[net.kids] Responses to inspirational toys inquiry

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (01/07/86)

Subject: Stimulating Toys

What toys stimulated me?  I remember liking my Erector Set.  Never could get
my older kids interested in it, however.  At age 12-14 I took apart old radios
to see how they were made.  Also took the components themselves apart.  I
think that not everyone is that curious.  I have 5 children, ages 7 to 18.
The older three are within 15 months of the same age (some of them are adopted).
They were very social and never got too involved in solitary activities.  My
daughter did like to do science fair projects (with lots of suggestions from
Dad so the projects were generally successful).  Now she is an Electrical
Engineering student and seems to be enjoying it.  Her previous exposure made
the material at school less overwhelming.  My oldest son had more or less the
same opportunity but was good at sports.  Feedback from his peers plus his
own natural inclinations made him a pretty good basketball player.  He still
hasn't decided on a major in college.  In contrast, my youngest son has the
same kind of curiousity that I remember having.  I take him to the salvage
yard here at Los Alamos and he picks out some chassis or whatever that looks
interesting and takes it home to disassemble.  When he was 4 CBS was doing a
story on Los Alamos Salvage Yard.  They used some footage showing him clutching
a meter and some other small items.  The interviewer asked what he was going
to do with these things.  He said, with no prompting from Dad, "I am going to
take them apart to see how they are made."  He also likes fantasy toys where
he can set up a "world" and control it.  He likes and I liked to play in a
sandbox.  HE also likes to find patterns in things or make patterns.  I have
encourage this since I read that Feynman was stimulated by a set of colored
tiles that he could use to make patterns.  I think that is a sign of math-
ematical interests.  We did our best to raise our children without a lot
of sexist pressure.  But we didn't belabor the point.  The girls liked dolls
and the boys liked trucks.  But, my older daughter took shop and the boys
took Home Ec.  They all shared equally in the household chores and could
bake cakes and cook simple meals.
Well, I get the feeling I am rambling.  I have tried to interest my kids in
science and find that some took to it and some didn't.  It's nice to
stimulate an interest if there is a spark but like the old saying goes,
you can't make them take a drink.
Be interested in hearing what you get from others.

Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa
I was always into Etch a Sketch.  It was one of my
favorites.
In fact 2 Christmases ago, before my daughter was even
1, I "suggested" to the family how she (and mommy)
would love a new Etch a Sketch.  Low and behold,
guess who got one (and I'm still going strong with it!)

With the large variety of toys my daughter has (now she's 2 1/2)
she always goes back to the old favorites --
crayons and her records.  She has her records playing constantly
(we all go around the house singing, "Starlite, Rainbow Brite,
a little wish in the moonlight" !!)

I know it may be too early to tell, but Chrisanna seems
destined to become either a singer, dancer or artist --
probably all three!!!!

Barb Nemeth
bellcore!pyuxa!barb

===

Subject: Toys

One unconventional female toy that I recall was a little
HAM radio setup (didn't really transmit, just beeped) that my
father set up for me. He was ( and still is ) an amateur radio
operattor, morse code only, and on the "toy", I learned the
morse code.

Lynn Pfau

Subject: Re: educational toys that inspired you...
Although I am not a female, my fondest memories of childhood toys was
of course my erector set.  Endless days and many many pleasures.  Wish
I still had it.  Second was my Lionel trains set.  What wonderful accessories
and imagine, no electronics to speak of.  Then there was plastic and metal
models.

Recently I've had similiar conversations with my wife and we agree that
todays toys are just junk,  part of a conspiricy of saturday morning cartoons
and big business.

Oh I forgot my tinker toys.

+++
I bought a gyroscope for a semi-girlfriend this year (although
I doubt it will inspire her to a technical career).  I thought
everybody had had one of those, but she said, "what do you do
with it?" when I gave it to her.  I'm not sure if she liked it
or not.

Gyroscopes were lots of fun when I was a kid (they still are!)

james blasius
ihnp4!ihlpl!dopey

===
> wonderful mechanical toys, puzzles, and the like. I would like to hear
> comments (particularly from women) on toys that "made a difference." My

The cardboard that was stuffed in shirts when they came back from the
laundry.  I don't remember what I did with it; but I remember I always
coveted it.

