[net.kids] Morning sickness

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/21/85)

My wife Lucy is pregnant, about 6 weeks' worth.  She is developing a
serious problem with morning sickness.  When she was pregnant with
Todd (our other child), she had morning sickness so badly that we
stopped calling it that; it was all-day sickness.  She was so ill that
she didn't leave our apartment for almost 2 solid months (mostly the
2nd and 3rd month) because such basic maneuvers as standing up made
her feel like throwing up again.  After the end of the 3rd month,
she started feeling OK again, and the remainder of that pregnancy was
utterly uneventful.  (And Todd was 9lbs, 15oz at birth!  Whew!)

She is giving strong indication that this is all going to happen again
this time.  She threw up three times yesterday, and felt pretty crummy
all day.  As you might guess, this leads to some fairly substantial
depression, because she gets to a point where she just doesn't bloody
well give a damn any more.  I try to help, but there's just so much
that you can do for a person for whom motion is a Bad Thing.  There is
the added complication this time that Todd, being a normal, healthy,
wonderful 2-year-old, wants Mommy to play a lot, and Mommy just isn't
psyched.

Last time, Lucy's OB/GYN prescribed Bendectin in fairly large
quantities, which seemed to help a good bit, but not completely.
Unfortunately, now Bendectin has been taken off the market, much to
our and Lucy's new doctor's dismay.  But the doctor says that
Bendectin was mostly vitamin B6, plus a few other goodies thrown in
for good measure.

So, the $2 trillion question is:  Does anybody have any suggestions on
what to do about this sort of problem?  Do you know of any (safe!)
`home remedies' that are known to help with morning sickness?  Is B6
really a good substitute for Bendectin?  Why was Bendectin taken off
the market anyway?  Is the moon made of green cheese?  Do elephants
eat chocolate-covered manhole covers?

Any suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated.
--
Karl Kleinpaste

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (11/23/85)

> So, the $2 trillion question is:  Does anybody have any suggestions on
> what to do about this sort of problem?  Do you know of any (safe!)
> `home remedies' that are known to help with morning sickness?  Is B6
> really a good substitute for Bendectin?  Why was Bendectin taken off
> the market anyway?  Is the moon made of green cheese?  Do elephants
> eat chocolate-covered manhole covers?

	Bendectin was yanked from the market because it was found to cause
birth defects in the children whose mothers took it during pregnancy. You
should be GLAD it is no longer available. Your wife may try eating dry
crackers (an old remedy) and (my cure for nausea in general) lots of
candied or pickled ginger. This helps settle your stomach and is great for
sea sickness too.
--
jcpatilla

Mountain View is paid a diplomatic visit by giant Lunar reptiles
that want our hot tubs but can't find any so they leave.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Lisa Avolio) (11/23/85)

This from my wife:

    Funny you should ask...  Yesterday I talked to a friend with
similar problems.  Her doctor recommended that she take large doses of
vitamin B6 because that was the main ingredient in Bendectin, which
also contains an antihistamine as well.  Although her vomiting did not
disappear, she was at least able to function the days she faithfully
took B6.

    Bendectin tablets contain 10 mg of B6, so your wife was probably
taking 30 mg a day.  B6 is not dangerous, and an anti-nauseant effect
has been proven in some studies.  I would recommend that your wife
take 50 mg of B6 daily for at least a couple of weeks to see if she
feels better. (Not great, but better.)

    I myself am 10 weeks pregnant.  With my two previous pregnancies I
was nauseous a good two months, but this time, with 50 mg B6 daily
from the start, my nausea disappeared after 2 1/2 weeks.  I realize
this is not proof, but continuing with B6 can't hurt.  A lot of other
pregnancy books have mentioned it for morning-sickness as well.

    I hope it helps.

	Lisa Avolio
--

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (11/25/85)

I have no direct experience with morning sickness, but I checked in
Jane Brody's Nutrition Book mostly to see if she mentions B-6.  She
doesn't, but for morning sickness she says," Although it's precise
cause is unknown, there is some indication that it's related to a
drop in blood sugar. Eating lots of small, protein-containing meals
throughout the day helps many women.  It's best not to let yourself
get too hungry. The time-honored remedy of eating dry crackers
immediately upon awakening - before you've even lifted your head off
the pillow - also helps.  PUT THE CRACKERS ON YOUR NIGHT TABLE BEFORE
YOU GO TO BED. Save your morning juice or fruit for the end of
breakfast.  Or have it at some other meal.  Also, give yourself extra
time to get ready in the morning, since the stress of rushing
contributes to the problem.  If you go to work, carry something with
you for a midmorning snack.  If your "morning sickness" strikes in the
evening, try the dry crackers routine or a substantial snack half
an hour before the expected onset."

