[net.kids] Positive Reinforcement

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/26/85)

In article <283@h.cs.cmu.edu> rfb@h.cs.cmu.edu (Rick Busdiecker) writes:
> ...Positive reinforcement is *always* better
>than punishment and it will produce other good qualities in your kids.

Just an open question here to all who are familiar with developmental
psychology. Once the positive reinforcement is taken away (certainly
you aren't going to lavish praise on your child EVERY time he doesn't
defacate on the carpet?), doesn't the behaviour diminish? It would seem
to me that positive reinforcement would teach the child to do a
certain thing EXPECTING to be praised for it. Once the praise disappears,
the child would then have no reason to continue behaving that way.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

rfb@h.cs.cmu.edu (Rick Busdiecker) (12/29/85)

> Just an open question here to all who are familiar with developmental
> psychology. Once the positive reinforcement is taken away (certainly
> you aren't going to lavish praise on your child EVERY time he doesn't
> defacate on the carpet?), doesn't the behaviour diminish? It would seem
> to me that positive reinforcement would teach the child to do a
> certain thing EXPECTING to be praised for it. Once the praise disappears,
> the child would then have no reason to continue behaving that way.

You're right.  There are similar problems with any form of conditioning.
The conditioned behavior is extinguished.  Rather than suddenly stopping the
praise, you switch from continuous reinforcement to intermittant
reinforcement.  I forget which conditioning schedule is the most effective,
but I think it's a random variable interval.  Basically, you continuously
praise the child until you get the conditioned behavior (not defecating on
the carpet) and then switch to occasional random-interval praise.  Research,
not just peoples gut feelings, has shown this to be a very effective method
to modify behavior.

Research also indicates that punishment is rather ineffective at
extinguishing an undesireable behavior.  It does suppress the behavior, but
not eliminate it.  For example, if two kids find that arguing over toys when
Mom or Dad is around gets their toys thrown away, they will probably
decrease the amount of arguing of toys they do ... when Mom or Dad is
around.

My wife tells me that the particular example of throwing away a child's
belongings does in fact teach a long term habit, but probably not one which
you would like to establish in your childre.  The habit is stealing.

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (12/29/85)

Dave Kirby writes:

> In article <283@h.cs.cmu.edu> rfb@h.cs.cmu.edu (Rick Busdiecker) writes:
>> ...Positive reinforcement is *always* better
>>than punishment and it will produce other good qualities in your kids.

> Just an open question here to all who are familiar with developmental
> psychology. Once the positive reinforcement is taken away (certainly
> you aren't going to lavish praise on your child EVERY time he doesn't
> defacate on the carpet?), doesn't the behaviour diminish? It would seem
> to me that positive reinforcement would teach the child to do a
> certain thing EXPECTING to be praised for it. Once the praise disappears,
> the child would then have no reason to continue behaving that way.

Actually, reinforcement is most effective when it is `partial'.
Partial reinforcement is an irregular pattern of reinforcing
the behavior sometimes; when the reward is sufficiently
desirable, the subject will respond correctly with the greatest
frequency, since (s)he doesn't know which response will bring
the reward, but does know that eventually the reward will
arrive.

Constant reinforcement, as Dave suggested, is not the best way
to go; the behavior does become dependent on the reward.  With
partial the subject gets used to performing the behavior without
getting a reward, at first in the expectation of eventually
getting it; then just as a matter of habit.

- Michael "I was a Psych major once" Krantz

- - - - -

"The text reveals the process of its own production."

paula@bigburd.UUCP (Paula Matuszek) (12/29/85)

eat, eat, eat...

I can't resist commenting on this any longer.

1.  Doesn't the behavior diminish once you remove the
    positive reinforcement?

    Of course it does.  There are several ways to minimize this, including
    making the reinforcement schedule irregular, making the reinforcement
    strong enough to elicit a LOT of good behavior for a single reward,
    and gradually substituting "easy" or "acceptable" reinforcements
    like praise and Mommy's happiness for treats, money, etc.

    Why shouldn't the behavior diminish?  How long would you keep working
    if your paychecks stopped?  Or if no one ever told you you were doing
    a decent job?  Kids are no different.

    So how do you use positive reinforcement to control behavior?  You
    DO keep praising the behaviors you want to see.  You can diminish the
    rate for well-established behaviors, and you can, as mentioned earlier,
    substitute social reinforcements like praise and smiles if you have
    started with more tangible rewards.  But you don't really WANT to stop
    praising your child.  (This tends to be the biggest failure of
    "behavior modification plans"--did you follow the plan?  well, yes.
    did the behavior change?  well yes, but once I stopped the rewards the
    nasty brat went right back to his nasty behavior--this ISN'T a
    surprise).

    The other aspect of how you keep the behavior is that if you're
    doing it right, the result of the behavior SHOULD ITSELF be rewarding to
    the child.  Clean room, more fun with siblings, good grades in school,
    etc--children do like these things, and if their behavior is contributing
    to them that in itself is reinforcing.  Now if what you're using the
    reinforcement for is something like trying to make a six-year-old sit
    quietly for an hour, you're going to have to work a lot harder at it
    (and I'm not going to help you any).