--
Eric Norman
UUCP:         ...{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!ejnorman

"To err is human; to moo bovine."	-- grafitti

===
We always had lots of puzzles of various sorts around.
I built models (ship and mechanical).  There were also lots
of "educational" toys and games (and a microscope, too).

A favorite toy was Lincoln Logs.  I loved building villages.

I had my share of Barbies (and Matchboxes) too, though.

I think what you're doing for your nieces is fine.

Kim Donnelly
ihnp4!rruxg!kfd
Bell Communications Research

===
Toys that inspired me?  Some of the "toys" that I most fondly remember are:

	Leggo Blocks
	Erector Set
	a drafting set
	a chemistry kit
	a tray of 80 (whee!) water colors
	a Leo Durocher shortstop glove
	trashed out transistor radios
	boxing gloves (maroon, with gold trim)

Anyway, 20 years later, I seem to have turned out all right (except for
a proclivity with databases and a tendency to lead with my left :-) )

Laurie Sefton
===

	We'll, I'm an engineer.  What did I have to play with when I was a
kid?  Blocks (you know, the nice polished wood kind you can't get anymore),
Lincoln Logs, Erector Sets, Tinker Toys, Girders and Panels, ect.  Talk
about brain washing. :-)  I have some early memories of frustration with the
Erector Sets because I didn't have enough manual dexterity to deal with the
small screws; don't really remember how old I was, but I would guess that
by 8 I could certainly handle them fine.

	I think the modern-day alternative to most of these is Legos.  I
think they're wonderful.  I visited a friend of mine recently who has 3
boys, something like 4, 6, and 8.  They've got zillions of Legos and I had
a hell of a good time building stuff with them; they like them too.  I
think the youngest (3, maybe?) wasn't really old enough yet, but with
"help" from his brothers, he managed.  BTW, I'm 26 -- like they say, "for
ages 4 and up".  I think they have a larger-sized set for even younger kids
as well.

	One of the nice things about them is they are easy to handle for
young hands (no small parts requiring lot's of coordination).  I suppose
you could eat the smaller pieces but by and large the seem fairly safe; no
sharp edges and fairly indestrucable.  I would stay away from the
highly-structured kits of them; stick to the basic assortments of shapes
with a generous allowance of wheels and the other random moveable parts and
the kids will figure out what to do with them without benefit of any
"instructions".

	When I was about 12 or so, my dad bought me a chemistry set.  My
mom didn't think I was old enough for it then, so it got hidden away in the
closet; I think I was finally allowed to have it a year later.  Didn't
learn much chemistry, but I did manage to ruin the top on her table.

	I remember an assortment of junky microscopes (I guess I didn't
know they were junky then).  I would shy away from these I think.  Mostly I
remember frustration because we could never really see anything.  I don't
know if the 'scopes were just so bad as to be worthless, or if we didn't
have the skill or equipment to make slides (probably best off buying
ready-made slide sets).  I suspect to get a microscope worth having might
be more than most people are willing to pay.

	I had an assortment of plastic and balsa models.  I would stay away
from the balsa planes and ships for young kids.  I built (if you could call
it that) a couple of planes and a ship, none of which ever got completed.
Probably no younger than 14 is a good age for balsa planes, if you expect
them to ever fly.  Gas-powered engines of these seem a needless (and
dangerous) way to go at any rate for kids of all ages.

	One thing I never had was guns.  My mother was pretty adament about
that; no cap guns, no water pistols, no any-guns.  I grew up to be a
pacifist.  More brainwashing?

	Remembering what I had, and seeing what kids have today, I'm a bit
in a state of shock.  My family wasn't poor, but we certainly weren't rich
either, so maybe there just wasn't much money to spend on toys.  I had to
get lots of mileage out of what I had, which isn't too hard if you stick to
basic make-em-think type stuff.  I really feel like puking when I see the
media-hyped crap they sell now.

