[net.kids] thumb-sucking

faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) (04/05/85)

Any suggestions on how to wean a 3 1/2 from
sucking his thumb ???

sidney@faron.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) (04/08/85)

In <1524@decwrl.UUCP> faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) writes:
>Any suggestions on how to wean a 3 1/2 from
>sucking his thumb ???

Here's some ideas that come from some of the behaviorally-oriented
psychotherapies:

First, as you have probably already noticed, the direct approach of "don't
do that" is not going to work.

Second, a confrontive approach, like smearing bad-tasting stuff on the
thumb, mittens, etc., may only lead to a protracted battle that no one will
win.

The key to changing any habitual behavior is for you to utilize and take
control of the behavior itself, leading the child to modify the behavior
until it is no longer objectionable or a habit. In this case, encourage the
child to do a really good job of finger sucking -- Not the half-hearted
right-thumb sucking that she is doing now. Have him start sucking his left
thumb, too. Then her right pinkie. Left pinkie. Make sure all the fingers
get a good suck. Set up some time every morning of enforced, thorough,
finger sucking so that he can be sure to get in all the finger sucking he
wants for the day. Enforce that enough so that the child can have something
to rebel against, and so that your effort is credible, but remember to allow
enough rebellion so she can stop when she wants to. You can set up what is
called a "double bind" in which the child can either do what you say, which
is what the child claims to want, except even more, or else rebel and stop
the originally rebellious behavior. The result tends to be to just drop the
whole thing instead of dealing with the alternatives. Be sure to be sincere
in encouraging the child to suck his fingers, since if you communicate
sarcasm instead, then the child will get to rebel against the real message
of "stop sucking your fingers."

--
					Sidney Markowitz

ARPA:	sidney@mitre-bedford
UUCP:	...{allegra,decvax,genrad,ihnp4,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sidney

charliem@shark.UUCP (Charlie Mills) (04/08/85)

In article <1524@decwrl.UUCP> faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) writes:
>Any suggestions on how to wean a 3 1/2 from
>sucking his thumb ???

Don't bother.  He will have quit of his own accord by the time he starts
high school.  Seriously.

	-- Charlie Mills
UUCP: ..{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!shark!charliem
CSNET:	shark!charliem@tektronix
ARPA:	shark!charliem.tektronix@rand-relay
USMail: M/S 61-277
	Tektronix, Inc.
	P.O. Box 1000
	Wilsonville, OR 97070

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (04/08/85)

> Any suggestions on how to wean a 3 1/2 from
> sucking his thumb ???

Yes, don't try.  I really mean this, he will stop sucking his thumb on
his own accord long before the sucking is a problem, and probably long
before your best efforts will succeed.  Why deny your child such a pleasant
security?, he obviously still wants it (no reflection on you) but won't
forever.  Our pediatrician says that almost all kids totally give it up
once most of their peers do - usually about kindergarten.

Care,
Peter Barbee

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (04/09/85)

> Any suggestions on how to wean a 3 1/2 from
> sucking his thumb ???

Wait till he starts school.
The peer pressure will get to him (hopefully).
(I sucked until I was in second grade).
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

mcburnet@topaz.ARPA (Roe McBurnett mcburnet@topaz.uucp) (04/10/85)

I thought that thumb sucking past age 4 or so just means money in the banko
for orthodontists..  the power of the sucking over long periods of time
results in movement of the upper teeth and a lousy byte..

I had this happen to me... But I don't know if it was because I sucked my
thumb too long or due to other factors.  I just know that if eliminating
thumb sucking *COULD* stop visits to the dentist it is worth it.
--
Roe McBurnett		{ut-sally,astrovax}!topaz!mcburnet  or
Hill 521 x4273				       \-> !ru-green!mcburnett

charliem@shark.UUCP (Charlie Mills) (04/11/85)

In article <273@faron.UUCP> sidney@faron.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) writes:
>In <1524@decwrl.UUCP> faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) writes:
>>Any suggestions on how to wean a 3 1/2 from
>>sucking his thumb ???
>
>... You can set up what is
>called a "double bind" in which the child can either do what you say, which
>is what the child claims to want, except even more, or else rebel and stop
>the originally rebellious behavior...