2.  Positive reinforcement is always better than punishment.

    This is a bit naive.  Different kinds of reinforcement have different
    effects.  Punishment IS effective at temporarily suppressing behavior.
    If it's strong enough it can be permanently effective (ever read the
    experiments about one trial learning in animals?)  Why might you want
    to do this?  Mild punishment to suppress one behavior (eg, fighting
    with siblings) long enough to allow a competing positive behavior
    to be built up.  Somewhat stronger punishment for behaviors that to YOU
    it is really critical that your child not engage in.  Some such
    behaviors carry their own punishment--getting burnt on a hot stove,
    for instance.  Sometimes you would rather that your child not do
    something because the consequences COULD BE fatal--I have punished
    mine for things like running into the street. The risk of the latter
    is that if the connection between act and punishment is arbitrary,
    with you as the arbiter, it will only prevent it to the extent that you
    are likely to know about it.

3.  Modeling.

    Since people aren't really rats, there is more to human learning than
    reinforcement (brace for flames from Skinnerians).  Children, as
    all of you who have them know, are great little models.  When they are
    faced with a situation, their first approach will be one they have
    seen tried successfully, if they know of one.  You CAN teach children
    appropriate concepts and phrases like "taking turns" and "you do this
    part, I'll do that part" and "let's trade".  And "I'm sorry" and
    "Let's make friends again" and all the other little niceties that
    make them more pleasant to be around.  Your own behavior is, of course,
    one very important model.  Books, playmates, schools and TV provide
    others.  Appropriate behavior includes not only the motivation
    for appropriate behavior (which you can affect through reinforcement),
    but also the knowledge of appropriate responses and behaviors--and for
    humans, modeling, including just plain TELLING a child ways to deal with
    something, is the fastest way to provide this knowledge.

4.  My "background" for this--PhD in school psych, 12 years professional
    experience working with children, and four children of my own, all
    of whom I enjoy (most of the time!).

5.  Most important thing I've learned about kids:  they're surprisingly
    resilient--don't let all the jargon and worries and theories keep
    you from enjoying them!

Paula Matuszek

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (12/30/85)

> Just an open question here to all who are familiar with developmental
> psychology. Once the positive reinforcement is taken away (certainly
> you aren't going to lavish praise on your child EVERY time he doesn't
> defacate on the carpet?), doesn't the behaviour diminish? It would seem
> to me that positive reinforcement would teach the child to do a
> certain thing EXPECTING to be praised for it. Once the praise disappears,
> the child would then have no reason to continue behaving that way.

If you're genuinely pleased and show it, that in itself is an incentive
that won't go away so long as the behavior continues to please you.
Of course this depends on the child's loving you.

In any case, artificial incentives suffer from the weakness you
describe.  The point is that acquired habits are hard to break; by the
time that the incentive is withdrawn, the child ceases to realize that
he has a choice.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (12/30/85)

>Just an open question here to all who are familiar with developmental
>psychology. Once the positive reinforcement is taken away (certainly
>you aren't going to lavish praise on your child EVERY time he doesn't
>defacate on the carpet?), doesn't the behaviour diminish? It would seem
>to me that positive reinforcement would teach the child to do a
>certain thing EXPECTING to be praised for it. Once the praise disappears,
>the child would then have no reason to continue behaving that way.

>Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

Actually, the point is to _reduce_ the amount of praise after the behavior
has changed to the positive.  This will encourage the behavior to improve
and the child will work harder to achieve it.   This principle of
diminishing rewards is very familiar both to skinner freaks and gambling
establishments.  If it didn't work, not many people would spend alot of
money on slot machines and lotteries.

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (12/31/85)

In article <625@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>In article <283@h.cs.cmu.edu> rfb@h.cs.cmu.edu (Rick Busdiecker) writes:
>> ...Positive reinforcement is *always* better
>>than punishment and it will produce other good qualities in your kids.
>

>Just an open question here to all who are familiar with developmental
>psychology. Once the positive reinforcement is taken away (certainly
>you aren't going to lavish praise on your child EVERY time he doesn't
>defacate on the carpet?), doesn't the behaviour diminish? It would seem
>to me that positive reinforcement would teach the child to do a
>certain thing EXPECTING to be praised for it. Once the praise disappears,
>the child would then have no reason to continue behaving that way.

>Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

Dave,
	Its been a while since I had taken a psychology course, but
	I seem to remember several experiments on types reinforcement
	and their regularity.  It seems, if memory serves correctly,
	that the positive reinforcement makes a greater effect when
	administered randomly.  That is to say, don't give praise on
	every occations or every other occation, but space the praise
	in regard to the last TIME a reward was given; making the time
	interval roughly equivilent.  I *believe* this is correct, but
	I am more than happy to be corrected.

					Martin the Magician.

