[net.kids] corporal punishment

jay@cadre.UUCP (02/18/85)

In a recent discussion on corporal punishment in schools that I watched on
a local TV program, I was surprised to hear that more than 80% Americans
are of the view that corporal punishment should be continued in American
schools!  There was a lone psychologist waging a futile war, showing how
all that paddling can harm the child's personality, and instill unnecessary
fear and hatred towards others.
  I understand that, in countries like Sweden, it is a crime even to ridicule
a student in front of his/her peers, let alone hit him/her.  I frankly am
surprised that, in a country like America, so many people subscribe to such
ancient forms of "disciplining" their pupils.
  I am curious to know why such a state of affairs exists.  I would like to
hear from net folk: parents/would-be parents/concerned people.  I am
interested in hearing not just your views on this subject (which would be
very valuable), but also any clues you can offer for such a mental make-up
of the American populace.

Jay Ramanathan

jay@cadre.ARPA   Decision Systems Lab, Univ of Pittsburgh, PA

"They clamour for all those babies, and then beat them up"

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (02/19/85)

I have no children (but am planning on one), but I can't see how a parent can
allow someone that is not known to them (i.e. teacher), smacking on kids.  Yes,
I realize that some kids are unruly (I teach a class full of disrespectful,
hyperactive, and generally difficult kids), but many people don't know their
own strength.  I wouldn't want to take the chance that my child was being hit
by one of them.

I know that this is not the case with every parent, but I have seen many try
to shift the responsibility for discipline of their child to teachers.  Even
though my class (karate) is supposed to teach discipline, I often find parents
asking me to take care of their child's reading problem, sibling problems,
classmate problems, etc.  I even had one ask me to smack their kid for them
because of the child being unruly in the car on the way to class.  I declined
on the grounds that I wanted them to respect me, not fear me.  It's a full
contact class, and the kids have to trust instructors not to kill them.
But, I deviate...

Violence against children is rarely an answer.  If a child, perhaps needs a
smack on the behind, it should be the parent's responsibility to decide whether
said smack is truly necessary, and to deliver it themselves.  Children should
not fear their teachers, but respect them.  A teacher should be able to command
respect from non physical actions.  In my day, my teachers punished us by
having us put our heads down on the desk, or isolation for a few minutes, etc.
In severe cases, parents should be notified, and it should be the parents who
decide the discipline.  I know that there are some pretty rotten kids out there
as well as some pretty uncaring parents, but smacking kids around isn't the
answer.

pking@uiucuxc.UUCP (02/20/85)

In this part of central Illinois we are required to
sign forms giving the school permission to use physical
force on our children---
If you do NOT give your permission the school can not
HIT your child -- I did not give my permission -- If my child
does something so terrible that warrants striking by a teacher
or principal, I want to know about it -- I don't think schools
should have the right to strike their pupils without parents
knowing about it -- Even if the school called me, I would not
allow them to hit my child under any cicrcumstances -- fortunately
we have been lucky in our schools and teachers, neither have
believed in hitting ---

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (02/21/85)

 At one point in time (I don't recalL when) I read (I don't recall where)
that children prefer a spanking to other forms of punishment.  Why?  Because
it was over with quickly.  Now that I think about it, there was more than one
time that I wished I had just been whacked and got it all over with instead of
being grounded, lectured, stood in a corner, etc.

 I don't believe in slapping a child.  Spanking, as others have said, doesn't
seem as personel an asault.  Toddlers, whose judgement and memory are quite
selective, need some reenforcement (either positive or negative) that will
prevent them from life threatening situations.  I have not met a two year old
who fully understands what it means to be hit by a car, but most understand
a spanking.  I'm not saying that it is the best method, but it is effective.

 All children need to know that some one is in control.  They tend to look
to adults for this. As they get older, they want to know thier limits.
Many troublesome kids are just testing thier limits.  They want to know just
how far they can go.  The idea of "tough-love" for teen-agers is that these
people never knew their bounds.  It is trying to make up for this loss.
When a child's bounds are crossed, the child needs to know. I beilve a firm
(not hard) swat and an explaination of the violation convey the needed message.
This done in a loving environment (and not infront of peers) should not prove
devastating to a child.  It teaches them responsibility for their actions.

