[net.kids] bed wetting

cim1@pyuxv.UUCP (G. Bogatko) (08/21/85)

My daughter has outgrown diapers, and is now into "big-girl panties".  She
was sleeping with these for a good while (about 2 months), and sometimes
sleeps naked as well.  Now, in the past few days, she has started wetting
the bed.  She asks for help going to the toilet, which we provide whenever
she asks.  She still wets the bed none-the-less.

I realize that all kids go through this. Billy went through it.  What we did
then was tell him as kindly as possible that that was a bad thing to do.
This didn't work.  After a few nights of changing sheets, daddy turned into
a raging beast with threats of going back to diapers, and just a lot of
commotion.  This worked.

Is there some middle of the road method to get it across to kids that
bed-wetting is not a fun thing to do?  Something somewhere in-between kindly
talk (it's not NICE to wet your bed) and godzilla (&$*#(*$ bed I'll &&$*#&).

Thanks in advance.

rdm2@nvuxr.UUCP (R McBurnett) (08/22/85)

>From: cim1@pyuxv.UUCP (G. Bogatko)
>My daughter has outgrown diapers, and is now into "big-girl panties"...
>...  She asks for help going to the toilet, which we provide whenever
>she asks.  She still wets the bed none-the-less.
>...  After a few nights of changing sheets, daddy turned into
>a raging beast with threats of going back to diapers, and just a lot of
>commotion.  This worked.
>Is there some middle of the road method to get it across to kids that
>bed-wetting is not a fun thing to do?

Being a Daddy who tried the "raging beast" routine (with absolutly no success)
I found that what worked best for me was:
	a)pointing out that waking up in the middle of the night was lousy
	  for everyone
	b)noting that Stephen's favorite pajamas got wet everytime he peed in
	  them and
	c)encouraging him to "try" to pee before going to bed. (this lessened
	  the frequency of wet beds but did not eliminate them. He almost
	  always could pee.)
We found that reinforcing the "wake up ...go to the bathroom and pee" idea
just before bed also helped.

It is no good to try to reason with a sleepy child, especially when you are
angry about changing a bed.

One other thing we tried (my mom's idea) was to tell a story (a-la "No More
Diapers" by J. Brooks) that described *everyones* feelings before, during,
and after.  This had a limited effect but may have worked.

Stephen is now 4 and I only have to change his sheets ~1 or 2 times a week.

-Roe

smith@ccvaxa.UUCP (08/24/85)

We put our daughters potty chair in her room next to her bed as her own
private bathroom.  We did this because we finally figured out she was
afraid to come out of her room because of the puppy (part horse) we had
resently got at the animal shelter.  It seems our "little" puppy  got
excited when it saw her at night and would jump on her.  For when you
are half asleep and little, a "little" puppy that's the same size you
are can scare the you know what out of you!  This solved our problem.

		Nancy J. Smith

djw@lanl.ARPA (08/27/85)

We purchased the Sear's bed wetting gadget for one of our four children.
It worked so well we used it with the last child also and sent it to my
brother to use with his daughter who had wet her bed for > five years.  It
took less than two weeks to stop her.  The gadget is an aluminized cloth
with holes through it and two leads to a battery=>light=>buzzer in series.

When the child pees, it completes the circuit and the light lights and
the buzzer sounds which wakes daddy and I go and take Sara or Matt to
the potty.  No recriminations, just time to pee.  The spots get rapidly
smaller as the child wakes sooner and the deed is soon done.

The thing cost about $45.00 and was so fast that it was worth 5-10
times that.

**NOTE**  If it doesn't work quickly, fix what's wrong.  This is the
only method I have ever heard of that will positively tell you if there
is a physical problem without x-rays of the child's genitalia.  If the
child is emotionally responding to other trauma, the additional
positive attention will help fix that as well.

Love your child, Don't panic.

Dave Wade

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (08/27/85)

>My daughter has outgrown diapers, and is now into "big-girl panties"...

Fret not, she will probably outgrow bed wetting.  Our pediatrician
told us that sometimes girls do not have full bladder control in
their sleep until the age of five or six.  Our daughter, Julia,
stopped wetting her bed before she started Kindergarten (just
barely).
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/30/85)

After it seemed that my son *finally* could control himself -- went for a
week or so without wetting the bed -- he'd start having accidents again.
Nightly.  Since 1) he now really balked at the ideas of going back to
diapers and 2) we really hated changing his sheets nightly, I hit on a
reward idea.  I made a chart -- just a big grid -- and bought some small
shiny stick-on stars and some of those puffy stickers (HeMan I think) and
explained that he got 1 star for every dry night, one sticker for a row of
stars, and a special toy for completing a star.

It worked wonderfully.  Oh, he';s had accidents since then, but any kid
will.  We have 4 charts or so on the refrigerator side...  By the way. we
decided against any black stars or "Mr.  Yuck" or anything for "wet"
nights.

Fred

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (08/31/85)

> took less than two weeks to stop her.  The gadget is an aluminized cloth
> with holes through it and two leads to a battery=>light=>buzzer in series.
>
> When the child pees, it completes the circuit and the light lights and

Sounds OK but is the sheet , or whatever it is, washable. If not, after
about three incidents in the summertime heat....PPPPPPPPUUUUUUU.:wq