	BTW, one of the cleverest things on the market today are the
Transformers.  There are also Gobots and probably a few other ripoffs on
the same theme.  These are ingeniously hinged metal (and plastic?) toys
which depending on how you fold them turn into different things.  Imagine a
F-111 looking fighter plane; flip around the wings, engines, gear, etc and
in a few minutes you have a robot that you could never guess was ever a
plane.  I'm convinced that a bunch of MIT grads sit around stoned and
design these things.

Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
===
  your question was very interesting to me.  i was/am the 4th of
  5 daughters.  there were ne brothers in my family.  consequently
  there were no little boy type toys.  we were given dolls and games
  and books.  the toy i most remember though was a toy microscope that
  had belonged to some boy cousin and got handed down to us.  i
  spent alot of time trying to make it work.  i grew up to be a
  microbiologist.  my sisters all grew up to be wife/mother types
  with english degrees.  it must mean something.

  my husband and i also try to give unusual gifts to my nieces and
  nephews.  we get mixed reveiws.  my nephews love them.  my nieces
  show little or no interest.  i should of course add that both of my
  nieces (i have 10 nephews and 2 nieces) are dressed up in pink frills
  and treated like little princesses (sp?).  they are about as much
  fun to be around as the barbie dolls they love.

                                   yoddy

                               ...!decvax!allegra!umcp-cs!elsie!yoddy

===

I'd say as long as the gifts are not so delicate that they will be
easily broken the first day, your ideas on gift-giving are right on.

My sons (ages 5 and 2) go crazy over that sort of thing.  The latest
such wonder we came across was a very cheap microscope with built-in
flashlight that illuminates the object from Radio Shack.  If your
relatives bitch, shame on them.

	- Greg Paley/Olivetti ATC

===
The toys I remember playing with most at the age of 6-8 are Lincoln Logs
and Bricks.  There was also an Erector Set.  Most of the toys belonged to
my brother, who was a year younger. I was also very impressed with wiring
a lamp during a Scout meeting.

| General Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and |
|             do not necessarily reflect the opinions   |
|             of McDonnell Douglas Corporation.         |

===

I'd say as long as the gifts are not so delicate that they will be
easily broken the first day, your ideas on gift-giving are right on.

My sons (ages 5 and 2) go crazy over that sort of thing.  The latest
such wonder we came across was a very cheap microscope with built-in
flashlight that illuminates the object from Radio Shack.  If your
relatives bitch, shame on them.

	- Greg Paley/Olivetti ATC

===

I saw your posting in net.kids concerning educational toys.
Though I grew up in a pretty traditional household and mostly
had dolls and tea sets for toys, now and then my family had
group toys.
The ones I recall deriving the most fun from were jigsaw
puzzles and Lincoln logs.  Playing had a goal with either
of these: you had a complete picture or a little house at
the end of it all.
I have a nephew and niece now, and both my sisters are
interested in educational, non-sexist toys.  I'd like to
see a summary of your responses.

				Still a kid at heart,

				Lois Morton
				(ihlpg!loislane)
===

The toys I remember playing with most at the age of 6-8 are Lincoln Logs
and Bricks.  There was also an Erector Set.  Most of the toys belonged to
my brother, who was a year younger. I was also very impressed with wiring
a lamp during a Scout meeting.

| General Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and |
|             do not necessarily reflect the opinions   |
|             of McDonnell Douglas Corporation.         |

hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

My favorite toys were (are) loosely as follows:

	- Lionel train at about age 4. I slept with it.

	- Wooden 3d puzzles as well as wire puzzles. The good ones would
	provide weeks of frustration. These would probably only be good
	for kids who are teenagers though.

	- An erector set. This was one of the old ones from about 1960 with
	a great 110v electric motor with nice open gears which could bite.
	I doubt that any toy mfg would offer something so nice.

	- An electronics set with a tube in it (this really dates me). When
	I got older there were junker radios to play with. A couple of friends
	ended up with TV chassis and both became ham radio operators in their
	teens.

	- Model airplanes (balsa). Mostly free flight hand launch gliders, but
	I had a few Cox .049 gas engines. These were pretty frustrating until
	a got involved with a model airplane club and learned the trade secrets.

	- Telescopes. I was given a 2" junker refractor but was extremely
	interested in astronomy (and still am). In quick succession I built
	4", 6" and 8" reflectors. All had homemade mirrors with the third
	attempt coming out very well. This would be a teenage activity. It
	is annoying to see the false advertising on "toy" telescopes. Companies
	sell them by "power" which turns out to be a pretty empty metric.

