[net.kids] Pacifiers

snell@utzoo.UUCP (Richard Snell) (01/14/86)

When the child begins to go to school, and has been in the habit
of sucking on some object as a comfort/distraction activity
(i.e., either a thumb or a pacifier)

 1. you can keep the pacifier at home.
 2. you can not keep the thumb at home.

Seems to be little evidence that children hooked on one become hooked
on the other... so... it is not too hard to choose which to give them:-)

I will certainly admit that a toddler wandering around with a souse
stuck in his/her mouth is not a very heart-warming sight... but a
6 year old chewing on a thumb is even less delightful:-)
--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (01/16/86)

In article <6286@utzoo.UUCP> snell@utzoo.UUCP (Richard Snell) writes:
>...I will certainly admit that a toddler wandering around with a souse
>stuck in his/her mouth is not a very heart-warming sight... but a
>6 year old chewing on a thumb is even less delightful:-)

These are not the only alternatives.  We did not use pacifers for our
children, but encouraged them to express their feelings.  It never made
sense to me to encourage useless habits--my eight year old has developed
enough of them on her own without me.  If a child is hungry, let them eat,
if not but fussy, try to correct what is upsetting, if nothing is upsetting
then they are just in a bad mood and deserve to be treated as you would
your most beloved friend when he/she is in a bad mood: give them a listen
but don't take it too seriously.  If its a real bad mood it might take a
long listen--but I've done this for my adult friends in a bad way and I try
to do no less for my children.
	-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (01/25/86)

> I will certainly admit that a toddler wandering around with a souse
> stuck in his/her mouth is not a very heart-warming sight... but a
> 6 year old chewing on a thumb is even less delightful:-)

Personally, my mother thought pacifiers were an abomination.  When we
were very small, we chewed on wet wash cloths (*at* *home*).

I never felt deprived (that I can remember ;-), and I certainly don't
suck my thumb (swizzle sticks -- the little plastic ones for coffee --
are fair game! :-).

Without one *does* *not* default to using the other.

I guess you never miss what you've never had.

Barb