[net.kids] Cloth diapers - side issue

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (08/19/85)

I have  an  idiosyncratic  reason  to  advocate  non-disposable  cloth
diapers.   It's irritating to go to the beach and find myself swimming
past a disposable, or find one in my front yard, delivered airmail  by
a passing car.

For the same reason, I think soft drinks (and beers, why not?)  should
come  in  SOLID  glass jars, and carry a 25 cent deposit.  But I stray.
--

Oded Feingold     MIT AI Lab.   545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139
OAF%OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA   {harvard, ihnp4!mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf   617-253-8598

alan@sun.uucp (Alan Marr, Sun Graphics) (08/21/85)

In article <665@mit-vax.UUCP> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes:
>I have  an  idiosyncratic  reason  to  advocate  non-disposable  cloth
>diapers.   It's irritating to go to the beach and find myself swimming
>past a disposable, or find one in my front yard, delivered airmail  by
>a passing car.
>
>For the same reason, I think soft drinks (and beers, why not?)  should
>come  in  SOLID  glass jars, and carry a 25 cent deposit.  But I stray.
>--
>
>Oded Feingold     MIT AI Lab.   545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139
>OAF%OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA   {harvard, ihnp4!mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf   617-253-8598

Couldn't have said it better myself.

---
{ucbvax,decwrl}!sun!{amarr}

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is."  Noel Coward

jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) (08/22/85)

> I have  an  idiosyncratic  reason  to  advocate  non-disposable  cloth
> diapers.   It's irritating to go to the beach and find myself swimming
> past a disposable, or find one in my front yard, delivered airmail  by
> a passing car.
>
> For the same reason, I think soft drinks (and beers, why not?)  should
> come  in  SOLID  glass jars, and carry a 25 cent deposit.  But I stray.
> --

I agree but your attacking symptoms, not the problem.  Most states have
anti-littering laws.  Has anyone ever seen somebody get ticketed for
littering?  I get so angry when I find my yard littered with beer cans
on Saturday morning.  I mean really, the litterer is obviously drinking
in the car and probably under 18 to boot!  If it's not beer cans then
it's the 5 lbs of paper supplied with each Big Mac (although for some
reason I find the trash from White Castle far more disgusting then
from anywhere else).

					Jeff McQuinn just VAXing around

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (08/26/85)

> > It's irritating to go to the beach and find myself swimming
> > past a disposable, or find one in my front yard, delivered airmail  by
> > a passing car.

> I agree but your attacking symptoms, not the problem.  Most states have
> anti-littering laws.

Aside from littering, disposable diapers are becoming a non-trivial
ecological problem.  According to our local paper, one sixth of
residential garbage (by volume) is disposable diapers.  There is talk
about putting a surcharge on disposable diapers in Oregon.  I'm not sure
I understand the logic of this, as we already pay to have our garbage
picked up.  If using disposable dipes causes us to need two cans instead
of one, our garbage bill will increase.

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.