[net.kids] educational toys that inspired you...

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (12/31/85)

Once again my wife and I have supplied our nieces (ages 6 and 8) with lenses,
tools, prisms, and the like and one again we have been told by other
relatives that we should stick to more traditional toys (Cabbage Patch dolls
and other very sex-rolled objects). Based on an admittedly small sampling
it seems like many people who have ended up in technical work remember
wonderful mechanical toys, puzzles, and the like. I would like to hear
comments (particularly from women) on toys that "made a difference." My
wife fondly remembers a small microscope, old clocks (junkers to play with)
and tools. I built telescopes and model airplanes. What did you do? What
are kids doing today?

send me mail and I'll post a summary...

	Steve Crandall
	mhuxt!evans

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (01/09/86)

> Once again my wife and I have supplied our nieces (ages 6 and 8) with lenses,
> tools, prisms, and the like and one again we have been told by other
> relatives that we should stick to more traditional toys (Cabbage Patch dolls
> and other very sex-rolled objects). Based on an admittedly small sampling
> it seems like many people who have ended up in technical work remember
> wonderful mechanical toys, puzzles, and the like. I would like to hear
> comments (particularly from women) on toys that "made a difference." My
> wife fondly remembers a small microscope, old clocks (junkers to play with)
> and tools. I built telescopes and model airplanes. What did you do? What
> are kids doing today?
>
> send me mail and I'll post a summary...
>
> 	Steve Crandall
> 	mhuxt!evans

I always liked the simple toys best: jacks, marbles, slinkies,
dolls, toy handguns (western style), jigsaw puzzles, books, doctor
& nurse kits, "little people" (tiny plastic, wooden and/or
porcelin figures of people & animals), legos, lincoln logs, etc.
I wanted something on which I could loose my imagination.

I don't care much for the "stickers" that are currently
popular, and though I think Cabbage Patch dolls aren't the
greatest thing since sliced bread, they are a good doll for
children in that they are soft (comfortable), a good size for
playing, and have a large wardrobe available (its
educational from the standpoints of developing a child's
dexterity by dressing/undressing the doll and also of invoking
the child's imagination).

I don't think that toys previous generations viewed as sex
roled need be. For example, my 7 year old stepson is
extremely fond of stuffed animals, and will happily sit down
to a doll tea party with his sisters. He is equally delighted to
play with a race cars, trucks, toy guns, trains and other typically
"boy" toys. My stepdaughters are the same. In fact, I think
Robyn enjoyed my Christmas gift to John, race cars,
better than he did.

The best toy to get for a child depends on the child's age and
likes. Two ten year old girls will not appreciate the same
thing equally: one might prefer a book, while the other would
prefer a puzzle. You have to consider the child's individual
personality, the types of things he enjoys and doesn't care
for.

If you aren't well acquainted with the child, I think the
toys, games and books that have been around for years and
years are probably the
best choice, simply because thousands of children have had the
chance to try them and have liked them enough that they
continue in existance (if they weren't liked, they wouldn't
sell, and the toy companies would quit making them).

I think the toys you mentioned as getting for your nieces
sound like fun. You say you were critisized by other
relatives; was it because the children didn't play with the things
you gave them? Or, was it because they were something the
parents didn't want the child to have, either from a safety or
a "we don't want to raise our children this way" standpoint?

If the relatives who critisized are not the parents, I would
ignore their remarks and continue as you have, if the children
seem to enjoy your gifts to them. If the children don't, you may
want to reconsider your gift choices.

I don't believe anyone other than the parents have a right to
object to the gifts you choose. For example, many people do
not look with favor on toy guns, believing it encourages
violence, or at least tolerance of violence. If the parents
believe this, you shouldn't get their children toy guns, or
the like. Some parents may prefer to raise their children is
strictly stereotyped roles, I don't think this is too likely
to work as they intend, but they do have a right to rear their
children as they choose. There are a lot of toys that are
traditionally for both boys and girls, paints, clay, books,
board games, etc. These might be happier choices for all
concerned if the parents don't want their daughters to play
with "boy" toys.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze

lar@inuxc.UUCP (L Reid) (01/10/86)

> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
> Once again my wife and I have supplied our nieces (ages 6 and 8) with lenses,
> tools, prisms, and the like and one again we have been told by other
> relatives that we should stick to more traditional toys (Cabbage Patch dolls
> and other very sex-rolled objects). Based on an admittedly small sampling
> it seems like many people who have ended up in technical work remember
> wonderful mechanical toys, puzzles, and the like. I would like to hear
> comments (particularly from women) on toys that "made a difference." My
> wife fondly remembers a small microscope, old clocks (junkers to play with)
> and tools. I built telescopes and model airplanes. What did you do? What
> are kids doing today?
>
> send me mail and I'll post a summary...
>
> 	Steve Crandall
> 	mhuxt!evans