	- Magazines and books - although not toys things like Sky and Telescope
	and Scientific American were very important to me as a teenager. Our
	public library wasn't great, but it was a treasure house as far as I
	was concerned.

=====
My favorite toys were my brother's model rockets (he didn't take them to
college and I was 12 when he left). I re-discovered them at MIT and get
the urge every now and again.

			Jeri

====
Subject:  toys for kids

You are to be congratulated on your independent stand on this issue.
By far the best thing adults can do for children is to help them grow
(and instill a rational set of values).  It is likely that the best
intellectual stimulation children receive is obtained on their own
time (not in school), by reading and experimenting; providing access
to appropriate materials is an excellent way to assist this natural
process.  The few women scientists with whom I have discussed this
invariably told of having to struggle against stereotypical toys
such as dolls, except when their parents encouraged toys for the
inquisitive (then they still had problems with relatives and peer
pressure).

Edmund Scientific (Barrington, NJ) did and does sell nice kits for
the experimenter, especially in optics.  One can also find electronic
experimenter kits (generally a collection of components that can be
interconnected in different ways), although the educational value
varies widely depending on the manufacturer.  Erector sets used to
be great fun (I haven't tried the newer designs), and there are other
construction sets with which one can build useful devices.  Estes
Industries (since acquired by Damon) is the premier manufacturer of
model rocket kits and supplies (I had a great time with these, but
the engines are much more expensive than they used to be).  There
are beginner darkroom sets, for the budding photographer.  With
appropriate supervision (unless the kid is especially careful), a
chemistry lab can be set up for a moderate investment; I had a nice
one with ground glassware etc. by the time I entered college.  Of
course, these days home computers are available.  I think there are
robot experimenter kits, which I would have enjoyed.  I had access to
a well-equipped workshop (my father's), which in retrospect was an
important part of my childhood.  A microscope, telescope, or other
optical instrument can be very nice, provided that the kid expresses
an interest in having one (costs too much for a good one to just buy
it and hope the kid likes it).

As you can gather, I think general-purpose experimenter tools are
most helpful.  Some specific technical toys that I liked and
recommend include: shortwave receiver kit, camera-carrying model
rocket with developing and printing facilities, top-of-line Erector
set, Edmund "Fun With Optics" kit, Martin Gardner's Mathematical
Games books, small telescope (3-4" reflector, equatorial mount best),
terrarium, birdwatching setup (birdhouse, feeder, good binoculars,
field guide to birds), Origami book and paper.

I think the key is to let the kid know that technical curiosity is
encouraged, and to help him buy materials for the things that he
gets interested in.  An occasional surprise gift in a different area
can be useful, since often a kid won't know how interesting something
is until he tries it for a while.  One should also avoid buying kits
that are expressly aimed at children (except Erector sets and maybe
chemistry starter sets), since they are often disappointingly limited.
It is much more fun to use real-world materials, preferably with
printed suggested experiments to get started, and with a necessary
minimum of adult supervision (chemicals and power tools are probably
most dangerous, followed by electrical experiments that connect to
house wiring).  Showing the kid how to use the public library is also
important, as is getting him experimenter supply catalogs.
====

Subject: Re: Physical Toys
Newsgroups: net.physics

I had a toy van de Graff generator when I was in elementary school which
I loved immensely.  It came as a simple kit, requiring me to install the
brushes and crank and the large rubber band which ran against the brushes
as I cranked it.  Although hand-cranked, it would go up to 150,000 V,
somewhat higher than the motor driven one's I've seen on the market since
(I also think it was a bit bigger).  It wasn't at all difficult to crank
it up to about 50,000 V.  To get higher than that required dry cold weather,
but was also easy.  It had a central tower with a large sphere, and a number
of accessories, including a smaller sphere on a pivoting rod.  Somehow it
got lost over the years, and I don't remember the brand name.

