[net.kids] Precocious Brand Loyalty

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (08/28/85)

WHAT'S A FATHER TO DO????????????????????????

I have tried to co-raise my son to be sensible and prudent.
I have tried to teach him that the value of something may
not be coincident with a price tag, or may not even be
monetary.

So why is he exhibiting staunch brand loyalties at age 4?
He insists on "Wrangler" brand jeans, because "Dad, you
can do adventure in them." I've tried reasoning with him,
but he admits that even if I could prove that adventure
is, in fact, possible in generic clothing, he would prefer
the "Wrangler" brand.

I didn't shop at thrift shops during my youth and adolesence
(even now on occaision) just to raise a budding Yuppie!
Is it peer influence? Is heit succombing to Madison Avenue
hype? Is it only a matter of time before he tells me to
get my hair cut and buy a BMW? What if all this leads to
him becoming...>GASP< a Republican?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

HELP! Where have I erred as a parent? Has anyone out there
successfully weaned their kids from the brands the other
kids wear? If so, was said kid ostracized by said peers?
I need ammunition fast, the battlelines are drawn. Do I
have a chance?

If he asks for Calvin Klein or Jordache designer clothes,
I'm committing suicide!!!

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | ~ |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

debbiem@rruxe.UUCP (D. McBurnett) (08/29/85)

>So why is he exhibiting staunch brand loyalties at age 4?
>Is it peer influence? Is heit succombing to Madison Avenue
>hype? Is it only a matter of time before he tells me to
>get my hair cut and buy a BMW? What if all this leads to
>him becoming...>GASP< a Republican?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

>HELP! Where have I erred as a parent?

Most children exhibit brand loyalties;  I'm surprised that your
son hasn't sooner than this.  It is partly peer influence (not
necessarily regarding the particular brand or item, just the concept
of brand loyalty is reinforced by peers.  Yes it is a lot of madison
avenue hype.  Yes he will probably tell you eventually to cut your
hair (but he will probably suggest you get HIM the BMW).  No odds on
whether he'll become a Republican.

You miss the point, though, I think.  Brand loyalty is a fine thing
-- when you are spending your own money.  If I am the one spending
the money, I will buy what I determine to be a good value.  If the
Wranglers are priced competitively, I see no harm in buying them for
the child.  If they are not, he's out of luck and it's just too bad.
Your job as a parent is to determine what is the best use of your
income.   A family is not a democracy.  My kids don't get a vote.
They can express their feelings and I take those feelings into
account.  I try to avoid being arbitrary, but when we hit my bottom
line, that's it.

Ome solution we employ to resolve this problem is to tell our kids
that if they want something like this that doesn't fit our normal
spending criteria, they can specify it on their Christmas and
birthday lists.  If the really want it, they'll agree to this, and
be happy with the gift if they get it.

Debbie McBurnett
rruxe!debbiem

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (08/29/85)

In article <281@rruxe.UUCP> debbiem@rruxe.UUCP (D. McBurnett) writes:
>>So why is he exhibiting staunch brand loyalties at age 4?
>
>Most children exhibit brand loyalties;

I agree.  I remember when I was a kid, oh, about 5 or 6 years old,
growing up in Malawi far from a town, let alone a city (and remember
this was "dark Africa"), my (black) bosom buddy Baba and I did not
believe that there was a better car in the world than a Chev, nor
a worst car than a Ford.  (My parents had neither, his did not even
have a car).  Now I probably told Baba what I thought about a Chev
and a Ford, but where did I get it?  I was not in school yet and
we've been living out in the "bundus" (wilds) ever since I was born!
And why a Chev?  I am not an American (or Canadian) and Malawi
(Nyassaland) was a Brittish Protectorate at the time, so it should
have been a Land Rover!

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (08/29/85)

In article <365@scirtp.UUCP> todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:

>WHAT'S A FATHER TO DO????????????????????????
>
>So why is he exhibiting staunch brand loyalties at age 4?
>He insists on "Wrangler" brand jeans, because "Dad, you
>can do adventure in them." I've tried reasoning with him,

We have a similar, but different (surprising, eh), "problem" at our
house.  Our 4 1/2 year old daughter insists that little girls wear
dresses.  This is despite a *very* concerted effort on her parents
part not to do any sexual conditioning  (we read several 'How to Raise
your child in a non-sexist enviroment' books and tried to follow their
advice).  This is not a big problem, we rarely make any mention of it
to her - except when wearing pants is truly preferrable, thank goodness
she feels any type of shorts are acceptable |-).

Katie also plays a lot with "female paraphanelia" (purses, combs & mirrors)
and loves to play dress-up.  We are quite surprised by all of this, and are
wondering why.  Of course we want a nice concise explanation |-).  I think
that one major factor is that Katie's mom and I are no longer married, and
this is one of her compensatory behaviours.

