[net.kids] cut tongue out

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (11/10/85)

> > My mother cured me of using nasty words by threatening to cut my tongue
> > out.  (She was holding a butcher knife and told me to stick it out where
> > she could get it.)...
>
> Not to be rude or anything, but a parent should never make a threat that
> they do not intend to follow through with.

Maybe she did intend to cut it out!  Not all mothers are sane.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

> > > My mother cured me of using nasty words by threatening to cut my tongue
> > > out.  (She was holding a butcher knife and told me to stick it out where
> > > she could get it.)...
> > Not to be rude or anything, but a parent should never make a threat that
> > they do not intend to follow through with.
> Maybe she did intend to cut it out!  Not all mothers are sane.

	When I was a kid, I was threatened with having my mouth washed out with
soap.  I never believed it until one day I did in fact have a bar of soap
forcibly shoved in my mouth.  I took admonishment about using nasty language
much more seriously after that...
	The moral of the story in my case being that at least one parental
threat ACTUALLY being carried out went a long, long way...

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	             ihnp4!/               ===
===									   ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===

rdp@teddy.UUCP (11/11/85)

In article <568@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	When I was a kid, I was threatened with having my mouth washed out with
>soap.  I never believed it until one day I did in fact have a bar of soap
>forcibly shoved in my mouth.  I took admonishment about using nasty language
>much more seriously after that...

Once again, I am reminded of the story my grandmother told about my father.

One day, my father (as a significantly young person) was banging around with
a hammer when he accidently hit his thumb. "GODDAMN IT!" he exclaimed. His
mother, of very proper New England Congregationalist upbringing, promptly
grabbed him, and proceeded to wash his mouth out with a bar of Fell's Naptha,
reputed to be the most vile of bar soaps. His response, after gagging and
sputtering, was, "Mother, that tasted just like shit!"

Some people NEVER learn, I guess.