[net.kids] New Parent Queries

g4int@ihlpl.UUCP (Gezik) (11/05/85)

I've recently become a new father to a perky baby boy and have some questions
for you more experienced parents. First of all my little guy seems to cry more
than I think is the norm, if there is a norm for this type of beahaviour.
My wife is nursing so we really don't know how much he is eating so the first
course of action is trying to feed him. He's 3 weeks old and has gained about
1.5 lbs since coming home from the hospital. I would guess that this increase inweight is good indication that he is not crying due to hunger. Diaper changes   seem to invoke a his crying as does bath time. We've also been wondering why hiscord has not fallen off since every book we read mentions that this should occurat about 10-14 days.

We have called the pediatrician a couple times and he has assured us that this  is pretty normal behaviour. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As most of you can guess, this is our first child.

Thanks in advance.

--
ANDY G at ihlpl!g4int

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (11/06/85)

Here's a hint we found helpful when our son was an infant:
When the kid starts crying, start a stopwatch.  We found that we
were overestimating his crying time by at least 10x.
One minor point.  Kids seem to keep themselves going when crying indoors,
especially in acoustically "live" rooms.  If possible, try stepping outside.
(Don't forget to bring the baby!)
Enjoy,  Harvey S. Cohen

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (11/07/85)

> I've recently become a new father to a perky baby boy and have some questions
> for you more experienced parents. First of all my little guy seems to cry more
> than I think is the norm, if there is a norm for this type of beahaviour.

My experiences (5 year old & 16 month old) indicate there is no such thing
as a norm. My 5 year old was a Mommy-parasite who cried more often than not
about anything and nothing. It was hell, but as he grew up he became very
independent and generally quite happy. My 16 month old is exhibiting the
same tendencies. The kids both attend "school" in the mornings, but spend
the afternoon with their Mom. We have convinced ourselves that they are
exhibiting "learned domination" (as opposed to learned helplessness) and
are testing us to see just how high we will jump at their insistence.

> My wife is nursing so we really don't know how much he is eating so the first
> course of action is trying to feed him. He's 3 weeks old and has gained about
> 1.5 lbs since coming home from the hospital.

1.5 lbs. seems to indicate you've got quite a thriving baby on your hands.

> I would guess that this increase
> inweight is good indication that he is not crying due to hunger. Diaper
> changes seem to invoke a his crying as does bath time. We've also been
> wondering why hiscord has not fallen off since every book we read mentions
> that this should occurat about 10-14 days.

Check with your pediatrician about this.

   ||   || /
   [ O O ]/       Todd "Daddy" Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | o |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/09/85)

In article <388@ihlpl.UUCP>, g4int@ihlpl.UUCP (Gezik) writes:
> I've recently become a new father to a perky baby boy and have some questions
> for you more experienced parents. First of all my little guy seems to cry more
> than I think is the norm, if there is a norm for this type of beahaviour.

No.  There is no norm.  Perhaps he has colic.  If so, just grin and
bear it.  Lots of kids do (seems to be a digestive disorder which is a
*normal* occurrence).  My son (now 4) cried every night from 6 until
10 or so.  On and off.  Mostly on.  For 3 months.  Then we sold him.
(NO!!  JUST KIDDING!!!) He also wet his diaper -- during the firt
month? -- about once every 30 minutes and cried to be changed. (Read a
book -- tells you kids don't mind sitting in wet diapers.  He did!)
Then he went through a phase were he screamed every time his diaper
was changed.  Nice.  You're up to your elbows in yuck and he's not
even grateful! ("OK, kid.  Change it yourself...") He got over it and
dosn't do any of that anymore. (Well, he *is* 4 now...)

Our daughter did none of the above (now 2.5).

In almost all cases, if he is nursing he is getting enough to eat.
Some say that baby's crying helps them grow. (My grandmother says
this.  But I bet the pediatrician says soemthing sounding more
profound, but meanig the same thing.)

When things get tough, read Psalms 127 and 128 and see that God
regards children as a blessing -- a reward form him. (I agree!) God is
never wrong.  He does have a sense of humor though....

Hang in there,
Fred

g4int@ihlpl.UUCP (Gezik) (11/22/85)

I would like to send out a heart felt note of thanks to all those people
who responded to the questions I had about my new son Matthew. Matt is now
six weeks old and doing fantastic. He's almost 11 pounds and healthy as a
horse according to our pediatrician. The crying seems to have tapered off
and he seems really happy. It's absolutely amazing how much he has changed
since my initial posting.

Once again , thank you to all you netter's for your words of encouragement
and experience.

					Andy Gezik
--
					ANDY @ g4int!ihlpl