[net.kids] Car seats

eagan@druxp.UUCP (EaganMS) (11/04/85)

It's getting close to that time to buy a car seat for our expecting baby.
I'd appreciate any opinions, etc on various brands of car seats.
Right now we are leaning toward one called "One-Step" (put out by
Even-Flo I think). Also one of the Fischer Price models is our second choice.
Both of these rated high in one article. But, rather than to base our decision
on just one article I'd like to hear from others.

Thanks

Marianne Eagan

ihnp4  druxq!eagan

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (11/04/85)

Relatively few car seats adjust automatically to the amount of clothes
(or, equivalently, to different-sized children).  I would strongly
recommend a self-adjusting model, one whose straps (if any)
do not have to be manually loosened or tightened through D rings.
F-P and maybe others have a seat with straps on a retractor,
like auto seatbelts.  One other model has straps that are put on loose
and then pulled tight at the shield each time.  Cosco has one
we use that has a self-adjusting shield with no straps.
Remember, there's nothing magic about a car seat.  If the restraints
are not on, or if they are not snug, it isn't worth much.
Harvey S. Cohen

see1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Ellen Seebacher) (11/04/85)

>From: eagan@druxp.UUCP (EaganMS)
>Subject: car seats
>
>It's getting close to that time to buy a car seat for our expecting baby.

And I thought *teenage* pregnancy was a problem!  :-)

--
 Ellen Keyne Seebacher                     Univ. of Chicago Comp. Center
  Dilige et quod vis fac.                  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!see1

flowers@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/06/85)

We selected the One Step for ours, due to ease of use & overall design.

However, when she was born, we found that it is just too big for a
newborn.  The chest / abdomen shield was up at her forehead, and even
mounted rear facing and with a rolled up towel to make it slant back
even more, it was still too far upright for her to lie back in it, and
she did not have the back strength to hold herself upright.

Until she gets bigger we are now using the Kolcraft Rock'n'Ride.  It is
a rear-facing infant carrier / car seat combination which also rocks and
can serve as an adjustable infant seat.  We are very happy with its
versatility, instead of having to own separate infant seats, rockers,
etc. (We also took it on the plane for use on vacation).  It is
available from Sears, among other places.

After we got the One Step, we noticed that when the shield is pushed
all of the way down, the bars connected to it don't seem to leave much
room for legs.  When she gets big enough and we return to using it we'll
see how it fits.

I have seen a new once, called something like Century 500 LX or
something like that, where the shield is a single piece which locks down
and snaps into place, with no additonal belts to be fastened by hand.
It looks like the simplest and easiest to use, trivial to load a kid
into.  I'd rather have that than the One Step.

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (11/07/85)

> It's getting close to that time to buy a car seat for our expecting baby.
> I'd appreciate any opinions, etc on various brands of car seats.
> Right now we are leaning toward one called "One-Step" (put out by
> Even-Flo I think). Also one of the Fischer Price models is our second choice.
> Both of these rated high in one article. But, rather than to base our decision
> on just one article I'd like to hear from others.
>
> Marianne Eagan

You don't say what article rated the car seats, but I hope you read the
Consumer's Report article on child safety seats.  We did, and we bought the
Century 200 (also called the 4200) for $45 and we have been very happy with
it.  And so has Lauren! (11 months old).

Mike Clifford

mtc@edsel.UUCP (MT Chiosi) (12/13/85)

I have been looking at car seats these last few weeks.
There appear to be some new ones on the market which
have a shield which is close to the child's body versus
the ones with the heavily padded boarder. Which one is
more comfortable for an infant or child?
  I have heard that the padded boarder types can upset
children because they can't see their parents or even
outside of the car because the boarder is usually in
the line of sight. The one with the shield is uncomfortable
for the child and restrictive. Any comments?

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (12/17/85)

> I have been looking at car seats these last few weeks.
> There appear to be some new ones on the market which
> have a shield which is close to the child's body versus
> the ones with the heavily padded boarder. Which one is
> more comfortable for an infant or child?
>   I have heard that the padded boarder types can upset
> children because they can't see their parents or even
> outside of the car because the boarder is usually in
> the line of sight. The one with the shield is uncomfortable
> for the child and restrictive. Any comments?

The Century 4200 uses the padded "shield".  Since it is padded and adjustable,
the child should feel comfortable when riding in the seat.  If the child seems
to not be comfortable, there may be other reasons for it.

It is certainly restrictive, because there isn't supposed to be alot of "play"
or slack.  Lauren is able to move her arms all around and play with small toys
without any problem, so it is not TOO restrictive in that sense.

Mike Clifford