[net.kids] Sibling presence at childbirth

itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (08/04/85)

[start mild flame]

Well gang, I'm truly disappointed.  I announced the birth of our
daughter and mentioned the presence of her older sister, suggesting that
maybe some discussion might be interesting.  NOTHING!  Did I miss
something?  Has this issue been discussed to death?  This is something
very important and relevant, I think.

[end flame - start discussion]

   Several (potential) parents have written me saying they are  interested
   in  such  a discussion.  Since nothing ensued from my announcement, I'd
   like to start one here.

   To recap a little bit, we had planned to have our almost four year  old
   daughter  present  at  the birth of our next child.  To prepare her, we
   had showed her videotape of our two year old son's  birth,  bought  and
   shared  some  books (we found several excellent ones), and discussed it
   quite a bit.  When Debbie went into labor three weeks  early,  we  were
   fortunately  prepared.   Almost!  In the ABC at Good Samaritan Hospital
   the OB advised us that sibling  presence  had  to  be  approved  by  an
   Executive  Committee,  and  that  we  hadn't  submitted  the forms.  He
   further advised us that he was opposed to it!  This was a surprise  and
   a  shock  to  Debbie  who was fully emotionally committed to this.  The
   doctor said that the reason for the committee and  his  opposition  was
   that there are three children in the area under psychiatric care due to
   the trauma of witnessing a sibling's birth.  Those  children  had  been
   prepared  too,  he said.  Being fearless, we nonetheless requested that
   something be done.  The doctor, in spite of his reservations,  arranged
   everything, and we received verbal approval within fifteen minutes.

   Our daughter not only survived  quite  well,  but  was  fascinated  and
   thrilled  at  the whole experience.  We videotaped this event also, and
   its clear in the tape that she loved every minute of it.  Her  presence
   created  a  special  bond  between  her  (Sarah)  and  her  new  sister
   (Samantha).   Also,  our  son  (Matthew)  came  in  shortly  after  and
   participated  in  the Leboyer bath.  The bonding from this shared birth
   is astounding.  Both children (not  to  mention  their  parents)  adore
   their sister.  They are very protective and loving and gentle (she's 12
   days old today).  Debbie and I  felt  that  this  was  an  incomparable
   experience, and would have been very sad not to have shared it.

   I've recently spoken with a colleague whose  wife  is  due  to  deliver
   their  baby  in  mid-september.  They have three older children (10, 9,
   and 3), and Marcia would like them to be  present.   Pete  is  kind  of
   casual and doesn't really want them there.  I confess that I'm somewhat
   astounded.  But then, some people don't  want  to  have  to  share  and
   divide  their  attention (this is not meant as a criticism, just trying
   to understand these aliens).  As with photographing and videotaping the
   event  (another topic altogether), YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND REDO IT IF YOU
   CHANGE YOUR MIND LATER.  This is exactly what happened to us with Sarah
   (our  first).   We  didn't  videotape  it  and  really  regret  it now.
   Fortunately, we have some excellent pictures taken by  my  father  (ok,
   let's hear it from those who can't understand this either).

   Anyway, I'm really interested to hear some discussion of this  (and  so
   are  some  others,  I  know).   If you have some personal questions (or
   criticisms), please mail them to me.  If  they  are  appropriate,  I'll
   share them with the net.  Otherwise, go ahead and followup.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA

todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) (08/06/85)

excerpts from Steven List's article regarding sibling presence in
the delivery room marked by >.

>    In the ABC at Good Samaritan Hospital
>    the OB advised us that sibling  presence  had  to  be  approved  by  an
>    Executive  Committee,  and  that  we  hadn't  submitted  the forms.  He
>    further advised us that he was opposed to it!  This was a surprise  and
>    a  shock  to  Debbie  who was fully emotionally committed to this.

     Were you and Debbie convinced there could be no adverse reaction
     from your observing child?

>    I've recently spoken with a colleague whose  wife  is  due  to  deliver
>    their  baby  in  mid-september.  They have three older children (10, 9,
>    and 3), and Marcia would like them to be  present.   Pete  is  kind  of
>    casual and doesn't really want them there.  I confess that I'm somewhat
>    astounded.

     Why are astounded?

>    But then, some people don't  want  to  have  to  share  and
>    divide  their  attention (this is not meant as a criticism, just trying
>    to understand these aliens).  As with photographing and videotaping the
>    event  (another topic altogether), YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND REDO IT IF YOU
>    CHANGE YOUR MIND LATER.  This is exactly what happened to us with Sarah
>    (our  first).   We  didn't  videotape  it  and  really  regret  it now.
>    Fortunately, we have some excellent pictures taken by  my  father  (ok,
>    let's hear it from those who can't understand this either).

     I'm not going to criticize you, but I think i should offer
     an explanation why some fairly liberal-minded parents opted
     out of sharing the delivery experience with their kids.