Any thoughts?

Peter B

charliem@shark.UUCP (Charlie Mills) (08/30/85)

In article <365@scirtp.UUCP> todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:
>WHAT'S A FATHER TO DO????????????????????????
>
>I have tried to co-raise my son to be sensible and prudent.
>I have tried to teach him that the value of something may
>not be coincident with a price tag, or may not even be
>monetary.
>
>So why is he exhibiting staunch brand loyalties at age 4?
>He insists on "Wrangler" brand jeans, because "Dad, you
>can do adventure in them." ...

We have had a similar experience with our 5-year-old daughter.  Not so
much concerning brands, but taste in clothes in general.  Both parents
are stanch ex-beatniks, not to say slobs.  For at least the last two
years, the child will wear nothing but patent leather shoes, frilly
dresses, shirts with puffy sleeves, ribbons, bows, etc.  Pink is her
favorite color.  She won't touch the fine overalls, sweat suits,
running shoes, etc., that we provide.  Now we don't have a TV, and most
of our/her friends are poor hippies like us.  Where did she find out
about this stuff?  I have been forced to the conclusion that she simply
has her own taste.  And, after thinking about it, I realized that's
wonderful, I don't have to worry about warping her to my own wierdness,
or trying to teach her to think for herself.

	-- Charlie Mills
UUCP: ..{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!shark!charliem
CSNET:	shark!charliem@tektronix
ARPA:	shark!charliem.tektronix@rand-relay
USMail: M/S 61-277
	Tektronix, Inc.
	P.O. Box 1000
	Wilsonville, OR 97070

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (08/30/85)

> WHAT'S A FATHER TO DO????????????????????????
> So why is he exhibiting staunch brand loyalties at age 4?
> He insists on "Wrangler" brand jeans, because "Dad, you
> can do adventure in them." I've tried reasoning with him,
> but he admits that even if I could prove that adventure
> is, in fact, possible in generic clothing, he would prefer
> the "Wrangler" brand.
> Is it peer influence? Is heit succombing to Madison Avenue
> hype? Is it only a matter of time before he tells me to
> get my hair cut and buy a BMW? What if all this leads to
> him becoming...>GASP< a Republican?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>
> HELP! Where have I erred as a parent? Has anyone out there
> successfully weaned their kids from the brands the other
> kids wear? If so, was said kid ostracized by said peers?
> I need ammunition fast, the battlelines are drawn. Do I
> have a chance?

I think your child is watching too much TV (esp. advertising).
Mike Clifford

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (08/30/85)

> WHAT'S A FATHER TO DO????????????????????????
>
> (story about Todd's kid (age 4) insisting on brand-name clothes)
> (also fears about said kid becomming a (GASP) YUPPIE!!!)

I wonder how much your kid watches TV.  How else does he get exposed to the
"Madison Avenue Hype"?  My daughter has yet to pull that kind of stuff on me.
She almost never sees comercial TV.  The only things she's picked up on are
Care Bears and (YUCK) Cabbage Patch Dolls.  Some of the kids at school (Day
Care) have them.  My daughter, Anne, age 3 1/2 hasn't actually asked to have
any of these, but she just points them out when we're in a store:  "Look,
Mummy, there's a Care Bear!"

I'm not sure whether it's just that she's not getting much peer pressure at
her Day Care, or because she just doesn't get exposed to the stupid
comercials.  Either way, I count my blessings!  I know, however, that it's
bound to come up sooner or later.

Good luck!

--

Sarah E. Dugan
"Thank God It's Friday."

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (08/31/85)

Scott's 4-year old demands Wrangler's and he's worried about
Calvin Klein's and Jordache.  My solution, when my daughters
became teen-agers, was to give them an allowance and let them
buy what they want.  This worked and ended what seemed to be
the beginning of a lot of acrimony.  The allowance was
extended to shoes after a tussle over high heels.  Four years
old may be too young to let your son decide what to wear, but:

	1. as long as the kids are warm and dry and decent,

	2. it's their body to display.

	3. you, of course, retain the right to decide how much money you
	are willing to lay out, but not on a purchase-by-purchase
	basis.

It may not work for you, but it did for us.
--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (08/31/85)

> You miss the point, though, I think.  Brand loyalty is a fine thing
> -- when you are spending your own money.  If I am the one spending
> the money, I will buy what I determine to be a good value.  If the

Basically I agree

> Wranglers are priced competitively, I see no harm in buying them for
> the child.  If they are not, he's out of luck and it's just too bad.
> Your job as a parent is to determine what is the best use of your income.

