health.

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (07/17/85)

> > Unfortunately, the laws are such that Sugar, which is a more damaging
> > substance, is not regulated in any significant way as far as adulterating
> > food with it is concerned.
>
> Is there any proof to this allegation?  As far as I have heard
> the only harm eating sugar has is an increase in dental caries.
>
> What else does sugar do to give it such a bad reputation.
>
> Dave Claus
> AT&T/Indy

    0.  Long-term consumption can cause diabetes by "burning-out" the pancreas.
	I had a roommate do this to himself by pigging-out on sugar-filled junk
	food for YEARS.  He now has to take insulin every day.

    1.  I have hypoglycemia, which I am given to understand means that my body
	is "too efficient" at metabolizing sugar(sucrose).  This may have
	happened as a result of having been given sucrose as a child.  My case
	is mild; i.e. I don't faint, but feel LOUSY about half an hour after
	eating anything with much sucrose in it.  A friend of mine fainted in
	a supermarket.  They wanted to call the ambulance, but I poured orange
	juice into her and had to fend everyone off.  My friend was O.K. after
	resting for an hour or so.  After becomming accustomed to doing without
	sucrose, I that I don't miss it at all.  I find that fructose makes a
	good substitute without nearly so much of a "sugar-fit".

    2.  I have heard that [lots of] sucrose can have a bad effect on the
	nervous system but have no evidence to back it up.

					From the alter ego of--

					Kchula-Rrit

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (07/18/85)

>  0.   Long-term consumption can cause diabetes by "burning-out" the pancreas.
>	I had a roommate do this to himself by pigging-out on sugar-filled junk
> 	food for YEARS.  He now has to take insulin every day.

Hoo, boy, more "science".  Like it or not, there is no evidence that
eating "sugar-filled junk" has any deleterious effects other than dental
caries (and in people who have a calorie excess, obesity.)

Let's move this to net.religion, huh?
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/19/85)

In article <2991@nsc.UUCP> nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) writes:
>    0.  Long-term consumption can cause diabetes by "burning-out" the pancreas.
>	I had a roommate do this to himself by pigging-out on sugar-filled junk
>	food for YEARS.  He now has to take insulin every day.

Can you cite any medical research to back up this theory?  If there's any
correlation at all, it seems equally likely that the insulin deficiency caused
the craving for "sugar-filled junk foods".

Can you say "post hoc, ergo propter hoc"???

AWR

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (07/19/85)

When metabolized, Nutrasweet (aspartame) breaks down into (among other
things) phenylalanine, which is an amino acid (biochemists correct me
if I'm wrong).  Most people can deal with phenylalanine, but there is
a significant portion of the population (>10%?) which cannot.  These are
"phenylketonurics".  There's even a warning on most things which use
Nutrasweet which says:
	"Phenylketonurics: This product contains phenylalanine."
Now, to most people, a phenylketonuric might as well be some kind
of small amphibian.  In any case, for such folk, phenylalanine can accumulate
in the brain, leading to mood changes, lack of concentration, and even
mental retardation.  It has also been suspected of causing rashes, nausea,
and headaches.
	An example: my sister teaches emotionally disturbed children in
the Philadelphia area.  She described one boy who was, up to a certain
point, doing fine in school - he gradually lost his ability to concentrate
and became a "problem" child, at which point he was enrolled in the Easter
Seals program (where my sister works).  After talking to his mother, they
found out that she had recently started buying diet drinks.  They agreed
to take him off the diet drinks & see what happened.  Within a week, he had
improved tremendously.
	I shudder to think how popular this stuff is, and what it might be
doing to a significant portion of the population!
--
C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/20/85)

In article <273@bbnccv.UUCP> sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>Hoo, boy, more "science".  Like it or not, there is no evidence that
>eating "sugar-filled junk" has any deleterious effects other than dental
>caries (and in people who have a calorie excess, obesity.)
>
>Let's move this to net.religion, huh?

... Just like there's no positive proof concerning the evils and causes of
acid rain, lung cancer (cigarettes), mouth cancer (snuff), etc.

A good starting text on the subject is the book "Sweet and Dangerous" by
Dr John Yudkin, Professor of Physiology at Queen Elizabeth College of London
University, etc.  A quote therefrom:
	"If only a fraction of what is already known about the effects of
	sugar were to be revealed in relation to any other material used
	as a food additive, that material would promptly be banned."

--

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (07/22/85)

> In article <273@bbnccv.UUCP> sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> >Hoo, boy, more "science".  Like it or not, there is no evidence that
> >eating "sugar-filled junk" has any deleterious effects other than dental
> >caries (and in people who have a calorie excess, obesity.)
> >
> >Let's move this to net.religion, huh?
>
> ... Just like there's no positive proof concerning the evils and causes of
> acid rain, lung cancer (cigarettes), mouth cancer (snuff), etc.

This is a silly debating tactic.  It is worth noting that the medical
profession has firmly supported the findings against tobacco for more
than 20 years.  The same is NOT true for sugar, and the reason is simple:
the extravagant claims made against sugar simply don't materialize when
subjected to scientific scrutiny.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer
sdyer@bbnccv.ARPA

ewj@hscfvax.UUCP (850039@P.Fuller) (07/23/85)

It may be true that there is NO scientific or medical evidence to
support definite criticism of refined cane sugar.  Yet it is difficult
to deny the anecdotal evidence of many ex sugar addicts who claim to
have had a remarkable changes once they discontinued eating any of this
food/substance.  It may be that some people have a strong sensitivity to
highly refined carbohydrates (certainly many parents have observed
this with their children of various ages) and that this is a personal
issue not subject to empirical verification in control groups.  In any
case, those people who choose to avoid eating refined sugars should
respect others who have no such predilection.  And vice versa.

