[net.kids] How do I get my 6 yr old to practice piano

dsl@pegasus.UUCP (David S. Levine) (09/11/85)

I have a 6 year old daughter who take piano lessons weekly.
If she puts her mind to it she is an excellent player.
Practice, however, is a nightmare. Either she totally refuses to practice
or she fools around and turns what should be a 20 minute practice session
into a two hour ordeal.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to motivate her to practice.

		Thanks
		David Levine
		pegasus!dsl

swb@lasspvax.UUCP (Scott Brim) (09/12/85)

In article <2578@pegasus.UUCP> dsl@pegasus.UUCP (David S. Levine) writes:
>I have a 6 year old daughter who take piano lessons weekly.
>If she puts her mind to it she is an excellent player.
>Practice, however, is a nightmare. Either she totally refuses to practice
>or she fools around and turns what should be a 20 minute practice session
>into a two hour ordeal.
>
>I would appreciate any ideas on how to motivate her to practice.

My daughter is now 10; piano practice has been a somewhat rocky road
but now she's going strong.  Our 6-year-old boy is just starting.
Here are my thoughts (I'm not an expert, just a parent!).  I wouldn't at
all say that you should follow these to the letter, but the concepts
might be useful.
   Lots of support, of course.  It's her life.
   Share your enthusiasm for music with her - not in words so much as
     the pure emotional impassioned enthusiasm when you hear something
     you like.
   Very small incremental goals.  Things she can accomplish and feel
     good about, not "ok, the next thing is to learn the left hand for
     this whole piece, and then you can put both hands together".
     Dynamics in small sections are good for this.  I like giving my
     kids tiny goals that they can accomplish the very next time they
     try to play a piece, but which they hadn't thought of before.
     You have to have an agreement with her teacher about this, and it
     helps for the parent to be involved in both lessons and practice.
     (By the way, we used the local Suzuki school for a couple of years
     -- you might want to check them out.  I like their approach).
   Don't be concerned about how much progress she's making, rather with
     how well she's grokking the music and the instrument.  Leave rate
     of progress up to her.  The goal is to rely more and more on the
     child's motivation, not the parent's.
   Finally (and we didn't do this until about a year and a half ago when
     our daughter was old enough) you might simply lay the responsibility on
     her.  Our daughter knows that if she stops practicing we'll stop
     lessons - it's completely her choice (of course if she *did* decide
     to stop we'd express great regret and try to talk her out of it
     (still leaving the decision up to her)).  Now that she is good enough
     to enjoy playing, she wants to keep going, so she practices.
     Because it's on her own initiative she enjoys it even more.
						    /Scott Brim

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (09/13/85)

In article <2578@pegasus.UUCP> dsl@pegasus.UUCP (David S. Levine) writes:
>I would appreciate any ideas on how to motivate her to practice.

My experience motivating people to practice is limited to myself as a
child and with band members as a teenager; I hope it helps...

I found that people who are genuinely interested in playing music quite
often have two motivations: a desire to hear good music and a desire to
perform. In the later case, I can't see many young children
understanding it because they are often shy (I certainly didn't want
anyone to listen to me when I was six!).

In the former case, people will practice things they want to hear. When
I had to get a band working, I would make sure that each member chose a
number to do so that each would have a motivation to practice (ie "I'll
practice the song you want to do, if you practice the one I want to
do...") When I was little, this would have really worked. It's hard to
look at a printed sheet of a Mozart minuet and "see" that is sounds
really good without a lot of training. If, however, I had had a chance
to HEAR it, I would have liked it and wanted to learn how to play it.
The worst stumbling block for me to practice (and still is!) was the
first plinking away at the notes and not having it sound like much.

If you, or someone who's around, can read and play, perhaps you could
try a "if you learn how to play this, it will sound like this <play it>;
isn't that nice?" approach.

The main drawback (which could have a serious effect) is that your
daughter may start playing things by ear rather than reading and not
develop good reading skills, but you can discuss that with her teacher.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

"What? With her?"