	   The miracle of birth is a wonderful spectacle to behold
	   if the beholder is prepared for the pain and joy. In
	   the event of a complication (even minor) it would be
	   difficult for many children to comprehend the ensuing
	   events. Should they witness a C-section? I should hope
	   not. But if they were told how wonderful the miracle
	   of birth was and see Mommy wisked away for some secret
	   operation, it would not surprise me if the observing
	   child had difficulties in processing this.

	   If your child does not cope well with the process,
	   remember, YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND REDO IT IF YOU CHANGE
	   YOUR MIND LATER. Don't misunderstand me. I don't
	   advocate shrouding the birthing process from your
	   children in some dark cloak of secrecy and myth.
	   But I felt our son had more to lose than the
	   potential "character-building" experience
	   could have allowed him to gain from. I know
	   you're saying,"That poor kid never saw the most
	   wonderful experience know to personkind."
	   I only hope he will experience it himself...
	   when he is ready.

	   I was present at the birth of our two children.
	   I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and we
	   explained to our then 3 1/2 year old exactly
	   how his sibling was to come into the world. He
	   was fascinated, but never indicated he would have
	   wanted to be there. I also confess I took no photos,
	   but my recollection, I assure you, is more vivid
	   than any photographs could convey. I'm glad everything
	   worked out fine for you and your observing kids,
	   but I am glad we left our son with his aunt.
	   To minimize separation, we left at 9:00 p.m., delivered
	   at 11:30 p.m., and returned home the next morning at 10:00 a.m.

	-todd jones

ahearn@convexs.UUCP (08/07/85)

My daughter Lara was present at the birth of her brother, John, a little
over three years ago, when she was three years old. She has apparently survived
the supposed ``trauma'' very well, with no scars, hysteria, or symptomatic
behavior. Furthermore, she and her brother have from the beginning been very,
very close. Perhaps her presence at the birth has something to do with their
closeness. Who knows? Seems likely to me.

We had not planned to have Lara around during delivery, but we had done a
certain amount of ``prep'' work with her, just to satisfy her curiosity about
the pregnancy. Fortunately, when time came for Lara to leave with a friend,
she absolutely refused, then broke into tears when I tried to force the issue.
So, after a brief conference with my wife and the attending midwives (yes,
we were having a home birth; flamers take note), I made Lara a peanut-butter
sandwich, and she stayed through the entire delivery. She was actually pretty
helpful--she took over the job of stroking her mother's head, applying cold
cloths, etc. As I rememember, Lara was as pleased as we were when John was
born.

I don't know if it's a good idea to have children present at births as a
general rule. I know that in our case, we were blessed with a pretty healthy,
intelligent, secure child, and a relatively calm birth with no complications.
I don't suspect children would benefit from the crisis atmosphere of a hospital
delivery, nor do I suspect that any child would do well in the presence of
hysterical parents.

I know that I value the experience of being a part of the births of my children
as the high points of my life to date. I'm glad that I was able to share this
experience with Lara, and I'm a little abashed that I took so seriously the
notion that she couldn't handle the experience _because_ she was a ``kid.''

Good topic.

Regards,

Joe Ahearn
{allegra, ihnp4, uiucds, ctvax}!convex!ahearn

yoddy@elsie.UUCP (yoddy schwartz) (08/10/85)

When my husband and I took childbirth classes before our
son was born we were told that in the event of a "C Section"
it was possible for the husband to remain with the wife
as long as she didn't have a general anesthetic.

I looked at my husband and said "Why would anyone want
to stay concious for major surgery?"
My second question was "Why would a husband want to watch
his wife have major surgery?"

I guess that shows my "alien" attitude towards childbirth.  I
can't imagine sitting around watching vidios after the fact.
Nor can I imagine wanting Chris (my son) around during the birth
of our next child.  I guess I never viewed the whole thing as
a spectator sport.  He might be able to handle it---he might
love it---but actually I'd worry about a kid that loved seeing
his mother go through labor.

                       yoddy

                       ...!decvax!allegra!umcp-cs!elsie!yoddy

todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) (08/13/85)

> We had not planned to have Lara around during delivery, but we had done a
> certain amount of ``prep'' work with her, just to satisfy her curiosity about
> the pregnancy. Fortunately, when time came for Lara to leave with a friend,
> she absolutely refused, then broke into tears when I tried to force the issue.
> So, after a brief conference with my wife and the attending midwives (yes,
> we were having a home birth; flamers take note), I made Lara a peanut-butter
> sandwich, and she stayed through the entire delivery. She was actually pretty
> helpful--she took over the job of stroking her mother's head, applying cold
> cloths, etc. As I rememember, Lara was as pleased as we were when John was
> born.

> Joe Ahearn
> {allegra, ihnp4, uiucds, ctvax}!convex!ahearn

This scenario seems like a much healthier way to include a sibling
at the delivery of a baby than the others mentioned.
This way the sibling can retreat to his/her room if things get
hairy. This has got to be healthier than instigating some
organically inspired parental notion that sibling presence
at delivery will enhance the sibling/baby relationship.