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (07/23/85)

> Hoo, boy, more "science".  Like it or not, there is no evidence that
> eating "sugar-filled junk" has any deleterious effects other than dental
> caries (and in people who have a calorie excess, obesity.)
>
> the extravagant claims made against sugar simply don't materialize when
> subjected to scientific scrutiny.

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!smh

All I know is that if I eat a normal diet with sweats, I am diabetic.
If I abstain from sugar my blood sugar is absolutely normal.  I certainly
cannot say that sugar caused this condition to occur, but it does occur.

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (07/23/85)

> It may be that some people have a strong sensitivity to
> highly refined carbohydrates (certainly many parents have observed
> this with their children of various ages) and that this is a personal
> issue not subject to empirical verification in control groups.  In any
> case, those people who choose to avoid eating refined sugars should
> respect others who have no such predilection.  And vice versa.

Absolutely in agreement.  A statement like "I felt bad when I ate
lots of sugar" is outside of the realm of scientific verification.
On the other hand, saying "sugar is poison, just look at how I felt"
or some variant of this certainly can be tested.
--

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (07/24/85)

>  Most people can deal with phenylalanine, but there is
> a significant portion of the population (>10%?) which cannot.  These are
> "phenylketonurics".  There's even a warning on most things which use
> Nutrasweet which says:
> 	"Phenylketonurics: This product contains phenylalanine."

From the Merck Manual, 12th ed, p. 1111:

"Phenylketonuria (PKU) is transmitted by an autosomal recessive gene;
it is caused by a deficiency of phenylalanine hydroxylase.  The condition
occurs in 7:100,000 births in the general population of the USA, with
the incidence being considerably lower among Negroes and Askenazi Jews."

7/100000 is many times lower than >10%? (unless this is a kind of
notation I've never seen before!)
--

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/25/85)

In article <227@bbncc5.UUCP> sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>> In article <273@bbnccv.UUCP> sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>> >Hoo, boy, more "science".  Like it or not, there is no evidence that
>> >eating "sugar-filled junk" has any deleterious effects other than dental
>> >caries (and in people who have a calorie excess, obesity.)
>> >
>> >Let's move this to net.religion, huh?
>>
>> ... Just like there's no positive proof concerning the evils and causes of
>> acid rain, lung cancer (cigarettes), mouth cancer (snuff), etc.
>
>This is a silly debating tactic.  It is worth noting that the medical
>profession has firmly supported the findings against tobacco for more
>than 20 years.  The same is NOT true for sugar, and the reason is simple:
>the extravagant claims made against sugar simply don't materialize when
>subjected to scientific scrutiny.

Q.E.D.

Smoking has been around since Sir Walter Raleigh (17th century), and the
medical community hasn't come down hard on it until now.

If it takes as long for the medical community to react to the wholesale
suarar loading of our diet, we still have a few hundred years to wait
for the word to propagate.

If the "defenders" of sugar would take the bother to acknowledge the
references I've given, their debating style wouldn't sound so much like
the Tobacco Institute.
--

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (07/27/85)

> > a significant portion of the population (>10%?) which cannot.  These are

> it is caused by a deficiency of phenylalanine hydroxylase.  The condition
> occurs in 7:100,000 births in the general population of the USA, with

> 7/100000 is many times lower than >10%? (unless this is a kind of

What can I say?  I got the figure out of Science...
I might be confusing Phenylketonuria with a more general condition
involving phenylalanine.  I am positive that more than .007% of the
people I know are affected by Nutrasweet-sweetened soft drinks,
so I am much more inclined to believe the 10% figure.
--

sck@elsie.UUCP (Steve Kaufman) (07/30/85)

In article <208@steinmetz.UUCP>, connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) writes:
> I am positive that more than .007% of the
> people I know are affected by Nutrasweet-sweetened soft drinks,
> so I am much more inclined to believe the 10% figure.

	3-digit precision based solely on anecdotal evidence?
	This sugar/aspartame/honey/etc stuff
	is getting more & more ridiculous every day!

	By the way, PKU is
	"a common biochemical disorder [as such things go],
	occurring with an incidence of about 1 in 15,000 births."
	[Nadler & Burton, 1980, "Genetics", p. 99 in _Fetal_&_Maternal_Medicine,
	Quilligan & Kretchmer, eds., Wiley]

	"Incidence estimates, including the milder forms,
	are as high as 1 in 7000 births in the US and Canada."
	[David Poskanzer, 1981 "Neurological Disorders", p. 281 in
	_Preventive_&_Community_Medicine_, Clark & MacMahon, eds., Little]

doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) (07/30/85)

In article <208@steinmetz.UUCP> connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) writes:
>> > a significant portion of the population (>10%?) which cannot.  These are
>
>> it is caused by a deficiency of phenylalanine hydroxylase.  The condition
>> occurs in 7:100,000 births in the general population of the USA, with
>
>> 7/100000 is many times lower than >10%? (unless this is a kind of
>
>What can I say?  I got the figure out of Science...
>I might be confusing Phenylketonuria with a more general condition
>involving phenylalanine.  I am positive that more than .007% of the
				^^^^^^^^
>people I know are affected by Nutrasweet-sweetened soft drinks,

What makes you so sure ?????