[net.kids] Child biting

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/08/85)

>I bit her back - not hard to hurt but
>it left a slight impression.

I hate to say this, but I was cured of biting.  My mother bit
me back "hard to hurt".  It was a great object lesson in how
it feels to be on the other end.  And it has a great logical
justice about it.

I still remember it.  There was this sudden flash that other
people had feelings just like me...

I think I came out of this with no psychological scars.  (My
mother might disagree--she thinks I am weird because I am
against war, and I believe in love and equality and all that
liberal stuff...) But it's not the sort of thing I like to
recommend, because someone is bound to scream "child abuse."
Luckily, the issue never came up with mine, or at least went
away without my resorting to violence.

It's possible that any of the methods you mention may work,
but it will just take longer.  Keep at it by whatever of those
ways seems most comfortable--don't give up, and don't change
methods.

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (10/11/85)

In article <183@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>>I bit her back - not hard to hurt but
>>it left a slight impression.
>
>I hate to say this, but I was cured of biting.  My mother bit
>me back "hard to hurt".  It was a great object lesson in how
>I still remember it.  There was this sudden flash that other
>people had feelings just like me...

I used a similar method after our boy started to walk and understand
us.  He needed to learn to stay away from the hot stove, but it
seemed unlikely he'd remember why.  Fortunately, this coincided with
one of his stages where he connects words immediately with concepts.

So I filled a cup with hot water.  Not hot enough to scald, but
hot enough to be uncomfortable.  I asked him to touch it gently (he
understood "gently") and then was able to explain what "hot"
meant, why he should stay away from stove, and as a bonus, what "hurt"
means.  (No, I'm not cruel.  Reread what I just said.)

You parents and linguists know why I left for later the precision
of warm/hot and uncomfortable/hurt...All he needed were the
concepts.

I had not expected that he'd immediately start identifying food
as being "hot" or "not hot".  He was able to quickly learn to
cool his food down on his own.  Aren't kids smart?
--

Scot E. Wilcoxon	Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.      circadia!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N / 93 15 W	(612)481-3507 {ihnp4,uwvax}!dicomed!mecc!sewilco

jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) (10/15/85)

> I hate to say this, but I was cured of biting.  My mother bit
> me back "hard to hurt".  It was a great object lesson in how
> it feels to be on the other end.  And it has a great logical
> justice about it.
>
> I still remember it.  There was this sudden flash that other
> people had feelings just like me...

My mother cured me of using nasty words by threatening to cut my tongue
out.  (She was holding a butcher knife and told me to stick it out where
she could get it.)  I still have a hard time using naughty words!  But
hey, you've got to tame those little critters some how.  Every kid I've
seen who's been brought up without a spanking has also been brought up
without a concept of disipline (sp), at least into kindergarden (God knows
how those kindergarden teachers straighten them out).
                           Jeff McQuinn just VAXing around

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (10/18/85)

> My mother cured me of using nasty words by threatening to cut my tongue
> out.  (She was holding a butcher knife and told me to stick it out where
> she could get it.)...

Not to be rude or anything, but a parent should never make a threat that
they do not intend to follow through with.  If a child calls your bluff
once, your job can only get more difficult.  Of course, there are plenty
of other things that your mother could have threatened you with.  I
believe my wife got hot sauce in the mouth once.
--

                     Back on the freeway, which is already in progress,
		     Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)