 Now, whether teachers should be able to spank their students, I wish that
every teacher was wise enough to know how and when to spank, but because
I know that isn't the case, I find myself torn.  There is the child's right
to saftey (above all else) and there are the rights of the other children
to have a quit classroom, calm teacher, etc.  The question is too important
to leave to the government, but I don't have a solution either.

-------------------------------------
Never strike a child in anger,
Never hit him when irate,
But save it for some happy time,
When both are feeling great.
          - Erma Bombeck
-------------------------------------

bmt@we53.UUCP ( B. M. Thomas ) (03/02/85)

>  I am curious to know why such a state of affairs exists.  I would like to
>hear from net folk: parents/would-be parents/concerned people.  I am
>interested in hearing not just your views on this subject (which would be
>very valuable), but also any clues you can offer for such a mental make-up
>of the American populace.

I am curious to know why educated people are so ignorant of the facts of
life.

There is a quote from Solomon that says to discipline your child strongly
and physically, saying, "if you beat him with the rod, he will not die."
I appreciate this, and if you can see it, there are two meanings here:
first, a good-natured assurance that you won't kill him; second, the
assurance that by training your child well to discipline himself, you will
save him from death, both spiritually and even physically.

Wake up.  There's still time for you.

from over the rainbow of

	we53!bmt(Brian M. Thomas @ AT&T Technologies, St. Louis, MO)

bmt@we53.UUCP ( B. M. Thomas ) (03/02/85)

I think I should back up a little.  My previous reply was a little strong
against the idea of spanking.  This was misplaced in a discussion of corporal
punishment in schools, and I apologise.  I fully agree, Mikki, that teachers
are not capable, and should not be expected, to take the parents' responsi-
bilities to raise their children.  It is this parental abdication of
authority and responsibility that has put teachers in an impossible situation.

from over the rainbow of

	we53!bmt(Brian M. Thomas @ AT&T Technologies, St. Louis, MO)

david@terak.UUCP (David Jayakaran) (03/07/85)

[]

>>  I am curious to know why such a state of affairs exists.  I would like to
>>hear from net folk: parents/would-be parents/concerned people.  I am
>>interested in hearing not just your views on this subject (which would be
>>very valuable), but also any clues you can offer for such a mental make-up
>>of the American populace.
>>Jay Ramanathan

>I am curious to know why educated people are so ignorant of the facts of
>life.
>There is a quote from Solomon that says to discipline your child strongly
>and physically, saying, "if you beat him with the rod, he will not die."
>I appreciate this, and if you can see it, there are two meanings here:
>first, a good-natured assurance that you won't kill him; second, the
>assurance that by training your child well to discipline himself, you will
>save him from death, both spiritually and even physically.
>Wake up.  There's still time for you.
>we53!bmt(Brian M. Thomas @ AT&T Technologies, St. Louis, MO)

Bravo, Brian!!!  I couldn't have said it better myself!
--
David

uucp:	 ...{decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!david
phone:	 [602] 998-4800
us mail: Terak Corporation, 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His
handywork.                                                 Psalm 19:1

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (09/02/85)

Here's an example of how NOT to do it:

>       My brother-in-law, on the other hand, doesn't believe in spanking.
> He believes that a parent should, instead, attempt to reason with children,
> or failing that, cajole them into doing what is necessary, or, failing that,
> issue baseless and meaningless threats.  He's raising a couple of little
> monsters.  A sample scene:  the monsters are splashing around in the
> lake, squealing and screaming at each other, etc, generally having a good
> time.  My brother in law, Dave, is standing on shore in a suit.  He's
> come to pick the kids up and is late for a meeting.
>     Dave:  Alright, kids.  Get out and get dried off, it's time to go.
>     Kid1:  No!
>  (a few minutes later)
>     Dave:  C'mon, get out of there or I'll be late for my meeting.
>     Kid1&2: (pretend not to hear.)
>     Dave:  Am I going to have to come in there after you?
>     Kids:  Come on in.  The water's fine.
>     Dave:  I'm going to count to ten, and you'd better get out of there,
>            or else.
>  (the kids continue playing as Dave starts his 'countdown'.  They know
>   from long experience that the threatened 'or else' means 'or else I'll
>   stand here pleading with you some more.'  Dave stops counting after five.)