-Adam from _The_Book_of_Genesis_

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (09/13/85)

> I have a 6 year old daughter who take piano lessons weekly.
> I would appreciate any ideas on how to motivate her to practice.
>
> 		Thanks
> 		David Levine
> 		pegasus!dsl

My own four year old is showing a very strong interest
in music and I am considering formal lessons, so I have
the same concerns you have. I have two suggestions borne
out of anecdotal evidence.

1. My parents threatened me,"If you don't practice regularly,
   you have to stop taking lessons." I liked playing enough
   so that this worked well into my teenage years whereupon
   I (naturally) rebelled and stopped practicing the pre-
   scribed material and started "jamming" on my own. I still
   play regularly.

2. A friend (and fellow poster) has a 10 year old who has
   been playing violin for five years now. The kid has a love/
   hate relationship with his musical studies. His parents
   practice right by his side, learning and teaching at the
   same time. The kid enjoys this approach much more than
   being sequestered in a room to practice on his own.

Suggestion 1 requires a deep enjoyment of playing music in
the first place. Suggestion 2 requires time on the part of
the parents.

One last note: Many (most) of my peers were forced to learn
a musical instrument during childhood. As soon as they became
teenagers, the first thing they did to exhibit independence
was to refuse to practice their instrument (some even destroyed
their instruments in open defiance of "martial law").
This is why I suggest either 1 or 2 or a combination.

Good Luck!

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | ~ |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (09/14/85)

Scott Brim's suggestions are very good.  Here are some more:

I think that a 6-year-old shouldn't be expected to practice for more
than 15 minutes at the most at one sitting, and perhaps for no more
than 10 minutes.  Longer sessions tend to be experienced as
imprisonment.  You can increase the periods as they get older.

There should be two or three regular practice sessions a day:  you
can start with 30 minutes a day total and work up to an hour, a good
goal for children studying piano.  The worst time to expect a kid to
practice is right after he or she gets home from school.  Practicing
is very hard work, or should be, and requires concentration and
energy.  Put a snack (that won't destroy the instrument, e.g.
raisins) on top of the piano so your kid can nibble.

One of the main reasons that both children and adults often don't
practice is that it is a lonely activity.  You can help by being in
the vicinity and making encouraging noises from time to time.  Don't
say, "You made a mistake -- play that over."  Of course, it gets
pretty frustrating to hear the same mistake 35 times in a row, but if
you correct the child, make sure your kid doesn't feel put down and
lose confidence in his ability to figure things out for himself.  Ask
the teacher's advice about how you should comment on the child's
playing at home.

If the teacher doesn't have any intelligent advice to offer about
getting a kid to practice, then you should find another teacher.
Sometimes people make the mistake of thinking that any old teacher is
good enough for a beginner.  But actually this is the most important
stage, and an experienced and skillful teacher is well worth the
extra money, as long as they know how to teach kids -- which is a
very different matter from teaching college students.  I was very
fortunate in my first teacher, so that playing the piano is now
second nature to me.

There is a book that I like, *Your Child and the Piano* by Margaret
Grant, so you might want to look for that.  For a young child, be
happy if he or she learns that music is enjoyable and rewarding --
that's the main goal at this stage.  The great artists are the ones
for whom music-making is a joyful activity and who couldn't live
without music.

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

king@kestrel.ARPA (09/15/85)

In article <2578@pegasus.UUCP>, dsl@pegasus.UUCP (David S. Levine) writes:
> I have a 6 year old daughter who take piano lessons weekly.
> If she puts her mind to it she is an excellent player.
> Practice, however, is a nightmare. Either she totally refuses to practice
> or she fools around and turns what should be a 20 minute practice session
> into a two hour ordeal.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas on how to motivate her to practice.
>
> 		Thanks
> 		David Levine
> 		pegasus!dsl

uh, Dave?  Why do you want to "get" your six-year-old to practice?

Back off a few months - It'll either come or it wont.

Do tell her that she doesn't get lessions if she doesn't practice...

