[net.kids] Shoes and becoming a Toddler

rcn@hou2d.UUCP (R.C.Newberry) (01/09/86)

The discussion of barefootedness has brought up a question in my mind.
What is the best way for infants to learn to walk; barefoot, with socks,
with sneakers or with the Stride Rites??  My major concern is saftey
for the child and physical development.  I do not care about speed
of learning.  Does anyone have any references that they can site?

--
--------------------------
  Rosemarie Newberry

co@cbsck.UUCP (Corinna Owens) (01/10/86)

I read from a book on baby care that it is preferable
to let children learn to walk without hard shoes.
Bare feet or socks will allow the child to use the
muscles in his or her feet, strengthening them.  I
forgot which book I read this from.  The book may have
the original Dr. Spock baby care book which I stole
from my mom.
--

Corinna Owens    [... cbosgd!] cbscc!co

ac4@pucc-j (Tom Putnam) (01/10/86)

In article <839@hou2d.UUCP> rcn@hou2d.UUCP (R.C.Newberry) writes:
>What is the best way for infants to learn to walk; barefoot, with socks,
>with sneakers or with the Stride Rites??

Speaking from recent experience with one toddler (doesn't that make me an
expert?), we had really good luck with simple soft leather Indian moccasins.
We were fortunate to receive a couple of pairs as baby gifts.  They give
the child better traction on tile and wood floors than socks (and we do
wear socks in this climate to keep the feet warm).  They also help keep
the socks from wearing out and getting dirty, but I suppose that is an
incidental advantage.  From what we read and heard, you should avoid
anything that is stiff or heavy (don't buy the moccasins with soles).  Our
daughter starting walking just before she was 9 months old and managed to
wear out 2 different pairs, but she also outgrew them just as fast, so
wearing them out doesn't much matter.  She is now into her third pair at
age 19 months.  We finally bought her some soft sneakers to wear outside,
but she loves to wear her moccasins around the house.

One small problem:  They may be hard to find in the stores.  We were
fortunate to have friends and relatives who live in New Mexico!

--
Tom Putnam, Manager of User Services
Purdue University Computing Center

ARPANET: ac4@asc.Purdue.EDU