[net.kids] $$$$$ for TEETH

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/04/85)

Not wanting to have a big discussion on this but what is
the going rate for the tooth fairy now a days???

It has been years since I buried a toth under a pillow |-)

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (11/05/85)

> Not wanting to have a big discussion on this but what is
> the going rate for the tooth fairy now a days???
>
> It has been years since I buried a toth under a pillow |-)

Unless your kids have already assigned a relative value to a certain
amount of money (i.e., 10 cents is "not able to buy anything"), I
would say it doesn't really matter.  I think my exchange rate has
been 1 tooth = 10 cents (10c can't buy much for me, anyway).
--

                     "My heart is black and my lips are cold..."
                     Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (11/06/85)

In article <1973@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
>Not wanting to have a big discussion on this but what is
>the going rate for the tooth fairy now a days???
>
>It has been years since I buried a toth under a pillow |-)

The going rate around OUR house is $0.25.  We are often bombarded with
information that at xyz's house, it is $0.50 or $1, but then, xyz isn't
one of 6 ...

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!gordon
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 5302 Betsy Ross Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95054
*UNTIL THE MOVE*
 AT&T:   (408)745-1440
*AFTER THE MOVE*
 AT&T:   (408)727-1234

 1) Down 72 pounds, and need to gain a couple back ...
 2) THE MOVE is this weekend - communications lost from 08Nov until ?

joan@ISM780.UUCP (11/07/85)

>> going rate for the tooth fairy now a days???

     Interesting side issue:  How many parents these days
  encourage their children to believe in Santa Claus, Easter
  Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc?

     When my brother and I were munchkins (I'm 21 now and he's
  19), Mom and Dad never told us that any of those guys were real
  (and I'm glad they didn't).  We knew the legends, and we would
  make an occasional humorous remark about "Look what Santa/Tooth
  Fairy left for me", but we always knew that the stuff was
  really coming from Mom and Dad.  It wasn't till I was a bit
  older that I realized that a lot of my friends really believed
  in Santa.

     I would suspect that this kind of thing becomes less common
  from one generation to the next.  Am I right?

		      Joan "the VMS group is moving mountains" Alexander
		      Interactive Systems,
		      Santa Monica, CA

		      cca!ima!ism780!alexander
		      decvax!vortex!ism780!alexander

     "Opinions expressed herein were not mine originally, but
      were forced on me at gunpoint by the Interactive Systems
      Corporation"

wildstar@nmtvax.UUCP (11/11/85)

     In our family ( *years* ago, it is quite broken up by now ), my parents
never gave out money for losing primary teeth, as they did not want to
encourage bad perceptions or habits about dental care.  I would respectfully
suggest that myths about "tooth fairies" be strongly discouraged for that
reason, or at the very least, combined with lectures on the importance of
keeping teeth intact and where they belong!

spangler@kvue.UUCP (Lance Spangler) (11/14/85)

	Someone recently asked for the going rate for toofs [sic] that are
put under the pillow.  At our home, the six year old has just lost his
first two teeth.  In my day, it was a nickle or dime.  But Ra, (his name)
told his mother and myself that "ALL THE KIDS receive at least 50 cents
when they loose their toofs."
	And for what it's worth, the best way to pull his teeth has turned
out to be:
		Have him lay quietly on the bed.
		Talk about anything but the tooth
		Pull downward, and forward quickly (for bottom teeth)
	He told us that a string and a door knob were just too scary, but
he would consider it for tooth number three.

{ihnp4,seismo,gatech,harvard,ctvax,nbires,ucbvax}!ut-sally!kvue!spangler
	Telco: 512-459-6521 (Ext. 2068)		Lance Spangler
	Telco: 512-459-1433 (Pvt. biz line) 	Senior Producer
 						KVUE Television
	       The only thing we have to        Austin, Texas
	       fear is computing itself! <:-)) 	((P. O. Box 9927))
	       					  zip------> 78766

smuga@mtuxo.UUCP (j.smuga) (11/15/85)

>      In our family ( *years* ago, it is quite broken up by now ), my parents
> never gave out money for losing primary teeth, as they did not want to
> encourage bad perceptions or habits about dental care.  I would respectfully
> suggest that myths about "tooth fairies" be strongly discouraged for that
> reason, or at the very least, combined with lectures on the importance of
> keeping teeth intact and where they belong!

Aw, don't be a spoilsport - some things should be done just for fun!

Anyway, I could justify the practice by pointing out that it
emphasizes how precious the teeth are - gee, they're even collected by
a fairy when they come out.

Janet Smuga			I've had a great many troubles in my time,
ihnp4!mtuxo!smuga		and most of them never happened.

smkindersley@water.UUCP (sumo kindersley) (11/15/85)

--
> never gave out money for losing primary teeth, as they did not want to
> encourage bad perceptions or habits about dental care.  ...

oh come on! losing baby teeth can hurt and often involves blood.
it could be a bit scary to a child; lectures only make it sound
more serious; it's right and natural to lose baby teeth. a tooth
fairy makes it *special* to lose them, not frightening. i can't
believe that kids might decide to remove their adult teeth too?
or stop brushing? or pull ok teeth? also, the TF made it easier
to get us kids [[to allow mom or dad]] to remove a recalcitrant
tooth (manually) that might be crowding its successor.

sumo

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/18/85)

> 	Someone recently asked for the going rate for toofs [sic] that are
> put under the pillow.  At our home, the six year old has just lost his
> first two teeth.  In my day, it was a nickle or dime.  But Ra, (his name)
> told his mother and myself that "ALL THE KIDS receive at least 50 cents
> when they loose their toofs."

I always got a dime. I had friends that got a quarter and
others that got a dollar. And this was over twenty years ago.
My step kids get a quarter. Don't you wish this level of
inflation held for everything?

> 	And for what it's worth, the best way to pull his teeth has turned
> out to be:

My parents NEVER pulled my teeth. They would occassionally
"help" if I'd ask, but certainly not initiate the issue. (My
dad did joke about doorknobs and such, but we knew he was
kidding.) The tooth will come out with very little pain when
it is ready. If there is a lot of pain, the tooth isn't ready
to come out. I will NOT pull my children's teeth; if asked, I
may help loosen it, but, as was done with me, this will have
to be at the child's request, I won't initiate it.

As for rewarding the loss of baby teeth, I agree with those
who have said it serves as a means of impressing the
importance of permanent teeth and, in contemporary American society is
a rite of growing up. Should the kids lose permanent teeth, I
doubt the tooth fairy will choose to visit.
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/21/85)

> >      In our family ( *years* ago, it is quite broken up by now ), my parents
> > never gave out money for losing primary teeth, as they did not want to
> > encourage bad perceptions or habits about dental care.  I would respectfully
> > suggest that myths about "tooth fairies" be strongly discouraged for that
> > reason, or at the very least, combined with lectures on the importance of
> > keeping teeth intact and where they belong!
>

> Aw, don't be a spoilsport - some things should be done just for fun!

FACT: About 5 years old and your teeth start to loosen up and fall out.
The kid is worried to say the least and even if they brush them 30 hours a
day, them suckers are coming out. They might say "I brush and they still
come out. The heck with it".

lbo@ihlpl.UUCP (Oberlander) (11/26/85)

My wife recently had a wisdom tooth extracted, and left it under her
pillow that night for the tooth fairy.  The tooth fairy and I
conferred about what would be appropriate compensation for her
wisdom tooth; we settled on a miniature bottle of gin.

Of course, she is over 21, so this won't help most of those
concerned with this question.

				Lew Oberlander
				IH 6M-529, x2548
				ihwld!lbo