It is not your only job. I consider my primary job is to prepare my
children for life after they leave home. If my child wanted Wranglers or
anything else for that matter and there wasn't enough money to cover the
difference, I would explain that I would pay the price of what I would
spend and If they wanted to cover the difference and give up something
else to do it, then it is their choice. They learn the value of money and
take care of it better.

> income.   A family is not a democracy.  My kids don't get a vote.
> They can express their feelings and I take those feelings into
> account.  I try to avoid being arbitrary, but when we hit my bottom
> line, that's it.
>
> Ome solution we employ to resolve this problem is to tell our kids
> that if they want something like this that doesn't fit our normal
> spending criteria, they can specify it on their Christmas and
> birthday lists.  If the really want it, they'll agree to this, and
> be happy with the gift if they get it.

Kind of takes the suprise out of the gift don't ya think?

>=Debbie McBurnett
 =Bob Nebert

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/03/85)

In article <365@scirtp.UUCP> todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:
>WHAT'S A FATHER TO DO????????????????????????
>
>I have tried to co-raise my son to be sensible and prudent.
>I have tried to teach him that the value of something may
>not be coincident with a price tag, or may not even be
>monetary.

Good for you!  It's a losing battle in the 80's, though (as I'm sure you're
finding out)...

>So why is he exhibiting staunch brand loyalties at age 4?
>He insists on "Wrangler" brand jeans, because "Dad, you
>can do adventure in them." I've tried reasoning with him,
>but he admits that even if I could prove that adventure
>is, in fact, possible in generic clothing, he would prefer
>the "Wrangler" brand.

(Disclaimer:  I don't have any kids, although I once was one.)

I don't think this is anything new.  I was pretty much the same way at that
age - only I was loyal to products kids obviously never use!  My parents
tell me that I'd raise hell in the supermarket if they bought any brand
of laundry detergent other than Tide!

>I didn't shop at thrift shops during my youth and adolesence
>(even now on occasion) just to raise a budding Yuppie!

Read _Ad Week_ to see what a goldmine kids like yours are, and how actively
they're being wooed!  "Yuppie Puppies" (gag) is the latest buzzword among the
Madison Avenue types, who seem to be taking a double-barreled approach to
hawking this crap:  Get the kids to want it, and get the parents to feel
guilty (or inadequate) unless they buy it.

>Is it peer influence?  Is he succumbing to Madison Avenue hype?

Probably the latter, although don't discount the former (especially with
fad items such as Michael Jackson or Cabbage Patch Kids).  The market
researchers would love to discover the secret of inciting the kind of
peer pressure that turns a moderately successful product into a true fad.

>Is it only a matter of time before he tells me to
>get my hair cut and buy a BMW?

This has nothing to do with your question, but I thought someone might find it
amusing:  Researchers a few years ago asked a Sunday school class to describe
the car that God drives.  Consensus:  God drives a white Ford Thunderbird with
CB radio, speakers on the rear deck, and vanity plates reading "GOD".
(_AutoWeek_, circa 1981).

>What if all this leads to him becoming...>GASP< a Republican?!?!?!?!?!?

Ronald Reagan is phenomenally popular among the pre-school and grade-school
set.  Maybe it's his grandfatherly image (I had a senile grandfather once), or
maybe they're confusing him with Ronald McDonald (tip: RMcD makes more sense.)

Speaking of Republicans... if they're as "pro-family" as they claim to be,
then why are they so vehemently opposed to the efforts of groups such as
Action for Children's Television to force advertisers to clean up their act?

>If he asks for Calvin Klein or Jordache designer clothes,
>I'm committing suicide!!!

Today (9/3)'s Boston Globe has an interesting editorial ("Born to shop") on
the above subject.  Excerpts:

"Life has gotten much more compilcated since the designers and the department
stores joined forces to raise the 'fashion IQ' - as the advertisers call it.
	.
	.
	.
It used to be that children started thinking about clothes at the onset of
adolescence.  Now, elementary school children, and even pre-schoolers, make
demands in store aisles and dressing rooms.  These pint-sized shoppers know
their brand names and their labels.

...the newfound blurring of generational fashion lines is a distasteful step
backward - and an expensive one at that."

(The above editorial neglected to state whether or not the Globe would attempt
to take the lead in ameliorating this deplorable situation by hereafter
refusing to accept such advertising.)  :-)

AWR

debbiem@rruxe.UUCP (D. McBurnett) (09/05/85)

>> Your job as a parent is to determine what is the best use of your income.

