[net.kids] rocking chairs

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (01/06/86)

In article <1732@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>>> Something you wished you'd thought about having at home before the
>>> kid arrived there.

>>	A rocking chair in the baby's room.

>Caution: a rocker is a very nice thing to have for the baby, but it
>also has a very limited lifespan.  With both Matt and Adam, we found
>they loved to be rocked to sleep until they reached about 3 months,
>then they wouldn't tolerate it anymore.  (Mommy and Grandma were
>very disappointed!)
>
>If you do get a rocker, try to borrow one.  They can be expensive.

Or make sure there is room for one in the living/family room.  The adults
and older children at my home have enjoyed the rocking chair.  It is also
a nice place to sit and talk with young children, once their energy level
goes down a little.

| General Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and |
|             do not necessarily reflect the opinions   |
|             of McDonnell Douglas Corporation.         |

          PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

tonti@ptsfc.UUCP (Guy Tonti) (01/09/86)

> >>	A rocking chair in the baby's room.
> >Caution: a rocker is a very nice thing to have for the baby, but it
> >also has a very limited lifespan.  With both Matt and Adam, we found
> >they loved to be rocked to sleep until they reached about 3 months,
> >then they wouldn't tolerate it anymore.  (Mommy and Grandma were
> >very disappointed!)

I must disagree with the above.
As a father who must work sometimes late into the evening, the time I get
to spend with my son holding him while rocking is about the best quality time
I can think of.
He realizes that when we are on the floor, its playtime, but when I hold him
in the rocker, its relax time.  He still occasionally fusses, but usually he
needs changing, etc.
Whether I read or sing to him, the rocker has been a real joy, one that my
wife and I plan on using until it don't rock no more.

Guy Tonti

...what's the matter daddy, how come you're turning green, could it be that
we can't live up to your dreams?.....John Sebastian