How can anyone think thumb-sucking is rebellious behaviour?  Clearly it
stems from a need to suck or a need for the security associated with sucking.
How can a need for security be construed as rebellious?

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (04/12/85)

>I thought that thumb sucking past age 4 or so just means money in the banko
>for orthodontists..  the power of the sucking over long periods of time
>results in movement of the upper teeth and a lousy byte..

Our daughter still sucks her thumb (age 4) so we have investigated what
effect this might have on our future dentist and orthodontic bills.  Our
dentist said "No effect if she stops sucking before her permanent teeth
come in".  The orthodontist we know actually laughed saying "There is
vitually no corelation between temporary tooth placement and permanent
tooth placement".

This old wife's tale is not true.

Peter B

sidney@faron.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) (04/14/85)

In article <1327@shark.UUCP> charliem@shark.UUCP (Charlie Mills) writes:
>In article <273@faron.UUCP> sidney@faron.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) writes:
>>In <1524@decwrl.UUCP> faucher@futbal.DEC (Cathy Faucher 381-2207) writes:
>>>Any suggestions on how to wean a 3 1/2 from
>>>sucking his thumb ???
>>
>>... You can set up what is
>>called a "double bind" in which the child can either do what you say, which
>>is what the child claims to want, except even more, or else rebel and stop
>>the originally rebellious behavior...
>
>How can anyone think thumb-sucking is rebellious behaviour?  Clearly it
>stems from a need to suck or a need for the security associated with sucking.
>How can a need for security be construed as rebellious?

Thumb sucking in itself is not rebellious behavior. Thumb sucking when the
parent is trying to get the child to stop may be rebellious behavior. I
should point out that I replied to the theoretical question of influencing a
child to modify habits, and didn't notice the age of the child in question.
The other answers of the form "don't worry about it, the child will probably
stop when he goes to school, if not before" are probably more accurate.

Another aspect of the therapeutic double bind is that it tends to put
behavior that was considered rebellious in a more positive frame. When what
is going on is a contest of power between parent and child, then innocent
thumb-sucking may be perceived by one or both as "rebellious". When the
parent is advised to actively encourage thumb-sucking, then 1) it can no
longer be perceived that way ; and 2) if the child does assert his
independence by not sucking his thumb, then that is not perceived as
"rebellious" either. So I am agreeing with you completely.

--
					Sidney Markowitz

ARPA:	sidney@mitre-bedford
UUCP:	...{allegra,decvax,genrad,ihnp4,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sidney

tar@hou5g.UUCP (Tim Rock) (04/17/85)

of thumb sucking I would like to relate to you one of my
sister's experiences.

Her daughter was continually sucking her thumb.  She had
a seventy year old man she met at church baby sit for her
on several occasions.  Each time he sat with her, she noticed
that for a while afterwords her daughter would refrain
from sucking her thumb.  She eventually asked the gentleman
how he was achieving this result and found out he was
applying Liederkranz cheese to Dori's thumbs.  Little
Dori was unable to bear bringing her thumbs within the
vacinity of her nose.  After a while her mother only had
to refer to the "yucky" cheese to get the desired results.

I imagine that any pungent cheese would have the same affect.

Tim Rock AT&T Info Systems Holmdel hou5g!tar

christensen@apollo.uucp (Wendy Christensen) (07/31/85)

G. Bogatko writes:

> 	I am looking for information on how to stop a 6 year old from
> sucking her thumb. She only sucks it in the daytime, but during that daytime
> it is constant.  She would rather suck her thumb than anything else.
> 	This is really starting to piss me off.
> 	She has plenty of friends, does well in school, has lots of outside
> things to do, but......in the end she would rather suck her thumb.

Leave her alone. She is not doing herself any harm, and trying to force her
to stop may well do her harm. You say she is well-adjusted, has friends,
does well in school, etc. It seems the only disadvantage of her behavior
is that is "pisses you off." This is insufficient condition for forcing her
to stop something she obviously needs and enjoys. I know of a case of a girl
who continued to suck her thumb, day and night, until she was eighteen
years old, when she stopped completely and spontaneously. No ill effects,
physical or emotional, ever appeared. No one ever made a big deal of
it. I think you are more concerned with appearances than with the well-being
of the six-year-old in question.

w. christensen