Spanking (or the threat thereof) is NOT the only alternative to this
scenario.  I have never met anyone who likes to stop doing anything
fun, and no kid is going to want to stop swimming just because Daddy
has to go to one of his stupid meetings.  A couple of suggestions:

--There is no way short of brute force to get two kids out of any
body of water larger than a bathtub in less than 5 minutes.  If Daddy
just drives up and says, "Hurry up and get in the car, I'm already
late, go on, get moving!" he can count on a less than enthusiastic
reception.  Give them some time.  Let them know in advance when they
will have to go, and give them some warning.  It isn't the kids'
fault if Daddy is late.

--Substitute another enjoyable activity.  For instance, tell them
you'll stop for ice cream on the way home (and then follow through on
your promise); bring along a game for them to play in the car; remind
them that their favorite TV program will be on when they get home.
Use your imagination.  This takes more effort than just hitting the
brats, but it's more fun.

I suggest that Dave gets no respect because of his obvious hapless
ineffectiveness, not because he refuses to hit his kids (for which he
has MY respect).  Idle threats ("Get out by the time I count ten, or
else!") just make things worse.

Whether or not you should use corporal punishment with your children
is a matter of what you want them to learn.  For example, take
crossing the street.  Do you want them to be afraid of moving cars or
afraid of you?  If you want them to look to see if you are watching
instead of looking for oncoming cars when they are tempted to cross
the street, then by all means spank them when you catch them crossing
the street.  That will teach them, very effectively, not to cross the
street if they think you might be watching.  But if you don't want to
spank them, keep them away from the street if they can't be trusted
near it.

An example from my own experience:  The Orthogenic School is home for
50-60 of the most impossible kids in the United States, ages 6-18.
The School is located on a busy city intersection, with trucks
rumbling past.  The doors are not locked from the inside, so any kid
can get up and walk out at any time, unless they are restrained by
someone holding on to them (no other kinds of restraint are used).
Corporal punishment is never employed -- if a staff member so much as
slaps a kid, he or she is in hot water.  Every one of these kids has
been taught to stay out of the street.

The trouble with corporal punishment is that it is ineffective in the
long run.  In the short run it's the fastest way to change a child's
behavior.  But it teaches him that superior force is the way to
influence people's behavior in this world, the way the Soviets
influenced the Hungarians, the Czechs, and the Afghans, not by
reasoning, persuasion, and using your head.  If you also forbid the
child to hit you back, he concludes quite logically that might makes
right:  it's OK for the strong to hit the weak, but not the reverse.
You crack the whip and the kid jumps through the hoop.  That's fine
if you want to raise a trained monkey rather than a thinking human
being.

> Throughout the rest of my childhood, I would generally obey
> my father without question, though on occasion I'd test the limits of
> his authority, always 'straightening up' when I received a warning.  I
> suppose that at first, this was motivated by fear, but as I grew up and
> learned to understand the *reasons* he had for demanding obedience, it
> just became habit to do what dad said.

I'm glad you learned that thinking for yourself is more important
than obedience.  Here is a contrasting quotation:

> It was constantly impressed upon me in forceful terms that I must
> obey promptly the wishes and commands of my parents, teachers, and
> priests, and indeed of all grown-up people, including servants, and
> that nothing must distract me from this duty.  Whatever they said was
> always right.  These basic principles by which I was brought up
> became second nature to me.

This was written by Rudolf Hoess, Commandant at Auschwitz.

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (09/02/85)

In article <11316@rochester.UUCP>, ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> > In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
> >	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
> >
> I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.

:loop
> Parent :    Time for bed.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
go to loop

> And so on,  What WOULD you do?

My three and a half year old daughter and I often run into this situation.
The solution we came up with can probably be ripped apart (I am interested
in hearing what other people think of this) but it WORKS!

When I get tired of the Nope game, I tell her to do the exact opposite.
It always is with a smile so she can distinguish it from non :-) no's,
(assuming I have any smile left), and it is always exaggerated.

eg.
P: Time for bed

C: Nope.