I hope that helps.
					Beth Katz
					{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!beth

tupper@wanginst.UUCP (John Tupper) (11/25/85)

In article <855@osu-eddie.UUCP> karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>My wife Lucy is pregnant, about 6 weeks' worth.  She is developing a
>serious problem with morning sickness.

My sister-in-law was allergic to the prenatal vitamins that her doctor
prescribed.  After several months, someone suggested she stop taking them
for awhile a she felt immediatly better. Chances are, this isn't your wife's
problem, but it might be worth a try.
--
John Tupper                              tupper@wanginst        (Csnet)
Wang Institute of Graduate Studies       wanginst!tupper        (UUCP)

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (11/26/85)

In article <855@osu-eddie.UUCP> karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>So, the $2 trillion question is:  Does anybody have any suggestions on
>what to do about this sort of problem?  Do you know of any (safe!)
>`home remedies' that are known to help with morning sickness?  Is B6
>really a good substitute for Bendectin?  Why was Bendectin taken off
>the market anyway?

	Bendectin was taken of the market because of the high
	rate of birth defects associated with its use
	(it was almost as bad as thalimide (sp?)).

	As for taking B-6, BEWARE. This particular vitamin is
	 currently under study. It seems that large doses may
	be responsible for some nerve damage in some cases that
	have come to light recently. This is why it is on the
	list of vitamins whose daily recomended dosage is
	slated to be REDUCED - not elevated.

	I'm sorry that this info isn't too helpful on
	helping your wife. I've not heard of any substitutes.
	I hope she feels better soon.

	Hang-in there. Best wishes,
		P.M.Pincha-Wagener

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/26/85)

> My wife Lucy is pregnant, about 6 weeks' worth.  She is developing a
> serious problem with morning sickness.
>
> She is giving strong indication that this is all going to happen again
> this time.  She threw up three times yesterday, and felt pretty crummy
> all day.
>
> So, the $2 trillion question is:  Does anybody have any suggestions on
> what to do about this sort of problem?

Whatever you do, don't stand in front of her|-).

Sorry, my wife and I have had three tax writeoffs and she never had that
problem. The best advice, of course, is to contact you doctor for his/her
advice. Medicines counteract each other, sometimes, so it pays to check
it out.

rdm2@nvuxr.UUCP (R McBurnett) (11/26/85)

In article <855@osu-eddie.UUCP> karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>My wife Lucy is pregnant, about 6 weeks' worth.  She is developing a
>serious problem with morning sickness.... Does anybody have any suggestions on
>what to do about this sort of problem?  Do you know of any (safe!)
>`home remedies' that are known to help with morning sickness?  Is B6
>really a good substitute for Bendectin?
>Any suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated.
>--
>Karl Kleinpaste

My wife also had a problem with her last pregnancy.  She had a string of
illnesses from 2 months thru 6 months, when she discovered vitamin B6 and
a B complex stress formula with lots of zinc.  Presto no more sick!! The
change was like night and day.

Debbie also has hypoglycemia (which many pregnant ladies exhibit).  Eating
a very well balanced diet (matching proteans and carbohydrates) helped
her during the pregnancy.

I would recommend a vitamin supplement that has lots of B6, the B
complex stress formula w/zinc and a balanced diet.

Roe D McBurnett,  Bell Comunications Research	  |these are my own
201 758 2333		ihnp4!packard!nvuxr!rdm2  |rantings not Bellcore's

susan@madvax.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (11/26/85)

>     Bendectin tablets contain 10 mg of B6, so your wife was probably
> taking 30 mg a day.  B6 is not dangerous, and an anti-nauseant effect
> has been proven in some studies.  I would recommend that your wife
> take 50 mg of B6 daily for at least a couple of weeks to see if she
> feels better. (Not great, but better.)

Do be careful with B6.  Megadoses can be dangerous.  My physician
suggested not going over the 100 mg level, and I am not pregnant.  He
also said that 1000 + mg was PROBABLY where a dangerous dose started,
but why chance it?  I'd keep close touch with my OB.  He's getting
paid to know about such stuff.

  Susan Finkelman
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!susan

jacobson@fluke.UUCP (David Jacobson) (11/26/85)

> >Why was Bendectin taken off
> >the market anyway?
>
> 	Bendectin was taken of the market because of the high
> 	rate of birth defects associated with its use
> 	(it was almost as bad as thalimide (sp?)).

