[net.kids] Cleaning up after "artistic" kids

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/21/85)

We've just moved into a new house, and our little boy, who is
going on two, decided to write on the walls in pencil.  How
do you get pencil marks off painted walls?  I tried erasing
them, which did soften the effect, and scrubbing them with
a solution of Spic-and-Span in water.  Any other ideas, please?

Thanks!

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (08/23/85)

> We've just moved into a new house, and our little boy, who is
> going on two, decided to write on the walls in pencil.  How
> do you get pencil marks off painted walls?  I tried erasing
> them, which did soften the effect, and scrubbing them with
> a solution of Spic-and-Span in water.  Any other ideas, please?
>
> Thanks!

Believe it or not, I found that any of the numerous brands of "baby wipes"
seem to work very well on pen and crayons.  I haven't tried them on pencil.  A
little bit of elbow grease helps, too.

--

Sarah E. Dugan
"Thank God It's Friday."

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (08/26/85)

In article <204@cylixd.UUCP> charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) writes:

>We've just moved into a new house, and our little boy, who is
>going on two, decided to write on the walls in pencil.  How
>do you get pencil marks off painted walls?  I tried ....

This brings back a memory of when I was a pre-schooler,
and my sister was in the first grade.  We discovered that
scraping the point of a house-key against the wall would
produce a pencil-like mark.

I scribbled a few spirals (that was all I knew how to draw),
and my sister printed our names.  Later, when my parents saw it,
my father asked, "Did you write in pencil on that wall?"
I was to scared to answer, but my sister calmly replied, "No."
She stuck by her denial, despite my father's increasing frustration
and anger.

Twelve years later, my father mentioned this episode over dinner.
He remembers his bewilderment and disappointment that his daughter
had looked him in the eye and repeatedly delivered an obvious lie.
He had always known she was intelligent; even at age six she must
have been aware that no one else in the house could have been suspected.

My sister replied, "I told the truth.  I didn't write in pencil on
the wall.  I used a key."  My sister is now a lawyer.  It figures.

	Frank Silbermann

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (08/27/85)

In article <204@cylixd.UUCP> charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) writes:

>We've just moved into a new house, and our little boy, who is
>going on two, decided to write on the walls in pencil.  How
>do you get pencil marks off painted walls?  I tried ....

We had the same problem. Our now-four-year-old produced some his
best work on moldings, walls and doors. We discourage the activity
and try to maintain an ample supply of paper, but it's clear there
is something compelling about the relative permanence of artwork
on walls.

Our solution: Try and scrub off the mess. What can't be cleaned off
will wait until we repaint the room. Needless to say, our house
is reknowned for its "juvenile mural" design approach. Maybe we
will start a new trend in interior decoration. :-)

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | ~ |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) (08/29/85)

When we were kids, my father got some (masonite? fiberboard?  that brown
stuff you can break with your hands, like pegboard without the holes) and
some green "chalkboard" paint.  He covered the doors to our rooms, inside
and out, with these chalkboards, and put little trays along the bottoms for
chalk and erasers.  A box of giant "sidewalk" chalk in all colors completed
the setup.  We all enjoy these graffiti-boards to this day.

I never felt an urge to draw on the walls, and the only evidence of anyone
else doing so is the "I hate naps" that is still engraved in the wallpaper
next to where my sister's bed was.

An additional plus was that when you got mad, stomped into your room and
slammed the door, you got the satisfaction of hearing the chalk fly out of
the tray on the outside of the door and go bippity-bip across the room.
Madness could be measured by distance of chalk travel.

:rsig
rsig: Not an editor command
:r.sig
Cheers,
Topher Eliot                Cyb Systems, Austin, TX               (512) 458-3224
         {gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher

(Q:"How did it go?"  A:"Bippity-bip")

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (08/31/85)

> In article <204@cylixd.UUCP> charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) writes:
> >
> >We've just moved into a new house, and our little boy, who is
> >going on two, decided to write on the walls in pencil.  How
> >do you get pencil marks off painted walls?  I tried ....

I,ve been reading this group all afternoon and commenting on articles
more than usual but this group is one of the better ones and very
relavant (sp) to me, I got three all under 5 and no twins.

Now about writing on the walls. The way I took care of this problem
was after Daniel- at the time of the crime: age 1.75- finished writing
I gave him a sponge that had a scrubber back and a spray bottle of
409. I showed him how to clean and had him do it. I, of course, stood
by so he wouldn't spray his sister and he cleaned the entire wall.

It took a long time. Time that I did not have but that was the last time
he ever did it. After he went to bed I had to go back and really
clean it up good but still, problem all gone.

				    Bob Nebert
				    sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (09/05/85)

we've discovered an almost unending supply of nice artsie-craftsie poster
like paper.  a friend who works in the X-ray dept of a hospital brings us
all the poster paper-like film separators that would otherwise be thrown
away.  our kids love it.
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