-dick

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (09/16/85)

<you can't practice anymore>

Note:  This is STella Calvert, a guest on ...decvax!frog!wjr.  Flame me!

In article <2578@pegasus.UUCP> dsl@pegasus.UUCP (David S. Levine) writes:
>Practice, however, is a nightmare. Either she totally refuses to practice
>or she fools around and turns what should be a 20 minute practice session
>into a two hour ordeal.
>
>I would appreciate any ideas on how to motivate her to practice.

I am not a parent, so this may be a lousy idea.  However, have you considered
telling her she can ONLY practice for 30 minutes a day?  At least this
eliminates the two hour ordeal and related aversive conditioning.  If she's as
pig-headed as I was as a kid, it might result in her practicing for hours.

(It has been suggested that I haven't out-grown that pig-headedness....)

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

debbiem@rruxe.UUCP (D. McBurnett) (09/16/85)

Ya gotta wanna!

I started piano lessons when I was eight, and I didn't much care
to practice some days, either.  My parents attitute was, "hey, this
is not free;  if we are going to shell out the bucks, then you'd
better practice; if you don't practice, you don't want to learn
to play badly enough, and we quit paying."  They relied on progress
reports from the teacher.  Once I realized they were for real, I
practiced more diligently, but after a couple of years, I was tired
of it and told them so.  I took up the piano again a couple of years
later under the same system, with a good deal more motivation
because of their philosophy and how it had previously worked.

One of the requirements of this system is that you leave it strictly
up to the child as to when and how she practices.  No hovering, no
nagging.  If you can't stand the sound of the practicing, go work in
the basement on something equally noisy, like making bookshelves, or
go outside and work on the yard.

If your child wishes to learn to play, this approach ought to be
motivation enough.  If is isn't, I'd guess SHE isn't the one who
wants her to be taking the lessons.

Debbie McBurnett
rruxe!debbiem

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (09/16/85)

>I started piano lessons when I was eight, and I didn't much care
>to practice some days, either.  My parents attitute was, "hey, this
>is not free;  if we are going to shell out the bucks, then you'd
>better practice; if you don't practice, you don't want to learn
>to play badly enough, and we quit paying."  They relied on progress
>reports from the teacher.  Once I realized they were for real, I
>practiced more diligently, but after a couple of years, I was tired
>of it and told them so.  I took up the piano again a couple of years
>later under the same system, with a good deal more motivation
>because of their philosophy and how it had previously worked.

Telling a child "no practice, no lessons" may be useful with some
children, adolescents in particular, but in many cases I think the
result would be that the child loses interest in the lessons.  The
child must learn that learning to play a musical instrument, like any
worthwhile accomplishment, requires a certain amount of work on a
regular basis, and parents can help to make that work more rewarding
and worthwhile for the child.  For example, you can help with
scheduling practice times, encouraging your child when he/she gets
discouraged, being nearby when the child practices, sharing your love
of music, etc.  But what do you think would happen if you told a kid
who didn't like to do homework, "You must do your homework or you
will have to quit school"?  A better way is to try to understand his
reluctance and see if you can help him find an inner motivation to
study.  On the other hand, if the child really is not interested at
all in music lessons, then the lessons should be stopped.

A problem that boys sometimes have is that their peers regard playing
an instrument as a "sissy" activity, unless it is a "male" instrument
like the trombone.  This may not be as much of a problem as formerly,
but I'm sure there are some fathers out there who are afraid their
boy will turn into a faggot if he plays violin instead of football.
I was the first male flutist that my high school band had ever had,
and some of the guys regarded me as something of a freak and probably
questioned my sexual orientation (in spite of the fact that nearly
all top professional flutists have been male).  This is another area
where you can help your child, if he is afraid of being labeled a
sissy (or if your girl wants to play the trumpet), just as you would
help a child who was afraid of being labeled a nerd if he studied
hard and got good grades.

When a young child is taking music lessons, the parents are as
important as the teacher.  When I taught piano to kids about 6 years
old, I ran into some parents whose attitude was, "It's your problem,
you're the teacher; we're paying you to teach them to play piano."
Their kids never learned anything.

