[net.kids] Hunger Strike...

himeda@dataio.UUCP (Mark Himeda) (08/13/85)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone give us some advice based on real-life experiences with
a child that refuses formula?  We have a four month old beautiful
baby girl.  My wife has been breast feeding since birth and now that
its time for her to go back to work we're trying to wean her to
formula.  We have tried the following methods:

    o   ALL brands of doctor recommended formula.
    o   Two types of nipples: Platex nurser and nuk orthodontic.
    o   Feeding with a cup: paper and other.
    o   Adding Karo syrup to sweeten a little.

All has failed.  We have tried to be persistent for about twenty
minutes at each bottle feeding (my wife still breast feeds the last
feeding in the day) despite the kicking, rearing back, and LOUD
crying.  This is becomming a very stressful situation for both
parents and child.  It's extremely difficult to see your ordinarily
cheerful child in so much sadness (and hunger).  We have talked to
several parents and nurses, but no one seems to have had an experience
with this severe a problem.  Any suggestions or advice are welcome.
We will ALL be grateful.  Please send mail to me as I don't seem to have
much time to read the netnews lately.

                                              Thanks,

--
UUCP                                        ~ ALOHA ~
uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!himeda             M. Himeda

djg@busch.UUCP (Joe Guilliams) (08/14/85)

In article <768@dataio.UUCP>, himeda@dataio.UUCP (Mark Himeda) writes:
> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Can anyone give us some advice based on real-life experiences with
> a child that refuses formula?

We did not breast feed our daughter but did run into a similar problem
when we switched her from formula to regular milk (about 9 mos - 1 yr).
The milk tasted so much more bitter than the formula that she refused
to take it.  Our solution ?  We mixed the two gradually.  At first we
put in about 1/8 bottle 2% milk and 7/8 bottle formula.  Within about
3 weeks we had her on just milk.  Again, I'm not familiar with breast
feeding but if you could mix mom's milk with formula a little at a time
it might do the trick.  This assumes the bottle nipple would not be a
problem.

--
	Joe Guilliams
	..!ihnp4!we53!busch!djg

jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) (08/14/85)

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Can anyone give us some advice based on real-life experiences with
> a child that refuses formula?

I had a similar problem with our second child.  (Our first didn't have
to face the bottle).  The solution to my problem was not in the formula
or the nipple (although he did prefer one type nipple over the others)
but rather in the way I held him during feedings.  It turned out that
my wife held him a certain way during breast feeding and Eric had grown
accustomed to it.  I started holding him that way and he started to eat.
But again we would have problems half way through the feeding.  He wanted
to switch sides!  He was never entirely happy with the bottle but at least
he would eat if I mimic'ed Mom.  Our third is now 7 months old and I've
had no problems with her.  We started giving her a bottle on occasion
a LOT earlier.

One other thing that may help.  Try freezing breast milk (if she's going
to continue nursing when she can) instead of using formula.  My wife
works half time (5 days out of 2 weeks) and pumps when she's at work.
Any excess or pumped milk is saved for when I feed the baby.  This worked
fine until Erin was about 5 months old, then demand exceeded supply so
now she gets formula also (but she doesn't seem to mind).

                                         Jeff McQuinn just VAXing around

plw@drutx.UUCP (KerrPL) (08/14/85)

Goat's milk is to be the closes to human mother's milk. I enjoy goat's
milk but can't stomach raw cow's milk. Many babies who can't tolerate
formulas have been able to drink it.

		Patti Kerr
		ihnp4!drutx!plw

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (08/19/85)

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Can anyone give us some advice based on real-life experiences with
> a child that refuses formula?  We have a four month old beautiful
> baby girl.  My wife has been breast feeding since birth and now that
> its time for her to go back to work we're trying to wean her to
> formula.  We have tried the following methods:
>
>     o   ALL brands of doctor recommended formula.
>     o   Two types of nipples: Platex nurser and nuk orthodontic.
>     o   Feeding with a cup: paper and other.
>     o   Adding Karo syrup to sweeten a little.
>
> All has failed.  We have tried to be persistent for about twenty
> minutes at each bottle feeding (my wife still breast feeds the last
> feeding in the day) despite the kicking, rearing back, and LOUD
> crying.

Our first (who his now 3.75 years), refused to take formula from a bottle
at ~3 months when we where attempting to prepare him for my wife going
back to work.  Here are three things that we tried, the combination of which
worked for us.

    *	Begin by mixing formula with expressed breast milk, first a small
	amount of formula, gradually increasing the amount over a period
	of several days.  (Someone else had previously suggested this in
	response to your request.)
    *	The first few times, have Daddy give the bottle, and have mommy be
	completely out of the house.  For example, have Mommy go shopping
	for a couple of hours, and try the feeding in the middle of that
	period.  Philip seemed to be able to sense when Mommy was around.
    *	The first few times I tried this (successfully), I put Philip on
	his back on the floor and fed him the bottle sitting/kneeling
	next to him.  I don't know why he was more receptive this way, but
	it sure made a difference at first.  I'm not even sure why I tried
	it.

After a few days, Philip got used to the idea of formula from a bottle in
Daddy's arms, even if Mommy was around.

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.
		Beaverton, Oregon

jtb@kitc.UUCP (John Burgess) (08/22/85)

(original article left out by mistake ... topic was
 a baby who would NOT accept formula, circa four months ...)

We had similar, but not so severe problems only a few
short months ago.

Suggestion 1: do NOT let your wife give her (or was it him?)
	the bottle; she'll smell the (natural) milk.

Suggestion 2: our baby was fussy about temperature - just
	like the 3 bears (sorry, I can't help it), some are too hot,
	some are too cold, others are just right!

Suggestion 3: start BEFORE she gets too hungry;  its almost hopeless
	after she start the incessant screaming - both because
	she is then determined, and because you'll lose your cool!

Good luck.

... now if only I can get MY baby to eat real food ...
Ask me again in a few months!
--
John Burgess
ATT-IS Labs, So. Plainfield NJ  (HP 1C-221)