P: Okay, but you had better stay up ALL night and make a lot of noise.
You be sure to get good and tired before tommorrow so you can't
(do whatever good things are in store for the next day).

C: I'm going to bed! (looks around for escape route because she knows that
                      when she breaks for upstairs I am going to try to catch
                      her)

P: You had better not! (Bigger smile, the only way to differentiate
                        from a real NO)

C: (runs up to her room and dives under the covers)

Stories follow.

I make the reversal as obvious and ridiculous as possible. This succeeds
almost everytime I try it. To prevent overuse,

a) do not use in situations that are critical i.e. street crossing
b) do not use where the child can turn it around on you. If the above
   failed, I would have let her try to stay up all nite in her room
   as long as she does not come down to disturb us.

This has been suggested in various forms on the net for a while. What
other cautions do you think are wise? What problems do you forsee when
she is a little older (I assume this will get dated quite soon)?
I will summarize if any direct replies are of general interest.
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (09/03/85)

> You're not allowed to threaten to take his teddy bear away.
Of course not. First of all, if you have to carry it out, you're ensuring the
kid isn't going to sleep. Second of all, that's almost the same as threatening
to remove *yourself* from the kid, from an emotional standpoint.
> You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if he doesn't listen.
That's silly. Ice cream when? Bedtime is now; a future reward/punishment
has no value to a four year old.
> By the way, you are not
> allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
> hand and over powering him with your size.
WRONG. That is precisely what you do, as a last resort. However,
if you have accustomed the child to a regular bedtime, or negotiated a
special case, this is rarely necessary.
> Besides, he would just climb out of bed and come downstairs.
> What WOULD you do?
Carry him back!
>		From: ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank)
All of the above takes for granted that we've determined that there is no
reason the kid doesn't want to stay in bed (fear, discomfort, etc.).

It IS possible to raise a decent kid without inflicting either physical pain
or shame. But first, you have to BELIEVE it can be done. We have (so far
at age 4).
--
  ______			Russ Herman
 /      \			{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (09/05/85)

Steve Henning writes:

>Dr Spock was the man who single handedly dethroned
>the saying, "spare the rod and spoil the child."

If only this were true.  "Spare the rod --> spoil the child" is
completely wrong but many parents still accept it.  One of the
problems with raising a child this way is that the child, when he or
she grows up, tends to become an adult whose inability to empathize
with feelings of weakness and helplessness is illustrated in the
following exchange:

> > Funny, I got the paddle several times in jr. high school and I
> > NEVER DESERVED IT.
>
>Poor baby.   Everyone send sympathy cards.

I'll bet my next paycheck that Mr. Henning received corporal
punishment fairly often as a child and that he experienced it at the
time as undeserved and unfair.  Rather than blaming Mr. Henning for
his lack of sympathy I would attribute it to his childhood
experiences, since his attitude as expressed above is typical of
those who received corporal punishment.  Such a child learns to
repress (i.e. dismiss from conscious awareness) his feelings of
helpless vulnerability, so that when he becomes an adult and someone
(usually a child) experiences and expresses those feelings of
weakness, the feelings threaten to return to conscious awareness and
reactivate the pain on account of which they were repressed.  So
the adult defends himself against reexperiencing these feelings,
perhaps with a sarcastic dismissal of them:  "Poor baby.  Everyone
send sympathy cards."

Extreme examples of this kind of personality can be found in many of
the Nazis, nearly all of whom received "strict" upbringings complete
with corporal punishment.  Their childhood experiences, I believe, go
a long way to explain their lack of sympathy with their weak and
helpless victims on whom they imposed undeserved suffering.  Adolf
Hitler, BTW, was beaten constantly and severely as a child.  This is
not to say that the beatings were the *sole* cause of his later
actions.  There some other factors in Hitler's case, including the
fact that he had no children of his own, who otherwise might have
served him as victims instead of the Jews.