> 	Hang-in there. Best wishes,
> 		P.M.Pincha-Wagener

My recollection of the Bendectin thing was exactly the opposite.  There were
numerous studies that showed that there was no difference in the rate of
birth defects in the babies of women taking Bendectin vs. those who weren't.
Unfortunately there is a certain rate of birth defects, even when no drugs
are taken.  In our society there is a great tendency for people who have
some misfortune befall them (ie a defective baby) to run to a lawyer and
sue.  The lawyers encourage this with contingency based fee systems.  It
happened often enough that juries would award a large judgement out of
sympathy with the family, regardless of whether a cause and effect
ralationship had been established, that Bendectin was finally removed
from the market.

  -- David Jacobson   ... ihnp4!uw-beaver!fluke!jacobson

This opinion is solely my own and does not necessarily represent that
of John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

swb@lasspvax.UUCP (Scott Brim) (11/27/85)

In article <706@decuac.UUCP> avolio@decuac.UUCP (Lisa Avolio) writes:
>.................  Her doctor recommended that she take large doses of
>vitamin B6 .................
>...................  B6 is not dangerous, and an anti-nauseant effect
>has been proven in some studies.

B6 is good stuff for nausea, but don't take TOO much for TOO long.  It
can lead to the baby's not utilizing B6 properly and a number of
secondary effects.  I don't have references handy but if you ask I'll
dig up some real numbers on what "too much" might be.  On the other
hand it's probably better to ask your local nutritionist.
							Scott
--
Scott Brim	607-256-8686
Arpanet: swb@devvax.tn.cornell.edu

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (11/27/85)

I just asked Karen about B6.  She told me that in general, mega-doses
of B complex vitamins are dangerous, and just discontinuing them doesn't
help, because they accumulate in your fat cells.  The notion that you
can always take vitamins and that they are totally safe is a dangerous
notion, especially when pregnant.

Karen is not an MD (she's an Advanced EMT) but in general, consult your
doctor before you try B6.

	Mark

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (11/27/85)

In article <1029@vax2.fluke.UUCP> jacobson@fluke.UUCP (David Jacobson) writes:
>> >Why was Bendectin taken off
>> >the market anyway?
>>
>> 	Bendectin was taken of the market because of the high
>> 	rate of birth defects associated with its use
>> 	(it was almost as bad as thalimide (sp?)).
>>
>> 	Hang-in there. Best wishes,
>> 		P.M.Pincha-Wagener
>
>My recollection of the Bendectin thing was exactly the opposite.  There were
>numerous studies that showed that there was no difference in the rate of
>birth defects in the babies of women taking Bendectin vs. those who weren't.
>Unfortunately there is a certain rate of birth defects, even when no drugs
>are taken.  In our society there is a great tendency for people who have
>some misfortune befall them (ie a defective baby) to run to a lawyer and
>sue.  The lawyers encourage this with contingency based fee systems.  It
>happened often enough that juries would award a large judgement out of
>sympathy with the family, regardless of whether a cause and effect
>ralationship had been established, that Bendectin was finally removed
>from the market.

 I would double check the Science articles back around the first
 half of 1984. The US drug company studies were the ones that
 gave the figures you mentioned above. Independant studies here in
 the US and Great Britian (where it was first banned 2 years earlier
 than the US) indicated otherwise.

 Also be careful with the B-vitamins! Don't megadose out on
 them! B-6 is indicated to cause some nerve damage in abused
 (read megadose) situations! IE. Take only the recomended amount.
 (CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR -- MAKE HIM CHECK! Very often they might
 not be aware of current studies and such.)

P.M.Pincha-Wagener
1984.

pfau@ihuxm.UUCP (l pfau) (11/28/85)

> Last time, Lucy's OB/GYN prescribed Bendectin in fairly large
> quantities, which seemed to help a good bit, but not completely.
> Unfortunately, now Bendectin has been taken off the market, much to
> our and Lucy's new doctor's dismay.  But the doctor says that
> Bendectin was mostly vitamin B6, plus a few other goodies thrown in

The truth about Bendectin: (from a Pharmacist)
bendectin was withdrawn off the market by the manufacturer due to birth
defects caused by it's use during pregnancy. Dow Chemical still doesn't
admit to this fact due to the law suits still pending in the courts.
bendectin is an analog of vitamin B6 which teratogenic studies in
humans have not been done to prove that it is safe and effective for
use in pregnancy. Dont' expect your doctor to admit that there was
anything wrong with Bendectin when he prescribed it during your
wife's last pregnancy.