>It is not your only job. I consider my primary job is to prepare my
>children for life after they leave home. If my child wanted Wranglers or
>anything else for that matter and there wasn't enough money to cover the
>difference, I would explain that I would pay the price of what I would
>spend and If they wanted to cover the difference and give up something
>else to do it, then it is their choice. They learn the value of money and
>take care of it better.

Gracious, I certainly did not mean to imply that determining the
best use of your income was a parent's only job.  I also clothe my
children, feed them, etc. etc.  Your approach is an excellent one,
and one I have also used upon occasion, although my children are not
of ages where they have much in the way of discretionary income with
which to do this, and in my opinion it's inappropriate to allow a
young child the discretion to give up something he truly needs (like
a new pair of shoes to replace the ones with holes in them, so he
doesn't catch cold from wet feet) in order to "upgrade" an item.  I
was merely trying to emphasize who CONTROLS the FAMILY BUDGET.

>> Ome solution we employ to resolve this problem is to tell our kids
>> that if they want something like this that doesn't fit our normal
>> spending criteria, they can specify it on their Christmas and
>> birthday lists.  If the really want it, they'll agree to this, and
>> be happy with the gift if they get it.
>
>Kind of takes the suprise out of the gift don't ya think?

Not necessarily, since there's no guarantee that they will get it
just because it has been put on the list; but sometimes it's more
important to a child to get something he really likes than to be
surprised.  And a couple of pair of jeans don't comprise everything
that mom and dad would give junior for Christmas -- there would be
other gifts that WOULD be surprises, too.  My parents used this
approach with great success, and our children seem very happy with it.

Debbie McBurnett
rruxe!debbiem

plw@drutx.UUCP (KerrPL) (09/07/85)

I have been reading a couple of the replies before doing my own
reply. Some of these remind me of the differant changes that my
daughter has gone through.

At age 4 she disliked all jeans--"They are ugly--Why do you always
where jeans, Mom?". Her outfits where mostly dresses, slacks, and
shorts. Around age 6 cords were alright to wear. When she did begin
to wear jeans, they HAD to be Lee's. Nothing else would go on her
body. I have another preference for jeans, but she insisted on
Lee's. She did want the designer jeans later on, but at the time
our budget was real tight. Now, at age 13, the jeans of her choice
are 501's. Our budget is still watched (recently buying a new house,
drilling for a new well) and she watches for her 501's to go on sale.

Most kids do dress according to their peers. If this original boy
is only 4, it has a great change on getting worse.

The reply of explaining to children that expensive articles are
asked for as gifts or helping to chip in by thier allowance does work.

		Patti Kerr

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/09/85)

> >> One solution we employ to resolve this problem is to tell our kids
> >> that if they want something like this that doesn't fit our normal
> >> spending criteria, they can specify it on their Christmas and
> >> birthday lists.  If the really want it, they'll agree to this, and
> >> be happy with the gift if they get it.
> >
> >Kind of takes the suprise out of the gift don't ya think?
>
> Not necessarily, since there's no guarantee that they will get it
> just because it has been put on the list; but sometimes it's more
> important to a child to get something he really likes than to be
> surprised.  And a couple of pair of jeans don't comprise everything
> that mom and dad would give junior for Christmas -- there would be
> other gifts that WOULD be surprises, too.  My parents used this
> approach with great success, and our children seem very happy with it.
>
> Debbie McBurnett
> rruxe!debbiem

I tip my hat to you Debbie. After rereading my original response, your
answer makes great sense.

Bob Nebert
sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn

jp@faron.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) (09/17/85)

> Today (9/3)'s Boston Globe has an interesting editorial ("Born to shop") on
> the above subject.  Excerpts:
>
> "...It used to be that children started thinking about clothes at the onset
> of adolescence.  Now, elementary school children, and even pre-schoolers,
> make demands in store aisles and dressing rooms.  These pint-sized shoppers
> know their brand names and their labels.
>
> ...the newfound blurring of generational fashion lines is a distasteful step
> backward - and an expensive one at that."
>
> (The above editorial neglected to state whether or not the Globe would
>  attempt to take the lead in ameliorating this deplorable situation by
>  hereafter refusing to accept such advertising.)  :-)
>
> AWR

Observation:

  I have lived in a lot of different places (a variety of continents), yet
the best dressed people (ie kids <20) that I've seen are in E Boston (a
relatively poor area).  These kids look good and care about their personal
appearance.

  Offhand, that seems better than having kids walk around in crummy jeans
and ragged T-shirts (like me :-)).

  Of course, how they can afford such nice clothes is beyond me!

Jeff Picciotto

  ...!decvax!linus!faron!jp
  sdl@mit-oz.arpa
  id.jeff@mit-xx.arpa

Disclaimer:

  I'm going to be unemplyed so soon, my employer probably already scratched
  me off the list!!