I was raised in a small town with very traditional ideas.  But I got
to play with GI Joe dolls, little army men sets, etc.  In addition,
my dad (who was a TV repairman with his own business), taught me
how to fix tv's and let me work with him.  I grew up with the
attitude that there was nothing I couldn't do if I wanted and to
not let anything stop me.  My dad also encouraged me to take drafting
in high school (girls weren't allowed).  My dad had to fight
the counselors but I finally was allowed and ended up being assigned
to the boys counselor.  I ended up in the drafting profession although
I have since changed to the computing profession.

Laura Reid
inuxc!lar

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (01/12/86)

In article <1330@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>Once again my wife and I have supplied our nieces (ages 6 and 8) with lenses,
>tools, prisms, and the like and one again we have been told by other
>relatives that we should stick to more traditional toys (Cabbage Patch dolls
>and other very sex-rolled objects). Based on an admittedly small sampling
>it seems like many people who have ended up in technical work remember
>wonderful mechanical toys, puzzles, and the like. I would like to hear
>comments (particularly from women) on toys that "made a difference." My
>wife fondly remembers a small microscope, old clocks (junkers to play with)
>and tools. I built telescopes and model airplanes. What did you do? What
>are kids doing today?
>
>send me mail and I'll post a summary...
>
>	Steve Crandall

Well, being among the younger readers of this group (18, the oldest of 4 about
the house) and still having some fascination with toys (please, no shrinks need
reply) I'll try to remember now...lemme see...

Legos were number one on my list, lincoln logs high up on my friends'.  Erector
sets never seemed to cut it because, although they were motorized, they were
a bear to construct properly.  I still have each and every (small) stuffed
animal I was ever given, and from the stats, I'd say bears outnumber turtles
about 2-1.  Also, I disassembled an astronomical number of watches, just to
see what made them tick, although I can't admit to ever understanding them.
Throw in the requisite Tonka Toys, one I especially remember, a tractor-
trailer car carrier with two cars.  Giant Tinkertoys always made me want to
build a car, even though I paid little attention to real cars.  Didn't really
get into electronic things until I was 12, when I first got my hands into the
school computers (dying OSI Challenger 2's).  Learned to enjoy Chess and Go
early, although never became any good at either.  As for a microscope, well,
invariably for every useful slide I made, I produced two useless ones, and
broke 4 cover slips to boot, so I can't really say I got too much out of it.
On the other hand, Scouting probably represented the best times I'd had up
to that time, primarily the weekend hiking overnighters.  Almost too much
fun in fact; after the first hike, I ignored a pulled tendon in my left
foot for almost three days.

As an aside, I also watched an almost excessive amount of PBS, shunning the
lesser-quality amusement of common cartoons.  i.e. I think I saw just about
every Sesame Street and Mister Rogers episode shown between '69 and '74 or
so, and to date, I still tune in for amusement periodically.  There are some
things in life which, although you may outgrow their message, remain timeless.
Of course, it's a bit late now for your nieces, but other shows such as the
late Vision On and Nova gave me lots of insight.  Also, around that time I
used to read a lot; the three-book set The Answer Book, Answers and More
Answers, and Still More Answers probably fed me more knowledge than anything
else at the time.  My brothers and sister were fed the Childcraft books from
the people who publish the World Book Encyclopedia, I'm afraid I can't comment
on those since I was pushing 9 with a short stick when my parents sprung for the
set :-)

What toys would I liked to have had?  An Etch-a-Sketch, motorized Lego pieces,
one of the old, big, GI Joe's (oops, sexist militaristic toy) and a dog.  Well,
maybe not the dog.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (01/12/86)

> ... play with GI Joe dolls, little army men sets, etc.  In addition,
> my dad (who was a TV repairman with his own business), taught me
> how to fix tv's and let me work with him.  I grew up with the
> [attitude that there was nothing I could not do ...]

     I went the TV repair route, too; but also spent most of my youth
designing and building rather impressive circuitry for one's age. This
would include a pirate AM station and innumerable audio amplifiers.

     As a practicing electrical engineer today, though, I can state that
my early electronics self-education has both very good and very bad
points.  Learning to build amplifiers creatively rather than analytically
(let's just take the class "A" bipolar case here) serves one's purposes
well when you are 12 or so, but when you do it for a living, it is very
easy to succumb to the temptation to tweak your circuits rather than
do the correct operating point and stability analyses, etc.

