[net.kids] switching lefties, and nearsightedness

lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) (08/23/85)

Draconian teachers switching left-handed kids is not as long-gone as you might
think - I had a real beast in first grade (about 1969) who was sure I was the
spawn of the devil and kept telling my mother to pray for me.  Needless to
say, we left THAT school in a hurry.  I'm mildly dyslexic anyway, so I can't
imagine what switching would have done for me, but my grandfather was switched
and routinely wrote/read words backwards all his life (was <=> saw etc).

The thing with twins having opposite hand dominance is quite common; so are
hair whorls in opposite directions, mirror image birthmarks and fingerprints,
and the like.

Why are people so uptight about this?  It really isn't much of a handicap.
Eating isn't nearly as much of a problem as you'd think; just be polite and
don't stick your elbows out.

The biggest problem I've ever had is "army" style can openers, and no-one to
teach me sports.  I think this is why lefties get a reputation for being
klutzy - frequently there just isn't anyone to teach them to do it
left-handed.  For example, I was AWFUL at tennis for years because people kept
trying to teach my to play right handed.  I finally had a lefty camp counselor
and discovered I was quite good at it!  The thing someone posted about righty
parents teaching their kids things using a mirro was helpful; even easier is
just to face them - I learned to tie my shoes this way.

Along the sports line, another pet bone to pick with teachers: DON'T make the
kid take off his/her glasses.  If they WANT to wear them for gym, chances are
it's because they need to.  I've worn lenses since I was 4, and literally
can't see my hand in front of my face - objects come into sharp focus at about
4 inches.  Especially with younger children, gym teachers  tend to force kids
to take off their glasses so they won't break them.  Great - instead the kid
gets a broken nose from a baseball coming out of hyperspace 8 inches in front
of him.  If your glasses-wearing child HATES gym/sports, find out if someone's
making her/him take them off; often even insensitive teachers will respond to
pressure from parents on this.  Also, if your non-glasses wearing child has
trouble with sports and/or a significant drop in school, attention level, etc,
try having her eyes checked.  Many a "slow learner" is discovered to be
nearsighted years too late.  You can monitor this yourself even with very
young children; when riding in the car, get them to "read" signs (many of
which don't use words these days), point out people and things at a distance
etc.  If the child says "what tree", take her to the eye doctor!

Liz Vaughan
...tektronix!tektools!lizv

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (08/27/85)

In article <379@tektools.UUCP> lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) writes:
> For example, I was AWFUL at tennis for years because people kept
>trying to teach my to play right handed.  I finally had a lefty camp counselor
>and discovered I was quite good at it!

I discovered this spring that teaching knots to scouts requires knowledge
of left and right handed techniques. Luckily we had a left-handed adult
volunteer to teach the 10% we were not prepared for.

--

           PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (08/27/85)

> Why are people so uptight about this?  It really isn't much of a handicap.
> Eating isn't nearly as much of a problem as you'd think; just be polite and
> don't stick your elbows out.

My mother is left handed. We solved the problem of clashing
elbows by carefully arranging the seating pattern. At rectangular
tables she always sits at the left end of a side or at the end
of the table. Round tables don't seem to pose a problem. Even
when 6 people are sitting at a table designed for 4.

> Along the sports line, another pet bone to pick with teachers: DON'T make the
> kid take off his/her glasses.  If they WANT to wear them for gym, chances are

Get a safety strap for the glasses so they don't fall off
during active play. Also, be sure the child has hardened plastic
lenses, not glass. This makes it much harder for the glasses
to break, and if they do, minimizes any injury. Wearing
glasses in this manner is MUCH safer than not, even
disregarding the fact that now the child can see well. Why do
you think eye doctors recommend eye protection for sports such
as handball and racketball?
--
Suzanne Barnett

uucp:	 ...{decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp, 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260