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/06/85)

>"Spare the rod --> spoil the child" is
>completely wrong but many parents still accept it.  One of the
>problems with raising a child this way is that the child, when he or
>she grows up, tends to become an adult whose inability to empathize
>with feelings of weakness and helplessness . . .
>
>Rather than blaming Mr. Henning for
>his lack of sympathy I would attribute it to his childhood
>experiences, since his attitude as expressed above is typical of
>those who received corporal punishment.
>
>Extreme examples of this kind of personality can be found in many of
>the Nazis, nearly all of whom received "strict" upbringings complete
>with corporal punishment.
>
>Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

Isn't this a bit strong, Richard?  I would hardly say the "inability to
empathize with feelings of weakness and helplessness" is "typical" of my
family or friends, although most of us "received 'strict' upbringings
complete with corporal punishment."  It sounds to me like you are
confusing discipline that includes occasional spankings with child
abuse.

		charli

cim1@pyuxv.UUCP (G. Bogatko) (09/06/85)

	There is another dynamic to this discussion that is being missed.

	The most rapid child development comes when their actions cause an
IMMEDIATE REACTION.

	For example: A child learns rather quickly not to put his hand
on a hot stove.  (Yes, there are exceptions, Yes, age makes a difference)
because the reaction (pain) is immediate. (No, I am not advocating pain).

	It takes a child a while to learn about why he/she should go to
bed because the reaction -- a hard time getting up the next morning in
time for whatever -- is *not* immediate.

	A child learns very quickly to be creative and spontanious if the
reaction is positive and *immediate*.  ex: Wow, that xxxx is fantastic.

	A child learns to be intellectually constipated if the reaction is
always one of disinterest and ridicule.  ex: That just looks like scribbles
to me.  Why don't you do something useful for a change.  You are worthless.

	A child becomes crippled if every action causes a negative reaction.

					and

	A child becomes crippled if every action causes a positive reaction.

	Good parents (good teachers) are able to strike a good balance.

	(No, I am not advocating Skinner boxes or brainwashing)

	Lesson: A reaction to a child's action, whenever possible should be
right then and there.  Things you WANT to have the child do should be
rewarded, and things you DON'T WANT to have the child do should be
punished (No, punish does not mean inflict pain) right then and there.

	N.B. Notice the comments in parens.  They are to pre-answer the
crackpots who don't bother reading beyond the first buzzword).

				-- G. M. Bogatko

elt@astrovax.UUCP (Ed Turner) (09/09/85)

This discussion has turned into a debate about techniques for disciplinig
children.  In my opinion spankings are not necessarily more effective
nor more psychologically or emotionally damaging to children than other
forms of punishment.  Here I would distinguish between disciplinary
spanking and sadistic physical child abuse which actually inflicts
injury on the child.  Non-physical punishments can also be extremely
cruel and humiliating and even abusive.  There is a whole lot more to
disciplining children effectively than picking the right form of
punishment or reward.

Reposted below is something I posted about a year ago in a previous
discussion of discipline which was as well received as anything I have
ever submitted.  Thus, I hope it bears repetition.

Discipline is a toughie.  Here are a few things my wife and I have noticed in
the course of raising our own and watching our friends raise theirs.

1) You should ALMOST NEVER (i.e., once a year at most) back down on something
you have said, whether it is telling a child not to do something or
threatening a specific punishment.  The reason is obvious; how is the child to
know in the future whether you mean it or whether you don't.  Some people get
into an awful trap this way.  They place some act or behavior off limits, but
their child persists, and eventually they relent and allow it.  Next time they
hold their ground longer, but the child still wins out in the end.  The next
time it takes even longer and so on.  Unconsciously, the parents are teaching
the child that he/she need only draw out the issue long enough to have a chance
of getting their way.  Soon even the smallest issues of discipline take hours
or even days to resolve.  Conversely, if you always mean what you say, the
child soon learns to take your word for it.

2) Try not to nag your child and constantly be correcting its behavior on
relatively minor points.  Forbid behavior that is dangerous or really
unacceptable but try not to be authoritarian about things that are merely
annoying.  The main reason for this beyond not overly suppressing the child's
self expression is that children easily learn to "tune out" too frequent
nagging.  Then they almost literally don't hear you when the issue is more
important.