     Permitting one's child to get too specialized at 12 - 14 (such as
building and programming your own pirate AM radio station with 250 watts)
will undoubtedly result in problems later, such as stunted social
skills development.  An obscession with one aspect at an early age can
lead to real misery later on for your child.

     On the other hand, there are very positive benefits for encouraging
exploration of "nontraditional" activities for children.  While I was
learning to be socially stunted, I was also learning invaluable lessons
which serve me well in my career today.  One major and flagrant shortcoming
of electrical engineering education is that there is absolutely zero
emphasis placed on using one's subjective facilities to improve behaviour
as an electrical engineer.  The emphasis is strictly "go no-go" rather
than extremely subtle things which can be observed with the senses God
gave you. Learning proper motor skills and (if your child is a budding
young electrical engineer) how to use and interpret test equipment will
serve your younguns very well in real life.

     Frankly, I don't know how many kids play with electronics hardware
any more...we were the last generation (born in ~1960) to really have
an opportunity to roast one's fingers on a pair of 6L6GT's.  Today's
(at least, from the electronics point of view) technical toys are of
such a high level of sophistication and delicacy that most kids keep out
of the hardware.  This is regrettable. (Note that cars have become the
same way ... I can't find a high school kid today that did weekend rebuilds
like we always did...)

     The opportunity for expanding a child's mind is certainly there...
just introduce these things in moderation, so that your kids don't end
up missing out on some of the other skills which can make life that
much more enjoyable.

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (01/13/86)

In article <1169@inuxc.UUCP> lar@inuxc.UUCP (L Reid) writes:
>> I would like to hear
>> comments (particularly from women) on toys that "made a difference." My
>> wife fondly remembers a small microscope, old clocks (junkers to play with)
>> and tools. I built telescopes and model airplanes. What did you do? What
>> are kids doing today?
>> send me mail and I'll post a summary...
>> 	Steve Crandall
>> 	mhuxt!evans
>I grew up with the
>attitude that there was nothing I couldn't do if I wanted and to
>not let anything stop me.  My dad also encouraged me to take drafting
>in high school (girls weren't allowed).  My dad had to fight
>the counselors but I finally was allowed and ended up being assigned
>to the boys counselor.  I ended up in the drafting profession although
>I have since changed to the computing profession.
>
>Laura Reid
>inuxc!lar

Funny that the above example should show up. I was brought up under
similar circumstances -- attitude wise -- with the exception
that it was reinforced by the fact that my mother was an aerospace
engineer (an accoplishment for the 1950's,believe me). For me drafting
was just a disciplined form of drawing that I felt would be helpful.
But you should have seen the look on my instructor's face when
he realized there was a female in his course (I was the only one in
any of the three sections he taught). It was like I had green hair
or something. Fortunately I could draw circles around anyone in the
class -- he couldn't find any reason to get rid of me. It was touchy
for a while. Ridiculous, considering it was 1972.

Otherwise, both my parents encouraged my sisters and I to be what
ever we wanted. I got a Bachelors in archeology and geology, and
a masters in geology; worked for the oil companies a while and
then stumbled onto Artificial Intelligence research and decided to
stay for a while. But then my parents did give us a lot of "thinking"
type toys like science kits,microscopes,telescopes,erector sets,
rockhounding tools etc.etc.etc.  Now my sisters are in non-traditional
fields also. One heads a fire-management section (she directs
setting fires for controlled burning, and controlling wildfires) for
a portion of the Mt.Hood National Foreset in Oregon. The youngest
one was in the Air Force Academy, and is now following in my
mother's footsteps as an aerospace engineer.  We were all encouraged
to use our brains -- and to read ALOT.  We were also push into
more math courses than what a lot of our girlfriends were --
but it did make a difference.

P.M.Pincha-Wagener

>      As a practicing electrical engineer today, though, I can state that
> my early electronics self-education has both very good and very bad
> points.  Learning to build amplifiers creatively rather than analytically
> (let's just take the class "A" bipolar case here) serves one's purposes
> well when you are 12 or so, but when you do it for a living, it is very
> easy to succumb to the temptation to tweak your circuits rather than
> do the correct operating point and stability analyses, etc.

	I have the same problem.  On the other hand, "playing" with electronics
at an early age gave me an innate FEELING for what will and will not work -
this is something that is really quite valuable and is not easily derived
from just a formal engineering education.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==