For what it's worth, I approve.

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | ~ |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (08/14/85)

> When my husband and I took childbirth classes before our
> son was born we were told that in the event of a "C Section"
> it was possible for the husband to remain with the wife
> as long as she didn't have a general anesthetic.

> I looked at my husband and said "Why would anyone want
> to stay concious for major surgery?"
> My second question was "Why would a husband want to watch
> his wife have major surgery?"

I'll answer your first question: "Why? Because it's safer." Under
general anesthesia you will be the closest you will ever be to dead,
short of the real thing. (This is a layperson's way of putting it, but
talk to an anesthesiologist or post to net.med.) Furthermore,
complications can arise after general anesthesia that won't arise under
local. (Again, talk to an anesthesiologist or post to net.med.) I had
abdominal surgery performed under a local anesthetic. No pain, and
(thankfully) no complications. After discussing the various options for
anesthesia available to me before the operation with my
anesthesiologist, I do not believe I would ever *elect* general
anesthesia over local (of course, in some situations the patient has no
choice.) I was told that in my case, the potential complications from
undergoing general anesthesia were greater than the potential
complications from the operation itself.

itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (08/16/85)

In article <5203@elsie.UUCP> yoddy@elsie.UUCP (yoddy schwartz) writes:
>I looked at my husband and said "Why would anyone want
>to stay concious for major surgery?"
>My second question was "Why would a husband want to watch
>his wife have major surgery?"

You only have that child once.  If your (anyone's) partner wants to be
present and participate, they have to make the decision as to whether or
not a Caesarian precludes that parcipation.  I know MANY fathers who
were present.  The focus is not on the surgery, but on the emergence of
the child.

>I guess that shows my "alien" attitude towards childbirth.  I
>can't imagine sitting around watching vidios after the fact.
>Nor can I imagine wanting Chris (my son) around during the birth
>of our next child.  I guess I never viewed the whole thing as
>a spectator sport.  He might be able to handle it---he might
>love it---but actually I'd worry about a kid that loved seeing
>his mother go through labor.

If you view it this way, so will/would he.  It's your attitude he would
reflect.  Our children were taught to view the event as a miraculous,
warm, sharing opportunity.  My wife said, after the birth of the first,
that once into labor she didn't care who or what was watching.  As long
as she got the baby out in one piece and could stop pushing and throwing
up.  While the other two were much easier, she/we wouldn't be without
the pictures and videos.  I guess it all depends on how you feel about
the birth experience.  If you consider it something unpleasant, to be
gotten over with with the minimum of fuss and attention, then obviously
you wouldn't want pictures and so on.  We don't.  It's wonderful,
exciting, uplifting.  If people like to watch movies over and over again
and read books repeatedly, why not this?

Sarah Melinda, Steven Matthew, and Samantha Megan's father.
--
***

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (08/19/85)

> > When my husband and I took childbirth classes before our
> > son was born we were told that in the event of a "C Section"
> > it was possible for the husband to remain with the wife
> > as long as she didn't have a general anesthetic.
>
> > I looked at my husband and said "Why would anyone want
> > to stay concious for major surgery?"
> > My second question was "Why would a husband want to watch
> > his wife have major surgery?"
>
> I'll answer your first question: "Why? Because it's safer." Under
> general anesthesia you will be the closest you will ever be to dead,
> short of the real thing. (This is a layperson's way of putting it, but
> talk to an anesthesiologist or post to net.med.) Furthermore,
> complications can arise after general anesthesia that won't arise under
> local. (Again, talk to an anesthesiologist or post to net.med.) I had
> abdominal surgery performed under a local anesthetic. No pain, and
> (thankfully) no complications. After discussing the various options for
> anesthesia available to me before the operation with my
> anesthesiologist, I do not believe I would ever *elect* general
> anesthesia over local (of course, in some situations the patient has no
> choice.) I was told that in my case, the potential complications from
> undergoing general anesthesia were greater than the potential
> complications from the operation itself.

There's another reason which concerns the child.  Some kinds of local
anesthesia (I had an "endural block" (I think)) do not affect the baby whereas
general anesthesia does.  It's much better for your child this way.

As to the second question, it's not so much that your husband does/doesn't
want to see you have major surgery, It's that he may want to see his child
right away and (depending on the hospital) hold him/her much sooner than would
be possible otherwise.

When I had my daughter through a planned (not emergency) C Section, my labor
couch was by my side narrating what was happening, my mother was in the
observation deck watching her first grandchild come into the world, and I got
to hear my child's first cries.  Next to "natural" childbirth, it was the best
possible way.  I also got to nurse her within an hour of the time she was born
which I don't think would have been possible otherwise.  It sure was worth it
to me!
--
Sarah E. Dugan
"Easy Does It, But *DO* It"

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #