[net.kids] infants in water

rws@gypsy.UUCP (08/01/85)

Pediatricians are divided on whether extensive swimming training for
children under 4 is healthy.  I know I read a reliable article somewhere
pointing to  increased incidence of related health problems.  So check with
your pediatrician.

Bob Schwanke

Siemens Research
Princeton, NJ
08540-6668

seismo!princeton!siemens!rws

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (08/04/85)

Bob Schwanke writes:
>Pediatricians are divided on whether extensive swimming training for
>children under 4 is healthy.  I know I read a reliable article somewhere
>pointing to  increased incidence of related health problems.  So check with
>your pediatrician.

With the usual caveats because I am not a parent and I do not have
any scientific proof beside myself, I'd like to disagree with the
first part of Bob's note.  My mother had me around the pool and in
the water by the time I was seven months old.  My siblings and I
all knew how to swim very early (definitely before age four.)  We
never had any related health problems and my parents felt a lot better
about us being around pools.  I don't know what you mean by "extensive"
swimming training (20 laps every day at age 3 using a variety of
strokes? :-) ), but basic survival swimming should keep a child from
panicking if she falls into the water.  I agree, however, that you
might want to check with your pediatrician especially if your child
has ear, nose, throat, or eye problems.
					Beth Katz

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (08/08/85)

> Bob Schwanke writes:
> >Pediatricians are divided on whether extensive swimming training for
> >children under 4 is healthy.  I know I read a reliable article somewhere
> >pointing to  increased incidence of related health problems.  So check with
> >your pediatrician.

No, I'm not a parent, but I used to be fanatical about swimming, and am still
somewhat interested in it.   What I have heard about the matter is that most
of the health problems are related to the habbit of teaching very young
children to swim with their faces and heads in the water.  Of course it is
pretty difficult to swim properly without having one's face in the water,
but in the case of toddlers, who cares...
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie