[net.kids] Orphaned Response

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (04/03/84)

#R:inmet:18800009:inmet:18800011:177600:648
inmet!bhyde    Apr  1 23:19:00 1984

I recieved four replies to my querry about strollers.  One said that
the he hoped I had an elevator in my building.  Two replies told me
that strollers are evil, and that I should carry my child, if its too
heavy to carry then it should learn to walk.  One said he and his
aquaintances like APRICA strollers, but that they were expensive and
that I should avoid the ones in the aprica line that don't fold up
completly.

We bought a grayco stroller, it cost 70$ and it folds flat, the seat goes
down to from a carrage, its pretty heavy.  These were a new product at
child world in Framingham Mass. were the sales person was very nice.
				ben hyde

sharonb@hp-pcd.UUCP (05/10/84)

Self-humor is always appreciated
.

sharonb@hp-pcd.UUCP (05/11/84)

On the other hand, both of my children are brown.  One is handicapped.
I notice that you feel they are better off than some other children.
Maybe you know my children.  I hope they do not waste their time ever
working for you.  Also, I hope you are not a teacher of theirs.  Also
I hope they never visit your home.
They really are very nice kids, by the way.  Many people share your
concerns.

larry@hpfclp.UUCP (larry) (08/11/84)

George says gay teachers shouldn't flaunt their gayness.  I don't
think any teacher should flaunt their sexuality in the classroom,
no matter what it is.

A response to George's second point: Reagan sure seems to be doing
everything he can to insure that TEACHERS can impose their religion
on their students.  To me that is a much greater concern than
parents imposing their religion on the children.

Larry Fenske

larry@hpfclp.UUCP (larry) (08/12/84)

"the standard model breast pump, with a squeeze bulb on
one end" tends to damage breast tissue by cutting into
the breast.

The "model which consists of two concentric cylinders
with a tight gasket between them", I have found at garage
sales for anywhere between $8 and $26 (list is ~$22).

I have found that starting a nursing baby on a bottle is
easier if the person giving the bottle is:
  [in order of importance]
  not the mother
  not a nursing mother
  male
  the father (ideal)

Also, keep in mind that as soon as a baby is fed something
that is not breast milk (even water) his stomach lining
changes.  One of the results of this change is that he
cannot absorb as much of the iron in breast milk.

L. Fenske, A.A.H.C.C.
(that's American Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth)

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (08/23/84)

pat king (response 5) touched on a point that I feel works really well
in converting a child from crib to bed.  The first step we took was to
put Becky (then 19 months) on a mattress on the floor (no frame or box
spring).  She loved it, because she could get in and out "all by myself".

After a month or so, we added the box spring underneath (still no frame).
With a bit more effort, she could still climb into bed by herself, and
was used to the size of the bed (i.e., her subconscience knew where the
edge was).

We don't plan to add the frame until she is big enough to get in by herself--
probably at about 4 years.

                                          Steve Wolf
                                          Hewlett-Packard
                                          Fort Collins, CO
                                          hpfcla!woof

P.S: Only one instance of falling out of bed so far.  But two nights ago,
we woke up to a meek "help.  help." coming from Becky's room.  I went to
investigate, and found that she had got under the sheet, and was laying on
the edge of the sheet so she couldn't get out!  Is this unique?

donn@hp-dcd.UUCP (08/29/84)

Nf-From: hp-dcd!donn    Aug 28 22:47:00 1984

It looks like all the votes I'm going to get on the topic of free
stuff (associated with a new baby) are in.

All but one indicated that the gimmick was probably associated with
the film:
	"You get one roll now, and when you turn it in for processing
	(at our prices), we'll send you the next one 'free'."
The developing looks as if it would cover the cost of the film, and
some of people who answered indicated that replacing the film was
standard operating procedure with such companies anyway; not much
of a giveaway!

I'll include the one response that differed significantly from the
above summary.  Since I didn't get explicit permission or requests
to post names, I'll keep all the responses anonymous.  My thanks to
all of you.

The one response:

	We had a similar experience.  Come listen to our sales pitch for baby
	furniture and we'll give you a $75 gift.  We went.  We did not buy. We
	spent 2 hours there.  The gift was ten free 8x10 color portraits . . .
	one per year.  But the company that takes the portraits comes to the
	house to take them so it isn't bad.  Of course they then try to sell
	you a dozen wallets and a couple of 5x7's for a hundred dollars, but
	if you know how to say NO! then it is worth it to spend the two hours.

(Amen to being able to say NO!).

Donn Terry
HP Ft. Collins, Co.

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (11/16/84)

As my daughter is crawling off the top of the changing table holding
a bar of soap in one hand and a ruler in the other I sometimes wonder
how anybody can change a diaper using diaper pins?  No part of this
young lady spends more than a tenth of a second in any single location
and most diaper changing takes place sort of in midair.

Biobottoms and their clones are an absolute necessity.  The local
diaper service has recently started selling a biobottom clone that is
made from nylon instead of wool, it cleans up easier.  But if you've
got a washing machine then that's not much of an issue.  The wool is
warmer, more "natural."

We discovered the only negative aspect to biobottoms recently.  It seems
my wife isn't quite as clever as my daughter. She didn't realize
that if Eleanor learned how to open velcro laced shoes that biobottoms
would surely follow.  This is going to make Eleanor real popular with ...
her parents.

As an aside everybody should drop into their local health food store
and try on a copy of Mothering magazine.  It is a good hearted modern
hippy kind of journal that is always entertaining.  The ads in the back
are full of fun stuff you couldn't find any other way; hand made
biobottoms from totally pure communes.  My favorite article
was on lotus birth; you see its important to let the placenta die a
natural death ( it seems this requires watering it... well never mind).

Go for them biobottoms!

		ben hyde, cambridge.

p.s. hi brian.

al@hpfclq.UUCP (al) (12/15/84)

Usually I just read thru the net without saying much but this one
hit home.  It amazes me when people say "oh, she doesn't work -- she's
just a housewife".  AAAGH!  My wife and I made a conscious decision:
she stays home to raise our three children while I work.  And when
you tell people that, they think 1) I'm a cruel man because I only
let my wife raise kids and 2) she couldn't get a job if she had to.

I also wonder.  Since when is raising children in a secure, stable
environment such a novelty?  Since when is it more important to
have two cars and vacation in Bermuda than provide a home for the
next generation?

Not meaning to offend, but my wife and I left California after a history
of five generations there because we felt like we were freaks.  We
have been much happier here in Colorado where children are treated
as a normal part of life instead of something you do to impress your
office partners.

al "oops, did i say that?" stone
hpfcla!al

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (02/15/85)

>> My question is, how and when should we move her to a bed?

We recently moved our daughter (age 21 months) from her crib, and it was
quite painless.  First, we set up the mattress and box spring --
directly on the floor, without a frame, so she can climb on and off by
herself.  Second, we started putting her there for occasional naps.
Finally, she slept a night there, and soon preferred it.  If she goes
another week without wanting to use the crib, I'll pull it out of the
room for good.

Rolled up blankets make sufficient bumpers to keep her from falling off.
Within two days she learned that she can get out of bed by herself in
the morning (climbing over the "bumpers") and pad into our bedroom.
This undoubtely has helped her enjoy the change.

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"

sct@lanl.UUCP (sct) (04/02/85)

To: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!rochester!ritcv!lbt3599
Subject: Re: VT100 or VT52 Emulator for the 1030 and/or 835 modems
Newsgroups: net.micro.atari
Bcc:

iThere is a public domain program called VT10SQ.  You'll get the
binary version, though its probably written in something like ACtion!
It's fairly commonly available, and emulates an 80 col. screen by
using graphics 8 mode to draw out characters & so on.  It runs with both
the 850 & 835/1030 modems thanks to Russ Wetmore etals. new R handler.
Send disk etc. if interested..its is public domain.
    Ravi    (I'm ravi@mcnc)
#! rnews 3569
Pa

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (06/18/85)

> Anyone else have young kids (under 3) who are very unhappy when woken up
> before they want to be?

It's certainly true of our two-year-old.  And I can't say as I blame her,
I think she's got the right idea, and all of us have grown out of it.
(Like, I don't want to get out of bed but it's getting late, right?)

Alan Silverstein

erickp@hpgrla.UUCP (erickp) (07/10/85)

We took our almost 3 year old daughter to see Return to Oz.  Both she and I
really enjoyed it.  I kept asking her if she was scared and if she wanted
to sit on my lap, but she said no to both questions.  She didn't take her
eyes off the screen the whole time.  My wife, however, was expecting the
lighthearted attitude of the popular
Wizard of Oz and so didn't enjoy the movie as much.  She did like it though.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (07/12/85)

> Be sure to have a rectal thermometer.

Those inexpensive, flexible plastic liquid-crystal forehead thermometers
are fast, easy, and reasonably accurate with practice.

Alan Silverstein

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (07/18/85)

>> The major problem about NutraSweet that I'm aware of (and it is marked
>> on the can) is that it contains Phenylalanine.  There is a hereditary
>> disease called Phenylketonuria (PKU) which involves the inability to
>> metabolize these anines.  The disease is called such because
>> Phenylketones show up in the urine.  Left untreated it can cause mental
>> retardation.  I don't believe it's much of a problem anymore because
>> they can detect it and all you do is keep the specific proteins out of
>> the baby's diet and it grows out of it.
>>
>> -Ron
>
>Babies born in hospitals are routinely checked for PKU - it's a simple
>blood test - before they are released.
>--
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Janet Smuga			I've had a great many troubles in my time,
>mtuxo!smuga			and most of them never happened.

There is a second test a week after the baby is born. Since the mother
and baby are usually discharged by then, it's a return trip to the lab.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (07/21/85)

Re: sugar causes diabetes

> 0.  Long-term consumption can cause diabetes by "burning-out" the pancreas.

Diabetes runs in my family, so at my last thorough exam I asked my doctor
(an experienced GP) a more general question:

Q:  Does sugar intake level influence onset of diabetes?

A:  No.

Q:  (With surprise)  Really?  You mean, even though I'm at risk, I don't
    need to limit my intake as a precaution?

A:  There doesn't appear to be any correlation between high intake and
    diabetes onset.  [Or words to that effect.]

Now, if anyone has information to the contrary, I'd like to hear it,
here, in net.med, or by mail.  Thanks!

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (rodean) (07/24/85)

> I just read the Atlantic Monthly article on aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal)
> last night.  (August 1985 issue, pp 14-20.)

>	                                             In his book
>	'Sweet and Dangerous', which was published in 1972, Yudkin
>	talks about sugar as if it were the universal usurper of
>	humankind's vital sap -- a poison.

>	At a meeting of the International Dairy Federation in
>	1973 he boasted that his research on sugar would soon
>	"free butterfat from guilt."

I'm not going to jump on either bandwagon here, but it seems to me that
medical research that is 12-13 years old might be rather dated and not
really useful. Anyone care to comment on that?

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

cindy@ada-uts.UUCP (08/05/85)

     I wanted a stroller for my baby which would fold into a carriage,
 so I went out to see what was availiable.  I bought a LUV Buggy
 (maybe you've seen them on TV).  My main reason was that of the
 comparably priced ($50) it was miles above the rest, and of the
 comparably equiped (Aprica, etc. ) it was only half ( or 1/3) the
 price.($100 - $150).  The only thing I would have liked is for
 the ability to see my daughter when she's lying in it, but this
 has not really caused either of us any problems.

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (rodean) (08/05/85)

>>> I'm looking for those signs that people are  putting  in  car  windows
>>> that  say something about a "Child in car".  Anyone that knows where I
>>> can find them, please send me some E-mail.  Thank you.
>>>
>>Why? People will continue to drive like assholes, with or without
>>"Child in Car" signs.
>>
>>If you have an accident, are people more likely to rescue you
>>when you have one of those signs?
>>
>>Yet another sign of Yuppidom! :-)
>And, if I saw several cars involved in an accident, your damn right I would
>rescue the people in the car with the sign first! If the kids weren't
>involved, they still need their parents somewhat intact.

I see one major problem with this. A lot of the time I notice that there
are no kids in the car, yet the decal is there all the time. You would
waste your time (and risk your life) for nothing.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (08/06/85)

> Pediatricians are divided on whether extensive swimming training for
> children under 4 is healthy.

Hmmm...  Our daughter, age 2.2, has swum about half an hour per week
almost since birth, without any problems we've noticed.  Dunno if you'd
call that extensive or not.  Anyway, she sure enjoys it, and is learning
rapidly.  She already holds her breath well, likes to jump in (even from
diving boards), and handles herself competently in water up to her chin.
Before long she will probably be "drownproofed" (our major goal).

For a while I pushed her to learn to hold her breath.  This resulted in
her swallowing water more than I liked, and she clearly didn't enjoy it,
so I backed off.  Given the opportunity, young kids learn fast to swim
well and enjoy it, but there is little to gain by pushing too hard,
either.  I'm all for "reasonable" swimming training from day one.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (08/12/85)

>      I wanted a stroller for my baby which would fold into a carriage,

Why would you want to fold your baby into a carriage?:-:-:-:_

tp@ndm20 (10/25/85)

I'll take a stab at these.  Warning:  my  first child  is now rapidly
approaching 2 years old, so  I am  not exactly  an old  hand at this.
I'm hoping to benefit from the ensuing discussion myself.

>Other questions:
>
>If any children I have are gifted, should I allow privileges and rights
>by calendar age or by the age they exhibit themselves as?

This is a toughie.  The seemingly obvious answer is to  give them all
the freedom and responsibility they can handle, thus  giving you more
time to  educate them  in such  things before  they grow  up and stop
listening.  However, a kid with markedly more freedom and
responsibility could have  trouble with  his peers  depending on what
type of person he associates with.  In general, I'd  say calendar age
is not a good way to do it, but watch for any signs that he is having
trouble with peers for being different (children can be very cruel to
a kid who is perceived as different.

>It is my feeling that the "blackboard jungle" would corrupt any child.
>I don't want my children, should I have any, become John Q. Public,
>easily manipulated by peers, press, and experimental teaching styles.
>Would it be advisable to have a child tutored at home by professionals
>( ie. engineers, scientists, linguists ) and have him/her take the GRE
>early?

Carefully  consider  your  child's  social  education.    Learning to
interact  with  peers  is  one of  school's important  functions.  My
father was  advanced in  grade and  refused to  allow my  to be moved
ahead for precisely that reason.  To this date I think he made a wise
decision.   If  you can  not trust  your local  public school system,
consider moving or sending your children to private  school.  Beware,
with private school, that your children may not have  many friends in
their  neighborhood,  unless  you live  in a  neighborhood where many
children  go to  that same  private school.   See  the above comments
about children perceived as different.

As an aside, this lack of  social education  may explain  some of the
mental instability in your family.  You say that high intelligence is
a  factor.   I have  heard that  high intelligence  correlates with a
higher incidence of mental illness, but so does difficulty in dealing
with  people.    If  your  intelligent ancestors  have been typically
advance many years in grade, or had tutors, they will have had little
chance  to  interact  socially  with  their  peers, and  may not have
learned to cope with people.  Even  casual relationships  can be very
stressful to such  a person.   Such  stress, and  the loneliness that
ensues from the lack of satisfying relationships,  can easily account
for  mental  instability,  especially  various  forms  of depression,
paranoia, and psychosis (if you think a paranoid is  only someone who
thinks the world is out to get him, look it up).

I am only an armchair psychologist, but I speak in part from personal
experience.

>I guess these are silly questions that only exhibit to all that perhaps
>I should wait until my mid-forties until I get married.

The fact that you are thinking of such topics well  before the issues
arise  indicate  that  you  will  probably  be  a responsible parent,
something the world seems sorely lacking in today...

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

tower@inmet.UUCP (01/13/86)

In article <941@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:

>I only have two, fiarly close in age and the best thing I've come up with
>is when I hear them fighting over anything, I calmly walk over, take the
>object in question, walk to the garbage can (in sight of both of them) and
>deposit the offending item.  This may or may not be accompanied by something
>like. "Keep fighting and ALL your toys will be in the garbage."

One thing it definitely teaches the children is that people are more
important than objects.  Both their siblings and their parents.  It
wouldn't hurt to back this up with a few words, but the message is clear.

My hat off to you, Allison!

Len Tower

UUCP:       {bellcore,ima,ihnp4}!inmet!tower
INTERNET:   ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA

rachel@ada-uts.UUCP (01/27/86)

I can't answer this from the point of view of a parent, but I was
also an avid (compulsive?) reader at a young age.  My advice about
book club forms which ask for grade level instead of reading level:
Lie, basically.  If your son is reading on a sixth grade level, tell
them sixth grade.  I'm assuming you are doing this on your own, rather
than through a school.

From my own memories, I don't think that the difference in subject matter
will matter very much.  In non-fiction, the reading level (and
level of presentation) is  more important for holding interest.
In fiction, there are plenty of books listed for older children that
will be fine for younger ones.  For example, the "Little House" series
is beyond most first graders' reading ability, but will probably hold
a better reader's attention.

cindy@ada-uts.UUCP (01/27/86)

     I recently went to Stride Rite to buy shoes for my 10 mo. old.  She
has started to walk along the furniture, and she refuses to leave her
socks on (it's cold here in January).  I chose a pair of their soft
leather soled training shoes.  They had a couple of pamflets on children's
shoes.  One included a list of 10 most asked questions about children's
shoes.  This basically said that shoes help stability, and keep the toddler
from stubbing his toes( toddlers don't watch their feet!).  Flat leather
soles were recommended over sneakers for several reasons.  The flat soles
offer more stability over curved rubber soles.  Rubber soles tend to be
stiffer, not allowing the toes to curve.  Rubber soles tend to 'stick'
on the floor causing the child to tumble. And sneakers tend to come in
only a medium width, so they don't fit well.  Megan has a EE width so
this was important to me.

     BTW, Stride Rite does sell sneakers so this isn't just a ploy to get
you to choose their shoes.

                   Cindy Baehr

NET: {harpo, allegro, bellcore, ihnp4}!inmet!ada-uts!cindy

I do not work for Stride Rite shoes.

----------

cindy@ada-uts.UUCP (01/27/86)

     I had a similar problem with my daughter when she was two
months and I had to get her used to a bottle for daycare.  One
try with the bottle, and she refused to nurse! (they don't mention
this one in the breast feeding books).

     I refused to express milk for her just because she didn't want
to do the work herself, so when she refused the breast, I put her down
until the next feeding time.  It took about two feedings, but she
finally realized that she wasn't getting anything else.  I also had
to listen to her scream for 4 hours, but I figure that if she is really
hungry, she is going to eat.

     Your baby is younger, so I don't know how this relates, but it
worked for me.