<DISCLAIMER:  Opinions or ideas expressed are all mine, mine!...
	Dispite fears, I don't read others thoughts and display
	them - without permission (usually).  Rest easy associates.  >

waycott@mot.UUCP (John Waycott) (01/01/86)

> > to me that positive reinforcement would teach the child to do a
> > certain thing EXPECTING to be praised for it. Once the praise disappears,
> > the child would then have no reason to continue behaving that way.
>
> You're right.  There are similar problems with any form of conditioning.
> The conditioned behavior is extinguished.  Rather than suddenly stopping the
> praise, you switch from continuous reinforcement to intermittant
> reinforcement.  I forget which conditioning schedule is the most effective,

Instead of switching to interrmitent behavior, what I do is gradually tone
down the praise.  For example, when my daughter first learned how to put
dirty glasses in the sink, I would hug and kiss her and tell her what a
nice thing it was for her to do so.  Once that behavior was established
I stopped the hugging and kissing but told her how nice it was that she
put a dirty glass in the sink.  Now she gets a smile and a simple
"thankyou".  Does any one know how effective this is compared to
switching to intermittent praise?  It seems to work for us.
--
John Waycott, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ, (602) 438-3164
{seismo!terak, trwrb!flkvax, utzoo!mnetor, ihnp4, attunix}!mot!waycott

wiebe@ut-ngp.UUCP (Anne Hill Wiebe) (01/02/86)

Positive reinforcement consists of following some action with a
stimulus that will make that action occur more frequently in the
future.  This means that anything that happens after your action could
be a reinforcer to your action, if you tend afterwards to do that
action more frequently.  THIS means that many things can be
reinforcing, although they may not seem to be that wonderful or
positive to an outside observer.  So!  what does that mean?
Well, the child who is originally reinforced for positive behavior by
means of a smile together with something like a cookie comes to
associate the cookie (primary reinforcer) with the smile or hug
(secondary reinforcer).  Then the smile becomes reinforcing
because it has been associated with good things like cookies; this is
why it's called a secondary reinforcer, because it only reinforces
after such association.  (A newborn baby does not "know" that a smile
is good, does not automatically seek smiles, but DOES automatically
seek food. So a smile-as-reinforcer has to be taught,
food-as-reinforcer doesn't have to be taught.)
Okay.  Now we can associate the smile (or praise, or hugs, etc. etc.)
with good behavior, and it reinforces the good behavior.  The
combination of smile+good behavior also produces other effects on the
child.  Notably, s/he feels happy when this combination occurs.  That
means that a happy feeling (and maybe some self-praise on the part of
the child) begins to be associated with the good behavior.  This begins
the development of a moral sense, when the child learns in this way to
reinforce his/her own good behavior.  People who learn "behavior
modification" are just making deliberate use of this everyday
occurrence or principle.  So -- anyway, the child DOESN'T have to be
rewarded or reinforced by the parent forever and ever.  It has to
happen a great deal at first, then occasionally, to keep up the
association.  Eventually, as the child grows up, "occasionally" can
become VERY occasionally, and can be a very broad statement:  the
grownup child is strongly moved when the parent says "I'm proud of
you."  This is that same reinforcement, broadened and happening on a
very occasional basis; but it sure does make the grownup child feel
good (assuming that the parent-child relationship has remained good
enough for the parent's opinion to still be respected by the child).

Anyhow, this is why reinforcement works; my credentials are a
bachelor's degree in psychology and teaching assistant work at an
extremely behaviorally-oriented university (Wichita State, Kansas)
and three years in a Ph.D. program in psychology at the Univ. of
Texas at Austin.  The above summary is not precisely the teaching or
theory of any one behaviorist, but would probably be agreeable with
most of those who call themselves behaviorist psychologists.

Happy New Year, Anne Wiebe

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (01/04/86)

[Negative reinforcement for the bug]

> Well, the child who is originally reinforced for positive behavior by
> means of a smile together with something like a cookie comes to
> associate the cookie (primary reinforcer) with the smile or hug
> (secondary reinforcer).  Then the smile becomes reinforcing
> because it has been associated with good things like cookies; this is
> why it's called a secondary reinforcer, because it only reinforces
> after such association.  (A newborn baby does not "know" that a smile
> is good, does not automatically seek smiles, but DOES automatically
> seek food. So a smile-as-reinforcer has to be taught,
> food-as-reinforcer doesn't have to be taught.)

I think ill of developmental psychology in general, and of this
instance of it in particular.  My objections:

1. Food is good in its own right only when you're hungry.  At other
   times it's an artificial incentive.

2. Children learn very young that smiles are good.

3. When the child behaves well, the smile comes naturally; the cooky
   does not.  It's typical of behavioral "science" to regard the
   child as part of the experiment and the parent as standing
   outside it.  The child knows better.
_._

"On behalf of Bogopolis, I am honored to accept this ... Wait a minute!
  This is not the World's Largest Diamond!"
"Of course not, Captain BUFFOON!  It's a big chunk of VOOPTONITE!"
"Auggggh! Urggggh! Gasp! ... And you're not Commander Pinkney, the Brazil-
  ian explorer! You're ... you're ... you're ..."
"Ha HO ho haw! HAW HAW yak yak yak!"