Richard Carnes

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) (09/17/85)

[]

It just so happens that I have a six year old (Paul) who has been
playing organ for about a year now.  He is required to put in
20 minutes of practice each night, and there are no games
with mom or dad until the practice is complete.  The 20 minutes
usually ends up being 30, since "time out" for a drink or using
the bathroom do not count toward the practice time.  Also, he
must practice what his lesson is for the next week.  After practice
is done, he is 'allowed' to play anything he wants.  This usually
turns out to be a game of "Name That Tune".  This can last for up
to another 15 or 20 minutes!  He plays the whole song, then mom
and dad have 5 seconds to name that tune!  He will count slowly if
he sees we are having trouble with the name...  Try the "Name that
Tune" trick and you may find that he/she is practicing more than
required!

Phil Gunsul

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) (09/17/85)

From Todd Jones...

>One last note: Many (most) of my peers were forced to learn
>a musical instrument during childhood. As soon as they became
>teenagers, the first thing they did to exhibit independence
>was to refuse to practice their instrument (some even destroyed
>their instruments in open defiance of "martial law").
>This is why I suggest either 1 or 2 or a combination.

These 'peers' must have turned out to be fine adults...

Just one more reason to make me lean in favor of abortion...

Phil Gunsul

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) (09/17/85)

[]

Another thing I did to help my son want to practice was to buy a
music compiler for his computer.  He will enter his music he is
studying that week in his computer and hear what it sounds like.
I'm sure it doesn't do much for his 'style' but I can't help
thinking it has helped his timing...

Phil Gunsul

jennyh@orca.UUCP (Jenny Hecker) (09/17/85)

I'm the youngest of 4 children. My parents pushed the first three to take
piano lessons at an early age; they all quit by the time they got to jr.
high. When I reached piano lessons age, my parents said, "if and when you
**want** lessons, you can have them." I didn't start until I was really
interested (about 5th grade), and I kept them up for four years with
very little pushing. I'm the only one of my siblings that still plays.

...there's a moral in there somewhere!

ned@scirtp.UUCP (Ned Robie) (09/18/85)

One of the most effective and fruitful methods for a child to learn
an instrument is to practice with parents.  If the child and parent
reserve 30-45 minutes each day to practice together, amazing results
can be achieved.

My son started playing violin about 5 years ago at age 5.  At first we
had to move our hand to show him how to move the bow.  He didn't seem
to have any natural ability.  Even his first teacher said (to his second
teacher) that she didn't think there was much hope.  But he wanted to learn
violin and we were determined to make some headway.

We spent 30-45 minutes a day practicing together under the teacher's
direction.  My wife and I didn't actually learn the instrument too, we just
acted like tutors during the practices.  We quickly began to appreciate why
practicing every day can be a drag for kids... after a few months even we
were looking for excuses not to do it.  But all the sweat (and tears) of
previous months kept us going -- and we certainly didn't want to look like
quitters in front of our own son.

Now, five years later, he is very good for his age.  He knows it and is
proud of it.  He's good enough so that he could do something with it later
in life if HE chooses to.  We just wanted him to have that choice.  We still
practice together, and although he'd still rather go outside and play, read
a book, or watch TV, he'd never give it up.

-- Ned Robie

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (09/18/85)

In article <190@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:

>A problem that boys sometimes have is that their peers regard playing
>an instrument as a "sissy" activity, unless it is a "male" instrument
>like the trombone.  This may not be as much of a problem as formerly,
>but I'm sure there are some fathers out there who are afraid their
>boy will turn into a faggot if he plays violin instead of football.

I don't think these fathers are afraid their sons will become homosexual.
They fear that even if their sons develop a heterosexual orientation,
that they won't be "manly" enough in other ways.

>I was the first male flutist that my high school band had ever had,
>and some of the guys regarded me as something of a freak and probably
>questioned my sexual orientation (in spite of the fact that nearly
>all top professional flutists have been male).