_Greg

====

When I was a kid, I had a set of Legos (you know those plastic blocks
that stick together).  I remember being very frustrated that they didn't
have all the shapes I needed to build the things I could imagine.  There
were also erector sets, a microscope etc.  My parents recognized a scientific
interest but I always felt that they gave me these things without
following up with their own interest in what I was doing with them.  I
think that is very important.  They tried to allow us a lot of freedom
(its probably worse if parents get so interested that the child is not
coming up with the ideas him/herself), but if they were more interested
I probably would have followed through with projects that got abandoned
halfway.

Another thought:  My girlfriend is always interested when I explain
technical things from work.  I asked her why she didn't become an
engineer too and she replied, "nobody told me I could".

Good luck with the kids,
Mark Garrett.

===

	Well, my cousin(male), who is now one of the top electrical
engineers in the country, was making robots with his Erector Set when
he was just a little tyke! He certainly recommends "creativity" toys.
	Then, of course, my father gave me a book called "Teach
Yourself FORTRAN" or some such thing when I was in the 6th grade, and
now I am a good programmer(I *don't* use DORTRAN anymore).
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)
====

My boyfriend and I try to give non-stereotyped toys to his
neices and nephews.  Along with books (Berenstein Bears,
How the Body Works, ...), they got tops, plastic gear wheels,
windmill things, and a woodburning kit (that was for the
oldest boy, but the box did have a girl on it.)

When I was growing up, I don't remember any particular toy
that inspired me.  I got a fire engine for my first birthday,
and my mother encouraged me to try the experiments in Childcraft.
We were always encouraged to read a lot.  Later on, I got a
meteorology kit, rock collection kit, and a microscope.  I
would say that the most inspiring educational 'toy' I would
receive would be books, books, and more books.  I read all
about dinosaurs, volcanos, geography, astronomy, weather,
fairy tales, math, and people.  If it is available on videotape,
"Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land" is a great movie as is "Nature's
Half Acre".

===

I am a mechanical engineer (male) and played with an Indian
version of what are known as erector sets here I believe. But
I haven't seen anything quite as complex in the toy stores in the
US: some English firms make good ones. I also was very much
into aeromodeling, although it was $$expensive in India.

I guess the toys didn't influence me to become an engineer-
it was more that mechanical stuff was of much interest to me,
so I asked my parents to get them for me.

- Ali Shaik         ihnp4!philabs!ams

===

The best one was a non-working television no one wanted, coupled with
a hammer, screwdrivers and priers.
   "Gosh, I wonder what's inside a transistor!   <crunch!>"
Jeff Sonntag

===

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (01/09/86)

The best toy I had when I was a child was a set of broken wristwatches,
and some jeweller's screwdrivers, together with the tool for removing
the backs of watches.

Of course, it helps to have an uncle who repairs watches, since otherwise
this can be an expensive gift....

I always thought I'd give something like this to my kids, but now
that we have entered the digital age, I wonder.  Oh well, TV sets
are fun, too;  but the kid has to be old enough to be given a
soldering iron.
--
"The Badger MAIMS, but he doesn't KILL" -- Larry
Rick Keir -- right next to the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (01/22/86)

> Subject: Stimulating Toys

My very, very favorite toy isn't made anymore.  American Bricks.  They're
like Leggos but made of wood -- and MUCH more satisfactory.  Leggos (to me)
are too difficult to get apart, therefore frustrating.  (Of course, I'm
no longer a child ;-)  I would spend hours building complexes with temples
and mazelike interiors -- a world for a  multitude of small plastic toys
(mostly horses) (you buy them by the bag in dime-stores).

The same plastic creatures also proved playmates in every child's dream --
a dirt pile.  Great for tunnelling and road building.  Perhaps not 'educational'
per se, but I practiced/learned a lot of creativity.

Finally, a pad of paper.  My best friend and I used to set up WWII sea
scenarios, with ships, planes, and submarines -- then proceed to destroy
them.  Paper Airplane wars were also entertaining.  Five hours to design
the things, fifteen minutes (if that) to destroy them.

Mostly, if the "toy" encouraged free, creative thought (a blank pad of
paper vs. a coloring book)(I was *terrible* at coloring books), it was
'educational' enough for me.  (I since have a degree, (BA) in Art, minored in
English, and am a Software QA Engineer.)

Barb