3) Some children (or maybe all children at some age) respond positively to
what their parents consider negative reinforcement.  They so love to be the
center of attention that they prefer being punished to being ignored.  This
can be a particular problem if the child is not getting enough other attention
from the parents; even spankings can be preferable to what is in their eyes
neglect.  In this case ignoring bad behavior and responding strongly with
attention to good behavior can sometimes work wonders.

4) Try to have rules that the child can understand and punishments that are
applied consistently and uniformly.  If the child cannot predict what behavior
will displease you and how it will be punished, he/she is likely to see it as
merely capriscious harrasment on your part.  Problems of this sort can easily
occur for small children who, for instance, cannot easily see why acceptable
behavior at home is unacceptable in a restaurant or at grandparents' house.

5) Spanking (assuming it is not brutal) is not particularly more effective or
more extreme than other punishments except perhaps for very small children
who may not understand what other forms of punishment are all about.  Parents
who spank regularly may still fall into all of the traps described above (and
no doubt others) and have as bad a discipline problems as parents who don't
spank.  Just switching from a no spanking to a spanking policy will not usually
solve your problems.

6) Love your children and let them know they are loved as much as you can. This
will cause them to *want* to please you.  This is the easiest and in the long
run the most effective "discipline".

7) Remember none of this or indeed anything works all the time or for all
children.

Incidentally, my wife and I have only resorted to a mild spanking two or
three times in my 7 year old son's life.

Ed Turner
astrovax!elt

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/09/85)

>	Lesson: A reaction to a child's action, whenever possible should be
>right then and there.  Things you WANT to have the child do should be
>rewarded, and things you DON'T WANT to have the child do should be
>punished (No, punish does not mean inflict pain) right then and there.
>
>				-- G. M. Bogatko

As a comment on this discussion, my son started something when he was a
year old that really upset me.  Every time he got frustrated (and,
as anyone who has one knows, one-year-olds get frustrated a lot), he'd
bang his head on the floor.  Hard.

Our pediatrician, my mother, and all the other "experts" we turned to
assured us he would not hit his head hard enough to injure himself.
That's easy to say when you're not sitting there watching him beat
himself.  We tried putting him in his crib in the other room, all those
sorts of things.  He *never* got any goodies for his efforts.  But the
head-banging wouldn't go away.

So after a while, my husband decided he'd had enough.  If the head-banging
wasn't hurting Jonathan, it was hurting *me*.  Starting one Sunday
afternoon, every time Jonathan banged his head on the floor, he got
swatted on the bottom.  Hard.  (Not hard enough to injure him through
his diapers and clothes, of course.  But hard enough that he knew he'd
been swatted.)  Within two days, the head-banging was *gone*.  It has
recurred only twice since.  Both times, he got swatted.  (We also
instructed grandparents and babysitters that if he banged his head, he
was to be swatted.)  It was a fast cure.  I think it was far better,
and I know it was far more effective, than any non-physical methods we
tried.

Note that I am not advocating child-beating.  Swats and spankings are
not the *only* disciplinary measure we use. But in this case, it worked,
it worked fast, and it saved me a lot of grief.

		charli

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (09/10/85)

> I'll bet my next paycheck that Mr. Henning received corporal
> punishment fairly often as a child and that he experienced it at the
> time as undeserved and unfair.

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!smh

Sorry, you loose.  You can send the check at your convenience.  I was
spoiled rotten.  However, I was smart enough to not ruin the arrangement
by doing too many rotten things.

I have worked with children for 20 years as a Boy Scout leader, and have
found the proponents of "don't touch my child" as being those parents
who have raised real brats.  I only touched a Scout once, and all I did
was back him into a wall with my fat gut and shout at him.  He is the only
boy I ever met who had no respect at all for anyone behind their back,
but was the sweatest little thing to their face.  I can take almost
anything, but deceit and bigotry are two things that trigger me.  It is
rewarding to find that most children do in fact grow up to be productive
human beings despite what they want you to believe when they are younger.
Child abuse is very bad, but many very good parents use very effective
forms of discipline and do not abuse their children.  We do not need
to send these parents on a guilt trip because they have spanked their
children.  We should be addressing abuse and not discipline that is not
abuse.  One thing we do in Scouts is ask children what the rules should
be and what the punishment should be for infractions.  It is very
surprising to hear how well they understand the system and how good their
punishments are.  Of course, we never use corporal punishment unless
it is the scoutmasters own child.