We had two male flutists (flautists?) in my high school band.
One was a homosexual; the other switched to trombone in the 10th grade.
Though most top professional flutists are male, these fathers still
question whether most professional flutists are sufficiently macho
to serve as desired role models for their sons.

>This is another area where you can help your child, if he is afraid
>of being labeled a sissy (or if your girl wants to play the trumpet),
>just as you would help a child who was afraid of being labeled a nerd
>if he studied hard and got good grades.

How can you help such a child, other than by moving to a neighborhood
that shares your values?  If a child grows up without the respect and
approval of his peers, he may never have opportunity to develop his
leadership skills.  This can hurt him no matter what career he chooses.

	Frank Silbermann

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/20/85)

>>This is another area where you can help your child, if he is afraid
>>of being labeled a sissy (or if your girl wants to play the trumpet),
>>just as you would help a child who was afraid of being labeled a nerd
>>if he studied hard and got good grades. [Richard Carnes]
>
>How can you help such a child, other than by moving to a neighborhood
>that shares your values?  If a child grows up without the respect and
>approval of his peers, he may never have opportunity to develop his
>leadership skills.  This can hurt him no matter what career he chooses.
>
>	Frank Silbermann

I have to agree with Richard here.  Leadership skills are generally
founded in self-respect and self-confidence.  A child can develop these
without the approval of his peers, if he has the support and approval
of his family.  (Believe me, I am speaking from first-hand experience.)

		charli

steph@graffiti.UUCP (stephanie da silva) (09/23/85)

The favorable reactions I received from other people on hearing my playing was
always an incentive for me to practice.

What I don't understand is, why would you want to force a child onto an
instrument? Unless that child shows natural aptitude towards it, or else
musical talent runs in your family, I would suggest channeling his energies
towards something that he's interested in or shows promise in.

Do you know what you get when you "force" a child to take piano lessons?

A mediocre piano player.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/01/85)

In article <228@graffiti.UUCP> steph@graffiti.UUCP (stephanie da silva) writes:
>What I don't understand is, why would you want to force a child onto an
>instrument? Unless that child shows natural aptitude towards it, or else
>musical talent runs in your family, I would suggest channeling his energies
>towards something that he's interested in or shows promise in.
>
>Do you know what you get when you "force" a child to take piano lessons?
>
>A mediocre piano player.

That's if you and the child are lucky.  My parents pressured me into  piano
and  violin lessons as a child (a very musical family, I had a violin in my
hands at the age of two (!), piano at  four).  The  result  of  nearly  ten
years  of  childhood  violin  lessons  and  a year of piano is I don't play
either instrument _at all_.

I'm not an unmusical person.  I have an excellent ear, and am a better than
average guitar player.  I haven't picked up a violin in 20 years.

If your kids  show  interest  in  learning  an  instrument,  by  all  means
encourage  them.  Praise and reward for doing well, or even trying, are the
way to go. _DO NOT_ coerce them into practicing or punish them in  any  way
for  not  practicing  or  doing  as well as you think they should.  If they
change their minds and decide they don't want to learn an  instrument  now,
that  has  to  be  their  decision.  Forcing them in any way will only make
matters worse.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (10/09/85)

I was going to mail this , but it seems there are tons of folks
who ought to read this complaint.

PLEASE, don't post simple responses to queries!!! THe original question,
several weeks back, simply asked for advice on getting a kid to practice.
It's tiring and boring to plow through dozens of similar postings all
of which (with a few decent exceptions) say either "use carrot", "use stick",
or "stay out of it".
If all responses were by mail and the original poster posted a compilation
of said responses, I'd love to see it. As it's been going , I'm
afraid to read this group.

Naturally, if you either agree OR disagree, please MAIL responses. I don't
want to bother others reading this group.
thanks

        Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl
	@ Adaptive Optics Assoc., 54 Cambridgepark Dr.
	Cambridge, MA 02140	617-864-0201
" Buffet-Crampon R-13 , VanDoren B-45, and VanDoren Fortes ."