Charles Pfau, owner, pharmacist Medicine Shoppe, Lockport Ill.

rdm2@nvuxr.UUCP (R McBurnett) (11/29/85)

In article <1640@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>I just asked Karen about B6.  She told me that in general, mega-doses
>of B complex vitamins are dangerous, and just discontinuing them doesn't
>help, because they accumulate in your fat cells.  The notion that you
>can always take vitamins and that they are totally safe is a dangerous
>notion, especially when pregnant.
>
>Karen is not an MD (she's an Advanced EMT) but in general, consult your
>doctor before you try B6.
>
>	Mark
When I recommended B6, I neglected to say what doses my wife took.  She
only got what most doctors recommend as a suppliment:  I think no more
than 50mg per day usually 25mg in the am and 25 in the pm  ( the am was
with the Bcomplex + zinc and the pm dose was just B6.  Certainly do not
take mega-doses of B complex (or any other vitamines) during pregnancy
except under a doctors orders...

Roe D McBurnett,  Bell Comunications Research	  |these are my own
201 758 2333		ihnp4!packard!nvuxr!rdm2  |rantings not Bellcore's

peggy@ism70.UUCP (12/02/85)

I just finished my fourth month of pregnancy, and it wasn't until I changed
vitamins (about 1-1/2 weeks ago) that my nausea went away.  There's
something about the Stuart-Natal prenatal vitamins that made my stomach
feel sour all the time.  I found a comparable 3-a-day vitamin (of
more-or-less the same potency) at my local health food store and I haven't
had any trouble since.

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (12/03/85)

I would like to make a comment about this subject. I am under the
impression that B-vitamins should not be taken by themselves, but as
part of a B-complex, otherwise a potentially harmful imbalance can
result. Thus I could never recommend to anyone to take doses of B-6
alone: it could damage the health of both the mother and the fetus.  My
wife's gynaecologist finally prescribed suppositories for my wife's
morning sickness, which seemed to work. (I have no idea what they
contained, but seeing the earlier posting about a gynaecologist who
prescribed a potentially teratogenic commercial product to help with
morning sickness, I would check out their chemical composition first if
she ever has to use them again.)

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Lisa Avolio) (12/03/85)

In article <357@madvax.UUCP>, susan@madvax.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) writes:
> Do be careful with B6.  Megadoses can be dangerous.  My physician
> suggested not going over the 100 mg level, and I am not pregnant. ...

By all means!  As you know I suggested 50mg.  That is no where near a
megadose.  It is not dangerous.

> ...I'd keep close touch with my OB.  He's getting
> paid to know about such stuff.

What some physicians know about vitamins could fit in a vitamin capsule...
Don't be too surprised.

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (Dugan) (12/04/85)

> I just asked Karen about B6.  She told me that in general, mega-doses
> of B complex vitamins are dangerous, and just discontinuing them doesn't
> help, because they accumulate in your fat cells.  The notion that you
> can always take vitamins and that they are totally safe is a dangerous
> notion, especially when pregnant.
>
> Karen is not an MD (she's an Advanced EMT) but in general, consult your
> doctor before you try B6.
>
> 	Mark

I think you had better have Karen check her facts.  The B complex vitimins are
NOT (I repeat NOT) fat soluable (stored in fat cells).  They are water
soluable which means that they are flushed out of your system when you
urinate.  This is also true of vitim C.  This is one of the reasons that you
should take extra vitimin C and B-complex (know as stress vitimins) when you
have a cold.  If you drink extra fluids when you have a cold, you are going to
urinate more and thus get rid of the stress vitimins.  Taking mega doses all
at once doesn't do the trick.  You need to take smaller doses more often.

Concerning B6 specifically, the medical dicitionary stated that deficiencies
of vitim B6 can cause "Anorexia, nausia and vomiting".

The most important thing to remember is to FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S ADVISE!

I checked these facts in the medical dctionary provided by my company medical
department.  You might want to check out some of the things they say about
vitimins.  It's pretty interesting.

--

Sarah E. Dugan
"You have to kiss a lot of frogs

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 2B-243                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 6360                        (312) 355 - 0445                #

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (12/04/85)

In article <17700004@ism70.UUCP> peggy@ism70.UUCP writes:

>I just finished my fourth month of pregnancy, and it wasn't until I changed
>vitamins (about 1-1/2 weeks ago) that my nausea went away.  There's
>something about the Stuart-Natal prenatal vitamins that made my stomach
>feel sour all the time.  I found a comparable 3-a-day vitamin (of
>more-or-less the same potency) at my local health food store and I haven't
>had any trouble since.