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (09/10/85)

> Spare the rod --> spoil the child" is
> completely wrong but many parents still accept it.  One of the
> problems with raising a child this way is that the child, when he or
> she grows up, tends to become an adult whose inability to empathize
> with feelings of weakness and helplessness is illustrated in the
> following exchange:
>
> > > Funny, I got the paddle several times in jr. high school and I
> > > NEVER DESERVED IT.
> >
> >Poor baby.   Everyone send sympathy cards.
>
> I'll bet my next paycheck that Mr. Henning received corporal
> punishment fairly often as a child and that he experienced it at the
> time as undeserved and unfair.  Rather than blaming Mr. Henning for
> his lack of sympathy I would attribute it to his childhood
> experiences, since his attitude as expressed above is typical of
> those who received corporal punishment.  Such a child learns to
> repress (i.e. dismiss from conscious awareness) his feelings of
> helpless vulnerability, so that when he becomes an adult and someone
> (usually a child) experiences and expresses those feelings of
> weakness, the feelings threaten to return to conscious awareness and
> reactivate the pain on account of which they were repressed.  So
> the adult defends himself against reexperiencing these feelings,
> perhaps with a sarcastic dismissal of them:  "Poor baby.  Everyone
> send sympathy cards."

This is a rather interesting theory, but I am not sure I buy it.  I
was spanked when I was younger, though I was never physically hurt,
like I might have been if I had been beaten or abused.  Also, my
parents spanked me less and less as I got older, since as a child
gets older, there are many other discipline options open to a parent
besides spanking.  But the most important points, I feel, are that
my parents taught me to take responsibility for my actions and face
the consequences of them.  They also took time to explain to me why
I was being punished, and they also taught me many other things,
such as respect and compassion for others.  I think that spanking
itself need not bring about the attitude you describe, though
parents who spank indiscriminately and uncaringly and who beat their
children might well rouse such feelings in them.  However, I think
you can be taught not to care about others by emulating parents who
don't care about others either, or by being raised by parents who
don't care too much about their children (no attention, etc.)

> Extreme examples of this kind of personality can be found in many of
> the Nazis, nearly all of whom received "strict" upbringings complete
> with corporal punishment.  Their childhood experiences, I believe, go
> a long way to explain their lack of sympathy with their weak and
> helpless victims on whom they imposed undeserved suffering.  Adolf
> Hitler, BTW, was beaten constantly and severely as a child.  This is
> not to say that the beatings were the *sole* cause of his later
> actions.  There some other factors in Hitler's case, including the
> fact that he had no children of his own, who otherwise might have
> served him as victims instead of the Jews.

I don't think that corporal punishment can be blamed for as the
whole, or even a major, cause of the problem here.  Children were
not only punished severely, but were taught not to sympathise with
the weak and helpless, and were taught loyalty (to Hitler rather
than, say to their family) and to worship strength and scorn
weakness.  Corporal punishment in the form of severe beatings is
just part of the overall attitude.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

smuga@mtuxo.UUCP (j.smuga) (09/10/85)

Bravo, Ed - a fine article.

Especially this part:

> 6) Love your children and let them know they are loved as much as you can. This
> will cause them to *want* to please you.  This is the easiest and in the long
> run the most effective "discipline".
>
> Ed Turner
> astrovax!elt

My 2 cents worth: when you need to discipline, make it quick and
clean; correct the child's behavior and let the punishment (if any)
be immediate and brief.  When it's over, let it be over.  Don't hold a
grudge or pin a lable on a child (e.g. "You always do that.")

Janet Smuga			I've had a great many troubles in my time,
ihnp4!mtuxo!smuga		and most of them never happened.

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (09/11/85)

This discussion has strayed a bit from just punishment into "how to
get kids to obey without spanking" and so I thought I'd share a tactic
which has been extremely effective for me.

