[net.kids] survey for parents of adolescents OR adolescents bringing up parents

adams@tymix.UUCP (Christina E. Adams) (10/08/85)

A new topic for discussion ...

{But MOM, every body else in the whole school gets to...}

How old were YOUR girls (or how old will they be) when you let them

1) go out on unchaperoned dates?

2) wear makeup?

3) dye their hair purple?

4) and (GASP!) shave their legs?

And how old was she when she showed the first symptoms of boy craziness?

(is there a cure?)

Granted, the chronological age is not the only considerations.   How did
you tell the maturity was there?

And how about the boys?   From what I hear most of the time they're not
overanxious to date. How old are they when they want to do the equivalents?

                      -Christie Adams
		      {...sun!ios ...hplabs|fortune!oliveb}!tymix!adams

  186,000 miles per second.  It's not just a good idea...
      It's the law!!

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (10/09/85)

In article <550@tymix.UUCP> adams@tymix.UUCP (Christina E. Adams) writes:
>A new topic for discussion ...
>
>{But MOM, every body else in the whole school gets to...}
>
>How old were YOUR girls (or how old will they be) when you let them
>
>1) go out on unchaperoned dates?
	at least 15

>2) wear makeup?
	she started experimenting at 13, but does not really wear it to
	school or anyplace else 'important'. Perhaps she will figure out
	how to put it on correctly before she wants too.

>3) dye their hair purple?
	if she asked now, at 13, I would probably agree if she could
	explain what the long term effects were and had taken a couple
	weeks between deciding and having it done. I consider dying
	her hair to be one of the less disasterous mistakes she could make
	Kids need some sort of rebellious outlet.

>4) and (GASP!) shave their legs?
	Sunny decided to shave her legs at 13, with an electric shaver.
	I don't object, but also do not encourage.  This is another one of
	the things I consider relatively harmless and something that she
	has to decide on her own.  She discussed shaving her legs as early
	as 11 and we discussed why women do this and what the criteria
	for 'needing' to shave one's legs are.  She decided when she was
	ready.

>And how old was she when she showed the first symptoms of boy craziness?
	Sunny is not very open about her interest in boys, but does
	embarrass easily in their presence. I was pleased that in her
	boy crazy sixth grade she was one of the few girls the boys could
	talk to without being afraid of being tagged as her boyfriend.
	She quit associating as easily with boys in the seventh grade.

>(is there a cure?)
	Cure may come with age.  Like any other addiction, they should be
	expected to continue with the rest of life.

>Granted, the chronological age is not the only considerations.   How did
>you tell the maturity was there?
	If she can explain why she wants to do it, what the possible
	results are, and can she live with the outcome.  On dating my main
	criteria is that she understand that dating is not a social contest
	nor the starting of a serious relationship.

--
          PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

| The thrill is not just in the winning |
|  But in the courage to join the race  |