I am not familiar with those particular vitamins.  However, many people
are sensitive to inorganic iron in many vitamine/mineral suppliments.  The
sensitivity manefests as an "acid" stomach.  Most "health food store"
vitamin/mineral suppliments use amino-acid chelated minerals.  This might
have been your problem.

--Kne

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (12/05/85)

> My wife Lucy is pregnant, about 6 weeks' worth.  She is developing a
> serious problem with morning sickness.  etc, etc.
>

> Last time, Lucy's OB/GYN prescribed Bendectin in fairly large
> quantities, which seemed to help a good bit, but not completely.
> Unfortunately, now Bendectin has been taken off the market, much to
> our and Lucy's new doctor's dismay.  But the doctor says that
> Bendectin was mostly vitamin B6, plus a few other goodies thrown in
> for good measure.
>
> So, the $2 trillion question is:  Does anybody have any suggestions on
> what to do about this sort of problem?  Do you know of any (safe!)
> `home remedies' that are known to help with morning sickness?  Is B6
> really a good substitute for Bendectin?  Why was Bendectin taken off
> the market anyway?  Is the moon made of green cheese?  Do elephants
> eat chocolate-covered manhole covers?
>
> Any suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated.
> --
> Karl Kleinpaste

My wife and I are expecting our first in May. She had *AWFUL* morning sickness
for the first 4 months. She is in her 5th month now and still wakes up with a
queasy stomach.

Her OB/GYN prescribed phenergan(sp?), a prescription suppository. He also
suggested that she should have a cup of tea before she even gets out of bed
(my job). Ginger ale, crackers, etc. all help a little. She can keep both on
the nightstand so they are available whenever she needs them (and you can sleep
too!).

Her doctor also recommended that she alter her eating patterns so that she
eats ONLY when she feels good or hungry. Most important of all is YOUR help.
I found that my wife *REALLY* appreciated it when I got up with her at night
(5 or 6 times being normal), made her tea or simply rubbed her stomach and
flushed the john while she was sick. In this case, patience really is a virtue!

--

    "   For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."

    Ed Tankus
    Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
    Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
    Bell :  (203) 562-2101

susan@madvax.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (12/06/85)

> In article <357@madvax.UUCP>, susan@madvax.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) writes:
> > Do be careful with B6.  Megadoses can be dangerous.  My physician
> > suggested not going over the 100 mg level, and I am not pregnant. ...
>
> By all means!  As you know I suggested 50mg.  That is no where near a
> megadose.  It is not dangerous.
>
> > ...I'd keep close touch with my OB.  He's getting
> > paid to know about such stuff.
>
> What some physicians know about vitamins could fit in a vitamin capsule...
> Don't be too surprised.

If what he knows about vitamins were indeed so small, I am afraid he'd
have to look for another patient as well.  How on earth could I trust
him to know about fetal nutrition if he knew so little about mine?  So
he didn't learn it in medical school, he can go learn it now.  Like I
said earlier, I pay him a LOT of money for his expertise, and I expect
it.

  Susan Finkelman
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!susan

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (12/09/85)

While  pregnant  with my two  girls,  I too  had  trouble  with  morning
sickness.  I found that if I was well  rested I didn't have as much of a
problem as I did when I was worn out.  Soda  crackers  worked for awhile
with my  first  child,  but  after I got  sick  one  morning  when I was
extremely  tired, I couldn't  stomach them any more.  In the  mornings I
would send my husband to the  kitchen  for plain ol' toast.  It was very
bland and tasted wonderful at the time -- it also stayed down.

Eat several  small meals during the day by  splitting up the three major
meals.  Always  have  something  to eat  before  you go to bed at night.
Stick to bland  foods.  I found that the smell of very spicy foods would
send me to the sink.  For three  months my family  didn't  get  anything
exciting to eat.

Keep  something  to eat in your purse at all times.  I would  pull out a
granola  bar in the  middle of  church so I could  make it  through  the
service without having to rush out the door.

I agree  with  others  about  leaving  enough  time to get  ready  to go
anywhere in the morning.  The more  relaxed you are, the less likely you
are to make an emergency trip to the sink.

As for dealing with morning sickness with little ones around, I just got
sick, let my daughter (18 months at the time) rub my back and say, "It's
okay,  Mommy,"  and prayed  that my kids would  never have to go through
what I was going through.

Good luck!
Julie Wolf, wife of:

Steve Wolf					 Hewlett-Packard Company
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!woof			  Fort Collins, Colorado