Since I am the adult (?|-)) I supposedly have the ability to decide that
bedtime (or whatever change in activity) is approaching - and I will
warn Katie (now 4 1/2) by saying "Put your pajamas on in 5 more, okay?",
and making sure she agrees.  I then count down ("4 more, ok?", "3...)
and Katie almost never seriously complains.  When she does complain I'll
usually just say "But you have to" and that works for some reason I don't
know.  I use the technique for everything from bedtime to leaving a play
situation to going to the park, I think Katie just appreciates what is
going to happen next.

One of the hidden advantages is that it is only very recently that Katie
has any sense of time, and so how long "5" is up to you.

My last resort of parental authority is "I'm going to count to 3!!",
I know I've never hit Katie, and I don't think I've ever finished the
ultimatum (what will ahppen at three), but she respects it.  I guess
I should find out what the source of her fear is.

Cheers,
Peter B

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/12/85)

In article <3838@amdcad.UUCP> linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) writes:

>> [bed-time argument we've all read plenty of times by now]
>
>Why make the kid go to bed if he's not tired.  When he's tired he'll fall
>asleep anyway.  Plenty of parents are frustrated little dictators and the
>only way they can exercise power is to impose all kinds of arbitrary
>rules on their kids.

Sometimes its easy to see who's a parent, and who's not. :-)

		charli

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (09/23/85)

> >	Lesson: A reaction to a child's action, whenever possible should be
> >right then and there.  Things you WANT to have the child do should be
> >rewarded, and things you DON'T WANT to have the child do should be
> >punished (No, punish does not mean inflict pain) right then and there.
> >
> >				-- G. M. Bogatko
>
> As a comment on this discussion, my son started something when he was a
> year old that really upset me.  Every time he got frustrated (and,
> as anyone who has one knows, one-year-olds get frustrated a lot), he'd
> bang his head on the floor.  Hard.
>
> Our pediatrician, my mother, and all the other "experts" we turned to
> assured us he would not hit his head hard enough to injure himself.
> That's easy to say when you're not sitting there watching him beat
> himself.  We tried putting him in his crib in the other room, all those
> sorts of things.  He *never* got any goodies for his efforts.  But the
> head-banging wouldn't go away.
>
> So after a while, my husband decided he'd had enough.  If the head-banging
> wasn't hurting Jonathan, it was hurting *me*.  Starting one Sunday
> afternoon, every time Jonathan banged his head on the floor, he got
> swatted on the bottom.  Hard. .................
> 		charli

I had a similar problem with my Jacob.  Somehow, were not that much
affraid (wall to wall carpet).  Still, disturbing.  When he was 16
months old, we spend a week of vacations in a hotel room with marble
floor.  Needless to say, he never tried to bang his head on the floor
again.
Personally, I do not want to spank, swat etc.  However, when Jacob
was a little above two years, he started to hit me when frustated
(two years old, even loved and sweet, also may get frustrated).
I responded with clapping at his palm, not to strong, but to let
him feel pain.  I thought that I must convey the idea that since
he becomes stronger, this kind of tantrum is not appropriate any
more.  Again, worked fast.
Still, seems that the very reason that it worked so well is that
it was so unusual a punishment.  Thus as a rule one should not
do it, and the exeptions should be well justified (and exeptional).

     Peter

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (09/26/85)

> Personally, I do not want to spank, swat etc.  However, when Jacob
> was a little above two years, he started to hit me when frustated
> (two years old, even loved and sweet, also may get frustrated).
> I responded with clapping at his palm, not to strong, but to let
> him feel pain.  I thought that I must convey the idea that since
> he becomes stronger, this kind of tantrum is not appropriate any
> more.  Again, worked fast.
> Still, seems that the very reason that it worked so well is that
> it was so unusual a punishment.  Thus as a rule one should not
> do it, and the exeptions should be well justified (and exeptional).
>					Piotr Berman

I can testify that children DO NOT have to be hit to learn hitting. In our
house, hitting us is the is the only instantaneous, no questions asked,
time-out-able offense. This meets the unusualness criterion, as that
behavior has never gotten itself firmly established.
--

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (09/29/85)

> Our pediatrician, my mother, and all the other "experts" we turned to
> assured us he would not hit his head hard enough to injure himself.

Woefully wrong.  Children with autism can damage themselves so severely
as to require hospitalization.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]