[net.kids] Sugar vs. nutrasweet

todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) (07/16/85)

> What's natural about Sugar save advertising hype?  If it weren't for our
> ADDICTION to sugar, there wouldn't be much of a need for Nutrasweet in
> the first place.
> --
>   Chuck Forsberg

The "evils" of sugar have been discussed and documented for decades.
However, the amount of sugar that has been used (or "tested" if you
will) exceeds the use of nutrasweet by some enormous factor. Nutra-
sweet may be perfectly safe, maybe even preferable to sugar in all
respects, but until adequate testing is performed, neither my kids,
my wife (her choice), nor I will use the stuff (same goes for saccarine).

At least sugar's evils are well documented and tested.

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | _ |
    |___|

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/19/85)

In article <222@SCIRTP.UUCP> todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:

>The "evils" of sugar have been discussed and documented for decades.
>However, the amount of sugar that has been used (or "tested" if you
>will) exceeds the use of nutrasweet by some enormous factor. Nutra-
>sweet may be perfectly safe, maybe even preferable to sugar in all
>respects, but until adequate testing is performed, neither my kids,
>my wife (her choice), nor I will use the stuff (same goes for saccarine).
>
>At least sugar's evils are well documented and tested.

Acid rain, cigarette smoke, lead, and nuclear radiation have also been
with us much longer than Nutrasweet.  If you believe our present levels
of sugar consumption a lesser risk merely because they have been around
a few decades longer than Nutrasweet, then you must, by the same logic,
believe the others are OK as well.

By the way, I would not be surprised in the least if there has been less
scientific research/testing on the dangers of sugar than of Nutrasweet.
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) (07/24/85)

> Acid rain, cigarette smoke, lead, and nuclear radiation have also been
> with us much longer than Nutrasweet.  If you believe our present levels
> of sugar consumption a lesser risk merely because they have been around
> a few decades longer than Nutrasweet, then you must, by the same logic,
> believe the others are OK as well.
>
> By the way, I would not be surprised in the least if there has been less
> scientific research/testing on the dangers of sugar than of Nutrasweet.
> --
>   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX

No, no, no. I won't contend that massive amounts of scientific
research and testing have been performed on sugar and its effects.
I didn't contend that a substances longevity guarantees its safeness.

What I meant was: Only subtle (although potentially dangerous)
side-effects of sugar consumption could evade the notice of the
millions (billions?) of sugar users after all these years. Once
Roentgen and Mme. Curie and a few of their peers keeled over
it became pretty clear that nuclear radiation was a force not
to be messed with. Ask any scientist-laboratory testing is
never sufficient for making concrete assertions. Field testing
(in this case, generations of sugar consumers not displaying
markedly different effects from non-sugar consumers) must
complement laboratory testing for optimum reliability.

We know more (not everything, just more) about the long-term
and short term effects of sugar on human health and behavior
than we do of Nutrasweet.

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | ~ |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/28/85)

In article <240@SCIRTP.UUCP> todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:
>We know more (not everything, just more) about the long-term
>and short term effects of sugar on human health and behavior
>than we do of Nutrasweet.

The long term effects of sugar on humans are not general folklore because
	1.  The bad effects apparently dot not apply to all
	2.  The sugar industry has waged an effective disinformation campaign

Consider that it took hundreds of years for the bad effects of cigarettes
to become the medical folklore, and that there is still no consensus on
the the extent of the danger of cholesterol IN FOODS, and it is safe to
assume the bad effects of sugar will be a long time unacknowledged.
--

In article <205@omen.UUCP> caf@.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:

>Consider that it took hundreds of years for the bad effects of cigarettes
>to become the medical folklore, and that there is still no consensus on
>the the extent of the danger of cholesterol IN FOODS, and it is safe to
>assume the bad effects of sugar will be a long time unacknowledged.

	Oh, Good Grief! The harmful effexts of cigarettes were
discovered only decades *after* *testing* *began*. Prior to the
beginning og the century such research simply was not done(or even
possible)! Once started on the subject, research showed the problem
quite rapidly.
	And as for the cholesterol, maybe there is no "concensus"
because the danger isn't quite as bad as you think! Recent research
has shown that there are two types of cholesterol(High density
Lipo-protein and Low density Lipo-protein), and the significant
factor with regard to health is the *ratio* of the two types, *not*
the absolute quantity consumed! So, in order to evaluate the danger
of some food you must check the ratio of cholesterol types. This is
not as easy to do as measuring total cholesterol content.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen